All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Last week
  2. mjhill02

Nvivo 12 help thread on the forum

Agreed! It would be helpful to have a dedicated NVIVO 12 thread. 😁
  3. charlotten22

Help! Recovering a corrupted file

For anyone who is browsing the forums, this is the information that QSR support gave me. Please note that it did NOT work for me. I was not able to open the html file with NVivo. However, posting here in the event that it works for you. 1. Download and save the attached file to your computer 2. Open NVivo, click on Open Other Project, then browse and select the dummy file saved in step 1. 3. You will be presented with an option to recover from a project recovery file. Select your .nvb file from the list to recover the project. If your project does not appear in the list, you can try searching your computer for any .nvb files, these are project recovery files. 4. The project will open once recovery is complete. NV12CorruptProject (for restoring project backups)_nvp.html
  4. This has happened to me several times in NVivo 12 over the past few months (I work on my local desktop and regularly save my file, but it fails to save - I can see the recovery nvb file, but when I try to open it I get a message that the file format is invalid) and the QSR support has never successfully helped me. The last time this happened, they sent me the attached file. I was not able to open this file in NVivo as it's an html, and NVivo won't allow me to select an html file to open. However, I'm attaching it here in case anyone else finds it useful. The steps they instructed me to take are: 1. Download and save this file on your computer 2. Open NVivo, click on "open other project" then browse and select the dummy file saved in step 1 3. You will be presented with an option to recover from a project recovery file. Select your .nvb file from the list to recover the project. If your project does not appear in the list, you can try searching your computer for any .nvb files, these are project recovery files. 4. The project will open once recovery is complete. If anyone finds this to be actually useful can you please reply with the steps you used? I'm at a loss and incredibly frustrated with the NVivo bugs and lack of QSR support. Thanks! NV12CorruptProject (for restoring project backups)_nvp.html
  5. Hello, I like the feature in NVIVO 12 (Windows 64 bit Plus version) that allows you to import notes from an Evernote account. The problem I am having is that the notes are imported as a PDF and the font is "extremely small." I went through all of the Evernote notes and changed the font size to 24 pt. before I uploaded them, which helped. But when NVIVO converts the Evernote notes into PDF files, the text has a really large number of words per line (~25). This makes it difficult to turn on the coding strips and see recent coding. I can reduce the size of the PDF using the slider bar, creating room for at least some coding stripes, but then the text gets really small and difficult to read again. Is there a better way to import Evernote Notes into NVIVO that doesn't require: 1) Enlarging the font in the notes before import; 2) Creating a more reader friendly PDF of the notes that doesn't display such a large amount of text on each line. Thanks!!!
  6. Great. Thanks! I was clicking the File tab in the NVIVO 12 task bar, not the purple file tab on the NVIVO 12 Plus Window. When I clicked the latter, I was able to get to the help menu above, click on help, and activate the license. Thanks again!
  7. I have the same problem. Where can I get the dummy file? Also working with NVIVO 12. Thank you!
  8. Hi mjhill02, You do not need to uninstall/reinstall NVivo in order to activate the license key. As the trial is still running you can wait until it expires, at that time NVivo will prompt for a new license key. Using the help menu, you should see Manage License options (see screenshot). Deactivate will not be available if a project is currently open. If you cannot activate the license key or see any error messages, can you please log a support ticket via the below link and include a screenshot of the error: https://qsrinternational.com/nvivo/contact-us/customer-support Regards, ^NVivoSup
  9. Hello, I am looking for help activating a license key for a trial version of NVIVO 12 that I have been using in trial mode for the past week. The instructions say: Click the File tab, click Help, then click Manage License, and then click Activate License. On the License Activation dialog box, enter your details. Fields marked with an asterisk (*) must be completed. Click Activate. When I open NVIVO 12, and click on the File Tab, there is no Help option. (Options are New, Open, Close, Save, Print). There is another File Tab when I first open NVIVO that says Help and Tutorials at the bottom, but when I click on that Help Tab, it takes me to the NVIVO 12 Manual, and again, there is no Help tab. I guess I can wait until the Trial expires, and NVIVO will probably ask me for the License at that point. Or do I need to uninstall NVIVO 12, and reinstall it, and then enter the license key on install? Very frustrating that something so basic is so complicated. Thanks for any suggestions!!!
  10. Hi, I've experienced the same issue that the file I was working on says it's corrupt - I was working on it via a network drive so I wonder if it lost connection at some point. Unfortunately, the link for the dummy file posted above (NV11CorruptProject(for restoring project backups).nvp) doesn't work for me. Is it possible for you to post it again or provide an alternative solution? I'm working in NVIVO 12. Many thanks
  11. QSRSupport

Play Speed Control not Working

Hi serranoang, Can you please log a support request via this link: https://qsrinternational.com/nvivo/contact-us/customer-support and include a screenshot showing where the play control is greyed out. Regards, NVivoSup
  12. Sanjana

SQL Server 2017?

