All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Yesterday
  2. Mac OS High Sierra Drag and Drop Coding Issue

I have the same issue. Not sure why Ruth is being asked to send more details. She explains it thoroughly. I have submitted a ticket request just now. Clearly, Nvivo needs to update it's High Sierra Compatibility rather than stalling!
  3. Collapsing node name column

Thanks Heather, I can't customise the list view with the detail view open because the 'Customise' menu option is greyed-out for me unless the list view is the only thing open. I'm guessing that's not the case for you? Hiding the Navigation View while I'm working to maximise space is a good suggestion. Thanks again, Helen PS Apologies for slightly hasty reply. I have a publisher deadline today. :-)
  4. Collapsing node name column

Hi Helen, Thanks for giving that a go. I’ve just tried following the workaround steps again with the node list view as the only thing open and I was able to replicate what you’ve experienced. Can you please try following those steps again, but with the list view displayed to the left of the detail view? Customising the list view from here should hide these columns as expected. Another thing that may be helpful to you would be to minimise or hide the navigation view. This would let you have some more screen space to display the list view and might make this problem less noticeable. You can hide the navigation view completely by clearing the “Navigation View” checkbox on the “View” tab. If you would like to minimise the navigation view you can do so by clicking on the “<” arrow at the top of the navigation view. Regards, Heather
  5. Collapsing node name column

Thanks very much for your help, Heather. It is enormously appreciated. Unfortunately, when I tried your suggestion (which sounded like an excellent workaround) it didn't work. When I remove the additional columns from the list view they stop showing when the list view is the only thing on the screen. But if the nodes list is displayed to the left of another window (e.g. a source or node detail view) the list still shows the additional columns. It is in this view that the problem is particularly apparent because the node list is only the width of a bookmark pane (rather than most of the screen). Sorry if I'm missing something really simple here...but if you do know a way to fix this then I'd really appreciate a further tip! Thanks again for your help. Helen
  6. Collapsing node name column

Hi Helen, I’ve passed feedback about this issue to the relevant team. If you’re not interested in the number of nodes or references, as a workaround you can customise the list view to not display the “Sources” and “References” columns. This should stop the list view from automatically resizing columns. To do this: On the “View” tab click “List View” and then “Customize…” In the “Selected columns” list select “Sources” and then click “<<” to remove this column Repeat this process for the “References” column Click “OK” Regards, Heather
  7. Hi Lynn, The options to print “Classification” and “Attributes” are greyed out when printing a theme node and this is the expected behaviour. These options are only available when printing a case node or source that has been classified. The best way to show the information you’re after would be to print your node with coding stripes turned on for each attribute value you are interested in. Please see the following link for how you can display coding stripes for case attribute values: http://help-nv11.qsrinternational.com/desktop/procedures/use_coding_stripes_to_explore_coding.htm?#MiniTOCBookMark9 Regarding how you’re coding your sources, typically, you would code anything relevant to the case to the case node (e.g. their responses to interview questions, etc.) and anything relevant to your theme nodes to the theme node, and it seems like this is what you have done. Regards, Heather
  8. Hi there, I have recently been having a problem with being able to see node names while working in NVivo. I use Detail View with the node names to the left of the main document pane. I have a lot of tree nodes and usually work with trees collapsed until I need something from a particular branch - at which point I will expand that branch, find what I need, and then collapse it again. However, every time I expand or collapse a tree, the column width of the node name changes, usually rendering node names unreadable. Is there a setting somewhere that I can change to prevent this happening? It's extremely annoying having to change column widths every time I do something. I've provided screen shots below to try to show what I mean. If anyone can tell me how to fix this I will be profoundly grateful! Thanks Helen Example Imagine I am working on methodologies. My tree nodes look like this: I want to look at something within the Diaries tree so I expand the tree. This happens: I re-expand the name field so that I can see the nodes in the Dairies tree. It looks like this: I want to explore some of the benefits of Diaries so I expand the Benefits tree. It does this: And so on... You can probably see that this gets pretty frustrating quite quickly. I do understand some of the complexities of this display...but earlier versions of NVivo seemed to manage it and if I could just find a way to make the node names remain visible as I expand and collapse the trees (I'm not particularly interested in the Sources and References fields while doing this work) then that would save me a lot of frustration. Big thanks to anyone who can offer any help!
  9. Last week
  10. I wanted to be able to select attributes so that they are shown when I am looking at printouts of coding at nodes. For example, when looking at everything coded on gender equality issues at work, I could be reminded of the age and educational qualification level of the person. There are boxes for doing this on the print dialogue screen, however, classification and attributes are greyed out and unavailable. I think the problem is that I've coded sources instead of cases and somehow my nodes are not connected to the case in the way I expected. My project is not complicated. My cases are people described by attributes and there is one source, an interview transcript, per person. Transcripts are coded to multiple nodes. When you view the source you see lots of references. At case level, I have only one reference per case, which is the whole interview transcript. It seems that I need all the coding to nodes at source level to also to be attached to the case? Is there a solution?
  11. Query results vanish upon coding to a node

