classifying part of the text in a case

Go to solution Solved by canarik,

Hello, I'm in need of help and advice

In my study I am looking to understand the difference and similarities of experiences of the pandemic across 4 different areas. Comments made by disabled and chronically ill people and non-disabled people and comments made in lockdown and comments made post lockdown. 

I have managed the health status category (either disabled/ chronically ill or non-disabled) but can't seem to understand how I might classify part of a transcript with "comments made in lockdown" and the other part, "comments made post lockdown" I need to make a table of a chart that shows how the themes and codes appear across all categories. for example how many people mentioned virtual connections, was it more present when talking about lockdown rather than post lockdown and were disabled people more likely to talk about virtual connections.

is it possible to select only some text from a case (case is all text from one interview) to classify and attribute? If not what would you suggest is a good way of classifying data into one attribute from one half of a transcript and then again with the other half interview into a different attribute?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi, If you have cases with attributes and the data is in the case, whatever you code will also have this information. To see separate text by code and attribute you will want to run a matrix coding query or cross tab query. 

Hope this helps

Hello @Phoebe,

In addition to @Stacy Penna's suggestion, please note that "attributes" are bound to your cases.

So let's say your first participant "Participant 01" is a "chronically ill" person. First, you would need to complete and transcribe your interview then import into Nvivo. Obviously, you would do the same for all interviews. Next, you will create cases for each interview so that you will be able to create and assign classifications/attributes to those cases.

Once you finished your thematic coding, you can create a matrix table with your cases and codes. 

Please also note that each case can only be assigned to a single value of an attribute. Thus, if each case has comments from both pre and post lockdown, I would suggest creating codes instead of attribute to identify pre&port comments and run separate queries for each term.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

1 hour ago, canarik said:

Hello @Phoebe,

In addition to @Stacy Penna's suggestion, please note that "attributes" are bound to your cases.

So let's say your first participant "Participant 01" is a "chronically ill" person. First, you would need to complete and transcribe your interview then import into Nvivo. Obviously, you would do the same for all interviews. Next, you will create cases for each interview so that you will be able to create and assign classifications/attributes to those cases.

Once you finished your thematic coding, you can create a matrix table with your cases and codes. 

Please also note that each case can only be assigned to a single value of an attribute. Thus, if each case has comments from both pre and post lockdown, I would suggest creating codes instead of attribute to identify pre&port comments and run separate queries for each term.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Hi Thank you so much for your response its of great help.

do you think you could walk me through where I plug each category into when doing a matrix table?

say I have 4 main themes and I want to see across those themes how many times disabled people mentioned them and how many times non- disabled people mentioned them. And at the same time see when the disabled people mentioned the themes (pre or post lockdown) and when the non-disabled people mentioned the themes (pre or post lockdown).

in what boxes do I put each category to be able to run a matrix query? 

I have all my themes coded and I have added two codes one for pre lockdown and one for post. in which data mentioned pre lockdown and separately post lockdown data across all transcripts have been coded.

• Solution

Hello again @Phoebe,

I created a sample project file with has similar code structure with your project. You can have a look how I structured codes for your themes, comment timeline and classification for health status. I saved both query criteria and results of matrix coding queries that represents what you would like to have.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Phoebe_sample.nvp

• Like 1

Hi Canarik. That is so kind of you, thank you.

Unfortunately I can't open it

My university seems to have an earlier version of Nvivo 12 and it won't open it. I am also using the Mac version on my home laptop and I can't seem to convert it.

Thank you for the gesture though.

On 4/6/2022 at 9:45 PM, canarik said:

Hello again @Phoebe,

I created a sample project file with has similar code structure with your project. You can have a look how I structured codes for your themes, comment timeline and classification for health status. I saved both query criteria and results of matrix coding queries that represents what you would like to have.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Phoebe_sample.nvp 10.63 MB · 1 download

Hi Canarik. That is so kind of you, thank you.

Unfortunately I can't open it

My university seems to have an earlier version of Nvivo 12 and it won't open it. I am also using the Mac version on my home laptop and I can't seem to convert it.

Thank you for the gesture though. If its not too much bother could you send me a screen shot of the query criteria? or the matrix coding queries?

Hello again @Phoebe,

Please note that Nvivo projects are not backwards compatible. Since I created this project in Nvivo R1 it is expected behavior.

Below you can see how I set the coding structure:

1779997488_ScreenShot2022-04-09at13_22_45.png.23901974cd4733879c71c12018370235.png

Below how I set scope items while searching for post-lockdown :

17709784_ScreenShot2022-04-09at13_23_57.thumb.png.ef05681d2e188588981bff4dd7743d70.png

Below how I set matrix coding query criteria:

1047911453_ScreenShot2022-04-09at13_23_45.thumb.png.2ae76e38d55e979963ab3272ce16aa5b.png

Regards,

• Like 1