Is there any technical reason why the latest version of NVivo for Windows (I use 12 Plus for doctoral research) still runs on SQL Server 2014? I have a high-end PC, but the queries and other database related work takes ages (on databases with around 100,000 records). Task Manager shows very poor utilisation of existing and available system resources, which suggests that NVivo's reliance on years old database technology from Microsoft serious holds back its potential.
  13. AmirM

IDs for References

Hello, Does NVivo give IDs to references? For example, I want to report (in Word) a particular quote that exists as a reference in NVivo, and I want to put an ID in my report that will help me trace this particular reference in the NVivo project. Is there an easy way to do this? Or do I have to keep track of the document to which this quote belongs and the page number in which it is located? Thanks, Amir
  14. Earlier
  15. Hi, Sorry to hear that issue hasn't been resolved. Could you please reply to one of our emails so that we can assist you in resolving the issue with your license? Kind Regards, Bhupesh
  16. Hi, It doesn't seem possible to generate such a detailed report in NVivo 11. You can try running some of the predefined reports to see if you can use the data from those reports. Note that Node Classification Summary Report/ Extract does not return any results. Also, creating a custom Report/ Extract using the Case Classification view returns no results. Refer to the link below for more information on Reports: http://help-nv11.qsrinternational.com/desktop/procedures/understand_predefined_reports_and_extracts.htm You may also find Matrix Query helpful. Refer to the link below: http://help-nv11.qsrinternational.com/desktop/procedures/run_a_matrix_coding_query.htm Kind Regards, Bhupesh
  17. QSRSupport

Finding patterns in my data

Hi Sarah, You can run a Matrix Coding query between your nodes and interviews, and open each matrix cell to see the overlap. http://help-nv11mac.qsrinternational.com/desktop/procedures/run_a_matrix_coding_query.htm Another method is to open an interview, turn on Coding Stripes for Nodes and manually check the overlap. http://help-nv11mac.qsrinternational.com/desktop/procedures/use_coding_stripes_to_explore_coding.htm Kind Regards, Bhupesh
  18. QSRSupport

uncoding mass data from Ncapture

Hi Scotty, You can right click on the dataset, click Uncode and select the items you want to uncode it from. In regards to your second question, it is not possible to edit a dataset in NVivo. But you can uncode the data from one dataset and code the data to nodes/cases belonging to another dataset. Kind Regards, Bhupesh
  19. Hi, Participants in our project complete an interview at the end of the intervention, and then do three follow up interviews at various time intervals. I am wondering if there is a way I can code all of the interviews belonging to one participant, without increasing the number of sources at each node? Or, if there is a way to add an additional field that can show the number of participants connected to each node (as well as the number of sources)? I'm quite new to NVivo 11 and haven't used cases or case classifications before. From what I've read I think this might be how I need to do it, although I can't see a way of linking the number of cases to each node, if that's possible. The only other way I can think of doing this, would be to wait until I had all of the interviews back form one participant, and then import them all as one source to analyse. But that's not ideal as it will delay or analysis. Thanks!
  20. Hi I'd like to find out what percentage of a source has been coded. I have 5 main question nodes, and then sub theme nodes under each question. I have coded a source to sub theme nodes underneath the main question nodes, and want to know the overall percentage of the source that has been coded either across all the main questions or for to each main question. Can you help?
  21. I'm working with Nvivo 12 and the play speed control for audio transcription is not working. It is greyed out and I can't click on it. I'm working with MP3 files. How can I get the play speed control to work?
  22. Actually... perhaps I just create separate cases, even within participants, and then handle with queries. Does (any of!) this make sense? For example: (Cases\Patients\001_Baseline, 001_3month, 001_6month) etc.
  23. With three interviews for each patient and provider participant at approximately equal time intervals (baseline, 3-month & 6-month), would like to evaluate coding over time within and across patient participants and provider participants who cared for each patient participant. If not clear, this includes evaluating coding for each timepoint across participants, as well as longitudinal evaluations within participants. My instinct is to use classification sheets, but would love to see an example if possible. Unfortunately, team unwilling to reformat all interview data for autocoding purposes so will work with transcripts supplied. Thanks! Maria
  24. Sarah287

Finding patterns in my data

To Whom It May Concern, I'm trying to extract direct patterns across my data. For example I have three interviews to analyse with around 97 themes in total (some of which are double coded and overlap). I would like to see directly where these overlaps occur across nodes and the three interviews to make it easier to report my findings. How do I go about doing this please? Sarah
  25. QSRSupport

Merging projects

Hi charlotten22, One option that you can try is to: 1. Create a copy of each file. 2. In the copy of your project, delete the documents/coding from Set A leaving just Set B. 3. Merge the two projects, this will create a project that has the Set A and any additional comments from the reviewer copy and Set B, which will merge as it is still the same in both files. Hope this helps. ^NVivoSup
  26. QSRSupport

.wav files

Hello, NVivo 12 Mac supports and reads .wav files. If you are facing issues to import .wav files, please try the steps below: 1. Open your audio file in QuickTime Player. 2. Click File tab 3. Click Export > Audio Only 4. Give a name the file and save it Then try importing in NVivo. I hope this helps. Regards, Akshay
  27. I am currently sitting in front of a dataset of about 1400 tweets captures using Ncapture. I am wondering how I can uncode the data set without having to select just 100 at a time? the view only allows me to select 100 at a time which is just time consuming! on a related note, the reason i want to uncode the items in question is that they are supposed to be part of another dataset. (the data set is august 31st but the data I want to uncode is August 30th) my second question is--- can i remove the August 30th data from one dataset and put it in another? i dont want to completely lose the data if i can help it.
  1. Load more activity