Hi, It is correct that query results disappear when you code from a source. This occurs because query results become obsolete when you code to a node. I have raised this with our Product Team so that user experience can be improved in future. Regards, Bhupesh
  12. Mac OS High Sierra Drag and Drop Coding Issue

Hi Ruth, I have tested drag and drop coding using Mac OS High Sierra, but so far have not been able to reproduce this issue. Can you please submit a support request form at the below link as we’ll need some more details from you to be able to troubleshoot this problem. http://www.qsrinternational.com/nvivo/contact-us/customer-support Thanks, Heather
  13. Linking a batch of webpages (NCapture)

Hi Inbal, It is not possible to capture multiple websites at once and I am sorry, we are not aware of any workarounds. Kind Regards, Bhupesh
  14. Hi, In order to link your case attributes to sources, you simply need to code from sources to the cases. When this happens, you should be able to run queries based on attributes across your sources. If you had separate single interview sources for each participant, you could have created each source as a case. Using "Create as Case" option codes whole source to respective case automatically. Kind Regards, Bhupesh
  15. Hi Mackie, You can open the source and turn on Coding Stripes for All Nodes Coding to see the nodes data has been coded to. Refer to the link below for detailed information on Coding Stripes: http://help-nv11.qsrinternational.com/desktop/procedures/use_coding_stripes_to_explore_coding.htm I hope this helps. Kind Regards, Bhupesh
  16. Recovering project from a. nvb file

Hi Alicja, I have attached a corrupt dummy project with this post to help you recover the project from the nvb file. Download, unzip and extract the attached file to your computer. Then attempt to open it in NVivo. You will be presented with an option to recover from a project recovery file. Select your nvb file to recover the project. I hope this helps. Kind Regards, Bhupesh NV11CorruptProject(for restoring project backups).nvp.zip
  17. Hi, I was able to use the drag and drop coding feature in Nvivo fine in the past, but it seems to have stopped working since I upgraded to Mac Os High Sierra. I am still able to select and pick up a piece of text and drag it to the nodes display, at which point the animation shrinks the text I have selected (see image). However the code I am holding it over does not become highlighted and when I release the mouse button it does not code. I am using Nvivo 11.4.2 Please help. Ruth
  18. Anything? Any help would be much appreciated. I thought I should create each source (i.e. each interview audio file) as case (i.e. Create As>Create As Cases> Assign to classification) so that Source: John - Interview 1 is assigned to Case: John but the problem is about aggregation. If I aggregate it, it counts John twice in the cases. If I don't aggregate it I can't see what John's nodes based on the multiple interviews. Fingers crossed some of you NVIVO pros can help out
  19. Hi, I was working on a project (coding a number of interviews into nodes). I forgot to save the project and my computer restarted in the meantime. When I opened NVivo project again, I can only see my work from the previous day, which means that nodes only have a small number of interviews coded into it. I checked the recovery folder and there is a 'nvb' file there, but I can't open it. The software did not prompt me to recover the file upon the re-opening. Is there anything I can do to recover the work? Thanks!
  20. Earlier
  21. Number of Memos per Source

