All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. QSRSupport

Duplicate Cases in Coding Comparison

Hi Aatrainor, It’s likely we’ll need to take a look at your project to see what is going on. Can you please submit a support request at the following link and we’ll be able to arrange for you to send us your project: https://bit.ly/2CFUHRk Cheers, Heather
  3. Yesterday
  4. aatrainor

Nvivo 12?

As a leader for two teams using NVivo analysis, I second Charles' request!
  5. Hello: We have two focus groups and two coders. Both coders coded each focus group. I ran a coding comparison between Matt and Amanda, the coders. The results show that there are two cases for each participant and that the coders have 100% agreement on one and then the actual % agreement (e.g., 94%) on the other, duplicate case). Looking at Cases and Case classifications, I see one instance for each participant, as it should be. How did this happen and how can I correct? There are only two files, Focus Group 1 and Focus Group 2 and the participants were either in FG1 or FG2. Thanks, Audrey
  6. QSRSupport

Nvivo 12?

Hi Charles, Thanks for the feedback on our forum. I have passed this along to the relevant team and hopefully we’ll be seeing some changes shortly. Regards, Heather
  7. QSRSupport

Modify transcription font?

Hi Charles, When editing the transcription text you will only be able to change the formatting of one transcript row at a time. You will need to select the text you want to format, selecting an entire row or rows of your transcript won’t allow you to select a new font size or style. If you are wanting to change the formatting of an entire transcript and haven’t done any coding to it yet a quicker way to do this might be to export the transcript out of NVivo, make any formatting changes required in Word or similar and then reimport the transcript. You can find information on exporting and importing transcripts at the following link: https://help-nv.qsrinternational.com/12/win/v12.1.84-d3ea61/Content/files/import-audio-video-transcripts.htm If you would like to request more transcription editing options in NVivo, we use an easy and user-friendly online tool called Canny to gather all our customer feedback. May I request that you click on the following link https://nvivo.canny.io/ and share your feature suggestion here by creating a post. You can also vote on posts created by other users. When you post or vote on a feature, you will start receiving notification via Canny on the planned/in progress/completed actions. Regards, Heather
  8. Last week
  9. Charles Weir

Nvivo 12?

Please could we have a forum for Nvivo 12? Best, Charles
  10. Charles Weir

Modify transcription font?

I've made a great discovery with normal text files. By zooming them about 25% they're enormously easier to read, and much easier to code as well; I had always been having problems with off-by-one-character errors. But I can't find a way to enlarge the transcription text. Even if I edit the transcription, the font selection options are greyed out. How do I do it? In hope, Charles
  11. I have the same issue and the posted .nvp file does not seem to download. Thank you for any assistance
  12. Hello: I have a licensed NVivo project that will not open. Please advise my project is corrup and I would like to restore. NVivo messages that restoration is not possible.
  13. Earlier
  14. Hi- Moving file from one PC to another (each with a valid NVivo 12 Plus license) via Google Drive (not opened there, of course), was prompted to convert file to NVivo 12 file, which I did. Was prompted going the other way as well. In both cases, coding for 8 out of 10 coded interview transcripts has disappeared. No clear guidance on how to restore a NVB file, which I hope holds previously coded interview files. Please help? Also, I'm unable to find online straightforward guidance on how to restore a file like this - perhaps I've missed it? - seems that would be especially helpful and smart. Please advise. Thanks! ~Carrie
  15. Hi Bhupesh, Thanks for your advice. I merged the project into a blank new project, however, the issue still persists. It also seems to get more frequent. NVivo is now crashing all the time while I am coding which is incredibly frustrating. I submitted a support request, but, unfortunately, I am unable to attach the project file as it is larger than 900MB... Hope you can still advise. Look forward to hearing back from you soon. Kind regards, Ruben
  16. Hello @rsh, When working with datasets it is always better to format source file before importing into Nvivo. Therefore, the simplest solution for your question will be NOT converting -99 with blanks. Keep it as it is, then import and auto-code as you desire. After that, all you need to do is to find "-99" text in coded text of a certain node using search function, then un-code them all from that very same node. The reference count will be same as number of responses. Hope this helps,
  17. Hi, I believe a Matrix Coding Query will be helpful. You can add Respondents(Cases) as Rows and Questions(Nodes) as Columns of the matrix and run the query. The resulting Matrix will show number of common coding reference across each intersection of Nodes and Cases. Here is the detailed information on Matrix Coding Query: http://help-nv11.qsrinternational.com/desktop/procedures/run_a_matrix_coding_query.htm I hope this helps. Kind Regards, Bhupesh
  18. PeterTheSbam

Highlighting in different colors

I just put a note on an old thread also requesting that you should be able to see what node the text has been coded at by running a mouse over it (or right-clicking it).
  19. PeterTheSbam

What is coded

Coming back again to this topic. I like the text highlighting. However, the two functions mentioned in Marcus's post would be really valuable. In particular, as someone running a team project, it would be really helpful for me to be able to go through files and see which nodes the individual highlights have been coded at.
  20. QSRSupport

