Jump to content

abatty

Members
  • Content Count

    14
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About abatty

  • Rank
    Member
  1. Another suggestion for you folks. When exporting durations from audio/video coding to Excel, it just comes out as text. This means the user then gets to do battle with Excel to get it to realize that they are duration timecode. It would be great if NVivo did that already with the exports, setting the cells to the format: [h]:mm:ss.0 Dealing with durations in Excel is notoriously headache-inducing; if NVivo could take the first step during export, sales of ibuprofen would plummet.
  2. Here is how I ultimately solved this: At the outset, I was having trouble understanding the difference between classifications and nodes, so I doubled up anything I could, which ended up saving me here. I did a Matrix Query with the Participants in the rows. For the columns I did: Task Types, which were node classification attributes Node for Output (it's binary, so even though that information is in two nodes, I only need one, and I'll get a count of 1 or 0) The Behavior nodes I then set the sources only to the videos of the task in question. This was facilitated by moving them into
  3. That's a pretty neat workaround. I'll give it a shot.
  4. I'm always happy to provide more detail... about anything, really. Thanks for reading!
  5. Hello again. I am trying to get a full data table for my respondents for some of the things I've coded them on. I need more detail than I can get from the Matrix Query function (I think), and the Extract function doesn't quite seem to fit. I have my participants as nodes. Each participant did 6 tasks; these are coded as the name of the source video, an attribute on the video, and also a node coding the video (I did it all three ways because I wasn't sure which I'd need) Each task has a binary output (Yes/No); this is available as an attribute on the source, and also as a node. After th
  6. Simon: Thanks again for your super-quick response! Ahah! I read the matix query page a few times and never followed this link that explains that: http://help-nv10.qsrinternational.com/desktop/procedures/work_with_the_content_of_a_node_matrix.htm However, when I try either the row or column percentages, everything goes to 0%. I guess what I'd really like is something where I had a row and a column devoted to "other" for the times when "Happy" was not coded with any of the behaviors, and "Smiling" was not coded with any of the moods. And then I'd like marginal totals/percentages
  7. I am trying to do something that I'm sure the data is in there to do, but I'm not sure how to get NVivo to do it, or how to get the data out to run the calculations elsewhere. I have a bunch of video that is coded with overlapping codes (e.g., mood of the scene and viewer behavior). I would like to figure out the amount of overlap between viewer behaviors and the mood of the scene. I can do a matrix coding query with mood on one axis and behavior on the other, and that gives me counts, but it doesn't do percentages, which are more informative, since neither the moods nor behaviors are
  8. Alright, I sent it your way. Thanks for taking a look.
  9. Hey folks; one more issue with transcripts. I have imported my Japanese transcripts from plaintext (tab-delimited) files, and they are all in quite nicely, but the default font size seems to be 8pt, which on a high-resolution monitor is tough to read if it's Roman characters, but Japanese kanji are nigh on painful. I can turn on editing and highlight and change the size line by line, but there are hundreds of lines in 12 files. I've tried the zoom button, but that only seems to apply to the timeline. I've also searched the options hoping that one of the presets would just set all these to
  10. Simon: I'd be happy to; where can I send it? Aaron
  11. Hi folks. I'm having a lot of trouble with importing my Japanese transcripts. I'm just getting garbled text. NVivo 10 32-bit Windows NVivo UI English Project text content set to Japanese Timestamped transcript from a Japanese transcription service Tab-delimited text file encoding is UTF-8, although I've tried switching it to Shift-JIS as well Word (.docx) file doesn't come in at all; reports a parser error Manually typing Japanese into the transcript fields works fine I have some classification attributes in Japanese with no problem. I just can't get this (critical and expensive) transcripti
  12. Yeah, it's there; the UI is just really, really unintuitive.
  13. A couple other things I forgot to mention, but remembered as I sat down to do some more coding: When clicking in the timeline, the play head should jump to that location. This wouldn't work now that regions are defined by clicking/dragging in the timeline, but if that were moved to a different "stripe" above or below the waveform, then it would be no problem. Clicking and dragging to define regions should drag the playhead with it so you can see what you're getting. Big feature request: Audio should scrub when moving the playhead or selecting regions.
  14. Hey folks. I'm a new Nvivo user, but I've been around it for several years and knew what it could do before using it for my latest research project. I'll be blunt: The video coding UI is infuriating, but not just because all aspects of working with video are infuriating, and even the best UI for video is a pain, but because it could be improved in Nvivo with just some cosmetic tweaks that I doubt would even require much difficult coding on your end. First, the easy one: The video playhead/shuttle is on the same line as where one selects regions for coding. This makes it very hard t
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Privacy Policyhttps://www.qsrinternational.com/privacy-policyhis site, you agree to our Terms of Use.