Hi Doug, It is not possible to link multiple memos to a single source because each source or node can have one memo linked to it and that memo cannot be linked to any other item. Kind Regards, Bhupesh
  22. When I run a text query, open a source in a separate tab, and then code to a node in that source, the query results window/tab vanishes. Then I have to rerun the query and find where I left off, which is time-consuming and unnecessary. This happens whether the source I'm coding is a PDF or a memo. At first, I couldn't figure out what action was resulting in the query results window vanishing, but eventually diagnosed that it only happens when I could to a node in a source opened in a separate tab. I found this forum topic which seems relevant, but it's for NVivo 9 and I can't replicate the suggested solution in NVivo 11. I also couldn't find any error log as recommended in this topic: Is there a solution to this problem? If not, I'd like to report it as something that needs fixing in future updates/versions. Thank you.
  23. Hello, I have a long list of websites I would like to capture, is there a way to capture them in bulk instead of doing it one by one? Thank you, Inbal
  24. Hello all. I wonder if you can help. I am trying to link sources to case classifications. Under case classifications I have a list of the interviewees with details about their gender and background. I have a number of sources - interviews (sometimes 2 files), notes, etc. The sources are coded but I wanted to run analysis seeing how noding changes depending on gender and background. To do that I'll need to link the sources to each case. How would I do that in such a way I could run an appropriate query? Thanks.
  25. Import classification sheet Error.

Hi Betty, To investigate, could you send us your classification sheet via a support request at http://www.qsrinternational.com/nvivo/contact-us/customer-support & we'll get back to you? Kind Regards, Bhupesh
  26. MacOS High Sierra won't let me use NVIVO

Hi Kate, The latest update to MacOS introduced a new file system that is not compatible with older versions of NVivo for Mac. Support for the Apple file system (apfs) was introduced in the latest update of NVivo for Mac Version 11. Please follow the steps below to update your NVivo for Mac: 1. Make sure the NVivo application is closed before you install the new version. (You may need to right click NVivo icon in the dock and click Quit) 2. Download NVivo for Mac(version 11) from our Downloads page below: http://www.qsrinternational.com/support/downloads 3. Locate and double-click the NVivo.dmg file that you downloaded. 4. Drag the NVivo icon into your Applications folder. 5. During the installation, if you are asked whether you wish to replace the older version of NVivo, click Replace. 6. Go to Finder>Applications, right click NVivo icon and click Get Info. Confirm that it shows version 11.4.2 7. Double click same NVivo icon, paste your license if prompted and activate the software. Once this is done, you should be able to work on NVivo projects. I hope this helps. Kind Regards, Bhupesh
  27. I have just upgraded my Mac Air to MacOS High Sierra. Yesterday on the old system no problem getting into my projects until I upgraded. I'm using NVIVO 11 for Mac. The message is: Cannot open or save projects on disk “Macintosh HD” The disk has an unsupported disk format (apfs) that prevents NVivo from saving changes. Please copy the project to a supported disk and open it from there. Does anyone have a solution? It would be much appreciated.
  28. I have just upgraded my Mac Air to MacOS High Sierra. Yesterday on the old system no problem getting into my projects until I upgraded. I'm using NVIVO 11 for Mac. The message is: Cannot open or save projects on disk “Macintosh HD” The disk has an unsupported disk format (apfs) that prevents NVivo from saving changes. Please copy the project to a supported disk and open it from there. Does anyone have a solution? It would be much appreciated.
  1. Load more activity