I have given NVivo full disk access but it still will not open

Go to solution Solved by Ikechukwu Nwanze,

I have given NVivo full disk access but when I try to open the app it keeps saying “NVivo needs permission to access data on your computer before it can run” 

I am running it on a macbook air 12.3. I have tried the newest NVivo and NVivo 12. I have already restarted the app and restarted my computer. https://imgur.com/a/lMZiItv

Hi, can you please try the steps below to troubleshoot this issue?

1. Download the attached file (CloudTabs.db) to your Desktop.

2. Close NVivo 12 and remove Full Disk Access permissions in System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy tab

3. Restart the computer and then add Full Disk Access permissions again for NVivo 12. Do not launch NVivo 12.

4. Open Finder.

5. Go to the Desktop and copy CloudTabs.db.

6. Open another Finder window and click on Go from the Finder menu option.

7. Press the Option key on the keyboard. The Library option should now show under the Go menu.

8. Click on Library.

9. Navigate to the Safari folder then paste CloudTabs.db in the Safari folder.

10. Close Finder and launch NVivo 12.

Kind Regards,

Bhupesh

CloudTabs.db

• Like 3

We have the same issue and copying the file to the users Safari folder worked but is there an enterprise solution for this issue? We have NVivo 12 installed on quite a few lab computers, used by multiple people, and as the Safari folder is protected, we cannot install this file via our MDM. We have students who use these lab Macs and they log in with their individual accounts.

• Like 1

@QSRSupport When will a more permanent fix be implemented in the .app itself? We have the same issue as Jerry - we deploy the app administratively through our MDM to our users and can't install this file to each user folder dynamically.

On 4/1/2022 at 11:11 AM, Jerry said:

We have the same issue and copying the file to the users Safari folder worked but is there an enterprise solution for this issue? We have NVivo 12 installed on quite a few lab computers, used by multiple people, and as the Safari folder is protected, we cannot install this file via our MDM. We have students who use these lab Macs and they log in with their individual accounts.

• 2 weeks later...

I did those steps with NVivo 2020 and it did not work.

NVivo is repopulated in preferences as having full acccess, but I still get the prompt.

So what is the solution?

thanks

carol

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

Greetings, 

I got feedback from NVIVO team and their solution which worked for me. Here are the steps below and hopefully it will work for you too if you have not gotten a response from their team: 

1. Download the attached file (CloudTabs.db) to your Desktop. (This file was sent to me via email by the NVIVO Team. I reached them via their Facebook page and they then sent me an email. I have come to find that they are very responsive on their Facebook)

2. Close NVivo and remove Full Disk Access permissions in System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy tab

3. Restart the computer and then add Full Disk Access permissions again for NVivo. Do not launch NVivo.

4. Open Finder.

7. Press the Option key on the keyboard. The Library option should now show under the Go menu.

8. Click on Library.

10. Close Finder and launch NVivo.

11. After this, NVIVO asked for full disc access again and after granting it, it worked. (Included this as it was not part of the steps I was sent but after granting access one more time, it worked). 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello @TAW,

It is attached in the second entry in this post.

Kind regards,

Just want to follow up to add that we have to deploy NVivo to thousands of lab computers in a university setting. Others may be in a similar position, as NVivo is great for research. What is the timeline to integrate this file into the installer directly?

Is there a way I can note this as high priority? This is impeding our software roll out. We cannot deploy this file to every machine without significant changes to our process.

Thanks very much.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2022 at 7:12 AM, Ikechukwu Nwanze said:

Greetings, 

I got feedback from NVIVO team and their solution which worked for me. Here are the steps below and hopefully it will work for you too if you have not gotten a response from their team: 

1. Download the attached file (CloudTabs.db) to your Desktop. (This file was sent to me via email by the NVIVO Team. I reached them via their Facebook page and they then sent me an email. I have come to find that they are very responsive on their Facebook)

2. Close NVivo and remove Full Disk Access permissions in System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy tab

3. Restart the computer and then add Full Disk Access permissions again for NVivo. Do not launch NVivo.

4. Open Finder.

8. Click on Library.

10. Close Finder and launch NVivo.

11. After this, NVIVO asked for full disc access again and after granting it, it worked. (Included this as it was not part of the steps I was sent but after granting access one more time, it worked). 

PLEASE AN I GET THE CloudTabs.db?

On 3/30/2022 at 3:51 PM, QSRSupport said:

2. Close NVivo 12 and remove Full Disk Access permissions in System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy tab

3. Restart the computer and then add Full Disk Access permissions again for NVivo 12. Do not launch NVivo 12.

4. Open Finder.

8. Click on Library.

Kind Regards,

Bhupesh

CloudTabs.db 202 B · 92 downloads

IT WORKED!!! GUYS FOLLOW PRECISELY THESE STEPS IN THE VERY SAME ORDER AND IT WILL WORK. DO EXACTLY WHAT IS STATED HERE IN THIS ORDER. IT WORKED!! THANK YOU GUYS

For anyone else encountering this, note that you don't need to use the specific version of the file that had been posted. An empty file with this name will work just as well in my testing. CloudTabs.db is the file that Safari uses to sync Safari tabs to iCloud and not everyone will have this, so I'm not sure why they chose this file to test full disk access with. It also doesn't seem to need to be on Desktop at all. Just having an empty file with this name in ~/Library/Safari will work.

I hope your devs understand that this file doesn't exist by default on all deployed Macs.

You are relying on a file that is leveraged by a different piece of software, that doesn't always exist, in order to perform fitness checks on your software.

You're making a mess of work for IT Staff at your client organizations. Not cool.

I'm not sure that's a wise move.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello @canarik and all,

I used the link provided Tuesday, July 12 and found the clouds db file will not open in my area in Canada. Is there a different link? I have also sent a request to customer service at NVivo and hope they will respond.