Annotations

Hi Julie, At this stage, it is not possible to export or print Annotations in NVivo for Mac. Please feel free to raise a feature suggestion at https://nvivo.canny.io/ by creating a post. You can also vote on posts created by other users. When you post or vote on a feature, you will start receiving notification via Canny on the planned/in progress/completed actions. You can view all the annotations in Notes>Annotations folder. Kind Regards, Bhupesh
  21. In my office, we regularly code the responses to open-ended survey questions using NVivo. One issue we not have been able to resolve is the best way to deal with non-responses to open-ended survey questions when importing survey data into NVivo. Ideally, when viewing the node for each open-ended question in list view in NVivo, we would like the count of references to display the correct number of valid responses to each survey question (i.e. we would like the reference count to exclude non-responses). Even if we import all non-responses as blank cells (and replace all --99 missing values from Qualtrics with blanks), the reference count for each question node in NVivo references the total number of rows in the spreadsheet for each question (including blank cells), rather than the number of valid responses. We have found a workaround to filter out the non-response data from each question node using a separate classification sheet which indicates whether each respondent answered each question. However, this process has been very time intensive. If anyone has a solution to this issue, your advice would be very much appreciated!
  22. Karma

Export concept map as svg file

I agree, this would be a very useful option.
  23. Karma

Highlighting in different colors

This feature has been requested for YEARS during beta testing and product evaluation surveys, yet we are still waiting. I third this request in this thread.
  24. Jules

Annotations

Hi there! I have multiple annotations on my transcription, as well as using nodes. Is there a way to print the transcript with the annotations AND the nodes (similar to how you can print the transcript with nodes in NVivo for Mac)? Or how is it possible to look at it from the bigger picture? Thanks! Julie
  25. Would that also work for longitudinal interviews where there would be anywhere between 1 to 10 interviews per participant, for multiple participants? Thanks!
  26. PeterTheSbam

How to manually code a dataset?

Hi Bupesh, I'm not sure you've fully understood what I'm trying to do, so maybe I can try again. I have about 1700 essays to code each semester, and want to repeat the exercise in subsequent semesters. 1) Consequently, when it comes to CODING my data, I would like to be able to "Autocode my data based on existing coding patterns". From my understanding of how the Autocode functionality works, I will get a better result if I code as precisely as possible. 2) However, when it comes to ANALYSING my data, I would like to be able to perform matrix analyses of my data. (For example, I might like to know which respondents talk about teamwork AND a growth mindset.). From my understanding of how the analysis engine works, I can only do this if the entire essay (i.e. the entire cell in the excel spreadsheet) is coded at both nodes. Clearly, these two imperatives are in conflict. Is there some way around it, or do I need to code my data twice, into two separate folders, once for later autocoding and once for analysis?
  27. QSRSupport

How to manually code a dataset?

Hi Peter, Coding the entire row will be fine because this will code all the codeable cells in a row at once. Note that this will create number of references based on how many codeable cells are there in the row. You can also code entire columns to relevant topic. Please refer to the link below to understand how you can use automatic coding for above purpose: http://help-nv11.qsrinternational.com/desktop/procedures/automatic_coding_in_dataset_sources.htm You can then run a Matrix Query between your Cases and Topic to find out what a student said about a particular topic. Manually coding each cell would definitely be more precise but it will involve a lot of work. Kind Regards, Bhupesh
  28. Hi Ruben, To try and resolve your issue, try merging your project into a blank new project. To do this: 1. In NVivo, create a blank new project. 2. Click the Import tab and the click the Project icon. The 'Import Project' dialog box appears. 3. Click Browse and navigate to and select your project file from the Desktop. 4. Click Import. Once the import finishes, see if this issue is resolved in this new project file, which contains your entire project data. If the issue still persists, can you please send us the project file by submitting a support request at https://qsrinternational.com/nvivo/contact-us/customer-support ? Kind Regards, Bhupesh
  29. I have a dataset of student essays - 1700 essays in 20 excel files, which I've imported into NVivo 12 Plus. The database is structured with two files per week and one row per student for each week. There is a set of identifiers (student name, date, etc), with the student ID being the unique identifier in each file (and common across files). There is a node for each weekly essay, with each essay imported as a single excel cell. I want to content analyse the essays for the topics the students talk about. I'm not getting the results I want with machine coding, so I'm going to hand code two of the files (170 essays). Here's the problem: - On one hand I want to analyse the relationship between the codes. (student x talked about topic 1 and topic 2). That suggests attaching the code to the entire cell. - On the other hand, I want to reuse the codes in the future on other files via machine coding. That suggests making the codes as precise as possible. The question is, do I attach the codes to individual sentence fragments, or do I attach them to the entire excel cell? If I attach them to sentence fragments, is there a way of analysing them as if they were attached to the entire cell? Thanks.
  1. Load more activity