Jump to content
[[Template core/global/global/lkeyWarning is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

2 Neutral

About IOFarmer

  • Rank
    Casual Member
  1. While working with a large dataset of survey comments I have been using the "Copy" and "Merge into selected Node" functions to shrink the number of nodes after auto-coding the comment data. I thought that merging in the references would bring in all unique references, but I see now that I was also duplicating references already in the node (e.g., I had a node with A, B, and C, and a node with B, C, and D. I thought after merging I would have A, B, C, and, D but I actually have A, B, B, C C, and D). Because I have thousands of comments manually uncoding is a problem. I am looking for an efficient way to remove duplicate references within each node so that I can see what my count of unique references is. Thank you for any input you have!
  2. Hmm, that is strange. I just tested with one of my data sets and found it provided the exact word match using quotation marks. Do you have the "spread to" option set to something other than "none"? I found it did not perform the way I intended when the spread was set to "broad context" for example and would offer relevant responses that had the words I was looking for but did not highlight them in the "dataset" output view (right vertical tab between reference and word tree after running your query). If changing the spread option to "none" doesn't work hopefully the QSR expert will be able to provide a better option. good luck!
  3. I think you can use quotation marks around the words to get an exact match i.e., "Johnson and Johnson" or "Smith and Wesson".
  4. IOFarmer

    View jumps around while coding transcript

    Hello, Has a fix been found for this issue? I just ran into it with text responses. When I code responses in a long list it keeps jumping back to the beginning of the list of responses, which is making the coding more time consuming and prone to missed coding. My Nvivo version is
  5. Figured out the issue was that I was altering the user.config.bak file which I learned is a backup and not the actual config that Nvivo was pulling from. I mage the changes outlined in the thread above and it worked without any issue.
  6. Please disregard my response it looks like I was saving in the .bak file which I learned from our IT guy is a backup file and is not the file that changes the configuration. It works now and my analysis went off without any issue .
  7. Thanks for the response! I used the matrix coding query for creating a simple table to classify the responses and that seems to work well. I've run into a separate issue with timeout of the queries. Some of the queries simply stop after 60 seconds before completing. I found a comment from last year but the solution does not appear to work. When I make the user.config changes indicated it seems to overwrite the edits. Comment Thread: http://forums.qsrinternational.com/index.php?showtopic=6046
  8. Thanks for posting this! I ran into the same issue. I am finding that the config file seems to override the edits you indicated above and resets back to 60 seconds when I restart the program. I'm on a military network and am wondering if its because I am attempting to make changes as an non-admin user, or if its for another reason. I'm surprised there is now way to change the command timeout in the GUI.
  9. Hello everyone! My organization recently purchased Nvivo 11 for qualitatively analyzing our open ended survey responses. I am using the text search query function to create nodes based on pre-established themes for our data. I input the data from an excel spreadsheet that has the following items: respondent id, gender, class year, open ended comment. I have been able to create the nodes based on our themes and export the findings in excel as: id, comment. What I would like to do is export the node with the case classifications as well, similar to how it was imported. My goal is to have a spreadsheet with: id, gender, class year, comment. I'm trying to get this for each node created so that essentially I've whittled down the large number of comments to only those fitting in with the themes we have identified which I will then separate by the other factors (gender and class year). I've used the export function in the data tab, but didn't find it provided anything useful regarding what I'm looking for. What I found more useful was right clicking on the node and using the "export node" option, but as I mentioned it does not indicate the case classifications in the output. If anyone could either provide directions on how to export with both the node comments and the classifications or indicate where to find that information it would be very helpful! Thanks!