Best regards,

Hello @deegee,

Please try to download from the attached zip file.

Regards,

@deegeeFrom what I've read elsewhere, you can create a blank file with the name CloudTabs.db in the noted Safari folder, and NVivo will then be happy. NVivo isn't actually using anything IN that file, it just needs to SEE and ACCESS that file in that location. If that doesn't work, and you want to try a copy of the file @canarikposted, email me at ppival (at) ucalgary.ca and I'll get you that copy.

Thanks to ppival i was able to open Nvivo for mac version 20.6.2 without getting prompted to give Nvivo Full access. I did follow steps above from support but they mention a creating a blank file called CloudTabs.db using textedit, however that didnt work for me. What worked for me was using file provided by ppival that had the below content in the file called CloudTabs.db.

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\cocoartf1671\cocoasubrtf600
{\fonttbl}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;}
{\*\expandedcolortbl;;}
\paperw11900\paperh16840\margl1440\margr1440\vieww10800\viewh8400\viewkind0
}

• Like 1

I tried doing what @Jonp did but that didn't work. I created a textedit file and named it and added the content. Maybe I'm not saving it in the correct safari folder? I'm stumped. Not sure how to proceed with research analysis. It would be nice if NVivo just fixed this bug. 

Edited by EUlwelli
I was able to download the file but it still didn't work

I also have this issue and have tried the suggestion above (with a blank file created by me) numerous times without success. Has anyone found a different solution? This is incredibly frustrating as I really need to get started with data analysis.

To anyone that cannot get this to work via creating their own CloudTabs.db file, if you are using TextEdit it will automatically add the .txt extension (which can be hidden). Go to your CloudTabs file, hit Get Info, and during my initial attempt I got CloudTabs.db.txt but by removing the txt extension and name it as CloudTabs.db, everything previously described works fine.

Hello @MKH,

You can download the file from my post here.

Regards,

On 3/30/2022 at 5:51 AM, QSRSupport said:

4. Open Finder.

8. Click on Library.

Kind Regards,

Bhupesh

CloudTabs.db 202 B · 279 downloads

Thank you Bhupesh. The solution worked for me like a dream!

On 3/30/2022 at 5:51 AM, QSRSupport said:

4. Open Finder.

8. Click on Library.

Kind Regards,

Bhupesh

CloudTabs.db 202 B · 279 downloads

Hello @Mike Parnwell,

Cloudtabs.db should not cause such an issue.

Please submit a support request form following: https://support.qsrinternational.com/nvivo/s/contactsupport/contact-support-form

Regards, 

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to say a big thank you to @Derrick Lee for providing the single most practically helpful step in this big pile of mess created by nVivo!!!

It is seriously APPALLING that the nVivo team would not be aware to provide this piece of critical information that is the key to solving the problem.

Like so many others in the chat I could not get the textedit file to work, but of course, it's because the .rtf extension was still at the end. I don't know if this is intuitive to many others but for sure I didn't even think of it as nVivo simply said "create a textedit file". WELL DONE nVivo.

Once removed like Derrick pointed out, it worked beautifully.

For others in the chat who are wondering why nVivo's solution does not appear to work, it's because they have not bothered to think about the user's angle and provide the most essential step to getting it to work. Please follow the complete steps below:

1. Open TextEdit, create a new blank text file and save it as CloudTabs.db (db is not the extension, so type it in full as the file name)

*** Important note as pointed out by user Derrick Lee -- To anyone that cannot get this to work via creating their own CloudTabs.db file, if you are using TextEdit it will automatically add the .txt extension (which can be hidden). Go to your CloudTabs file, hit Get Info, and during my initial attempt I got CloudTabs.db.txt but by removing the txt extension and name it as CloudTabs.db, everything previously described works fine.

4. Open Finder.

8. Click on Library.

10. Close Finder and launch NVivo - grant full user access now and it should work

On 3/30/2022 at 3:51 PM, QSRSupport said:

4. Open Finder.

8. Click on Library.

Kind Regards,

Bhupesh

CloudTabs.db 202 B · 386 downloads

This worked! Thank you so much :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2022 at 2:11 PM, Yueling said:

I just want to say a big thank you to @Derrick Lee for providing the single most practically helpful step in this big pile of mess created by nVivo!!!

It is seriously APPALLING that the nVivo team would not be aware to provide this piece of critical information that is the key to solving the problem.

Like so many others in the chat I could not get the textedit file to work, but of course, it's because the .rtf extension was still at the end. I don't know if this is intuitive to many others but for sure I didn't even think of it as nVivo simply said "create a textedit file". WELL DONE nVivo.

Once removed like Derrick pointed out, it worked beautifully.

For others in the chat who are wondering why nVivo's solution does not appear to work, it's because they have not bothered to think about the user's angle and provide the most essential step to getting it to work. Please follow the complete steps below:

1. Open TextEdit, create a new blank text file and save it as CloudTabs.db (db is not the extension, so type it in full as the file name)

*** Important note as pointed out by user Derrick Lee -- To anyone that cannot get this to work via creating their own CloudTabs.db file, if you are using TextEdit it will automatically add the .txt extension (which can be hidden). Go to your CloudTabs file, hit Get Info, and during my initial attempt I got CloudTabs.db.txt but by removing the txt extension and name it as CloudTabs.db, everything previously described works fine.

4. Open Finder.

8. Click on Library.

10. Close Finder and launch NVivo - grant full user access now and it should work

The solution explained above by @Yueling worked for me. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 12:51 AM, QSRSupport said:

4. Open Finder.

8. Click on Library.

Kind Regards,

Bhupesh

CloudTabs.db 202 B · 585 downloads

This process worked a treat. Thanks so much!