gkrueger

Resource requirements for NVivo7

Hi everyone,

I downloaded and began using NVivo7 (I have also purchased it) and was very impressed with the interface and the obvious enhancements. Very nice upgrade.

However, I think there are resource issues and I'd like to hear what others think. I have a 2 Gig processor and 512 k of memory and am running Windows XP Pro but I still encounter resource issues. My initial impression is that the program is massive, it seemed to take forever to download even on broadband, it changed quite a few things within my computer, and then it promptly crashed over and over.

I have come to the conclusion that the program doesn't work well with other heavy-use applications running simultaneously, such as Office 2003. I like to do some of my work in Word because of the spell checker and then paste it into NVivo afterwards but this slows things down.

So my suggestion is to make sure you are properly powered in terms of your hardware and shut down other programs while working. I did get one odd error message where the program told me to retry after 5 minutes, not sure what that was all about.

So I'm still impressed, but would appreciate some discussion on any problems people have encountered with this new software.

Hi everyone,

I downloaded and began using NVivo7 (I have also purchased it) and was very impressed with the interface and the obvious enhancements. Very nice upgrade.

However, I think there are resource issues and I'd like to hear what others think. I have a 2 Gig processor and 512 k of memory and am running Windows XP Pro but I still encounter resource issues. My initial impression is that the program is massive, it seemed to take forever to download even on broadband, it changed quite a few things within my computer, and then it promptly crashed over and over.

I have come to the conclusion that the program doesn't work well with other heavy-use applications running simultaneously, such as Office 2003. I like to do some of my work in Word because of the spell checker and then paste it into NVivo afterwards but this slows things down.

So my suggestion is to make sure you are properly powered in terms of your hardware and shut down other programs while working. I did get one odd error message where the program told me to retry after 5 minutes, not sure what that was all about.

So I'm still impressed, but would appreciate some discussion on any problems people have encountered with this new software.

Hi,

I have a similar problem with the trial version of NVivo7. I wish they could provide a lighter version of the software (NVivo Lite?).

I also encountered the same "retry after 5 minutes."

Ikuya Sato

Graduate School of Commerce and Management

Hitotsubashi University

Tokyo, Japan

P.S.

Sorry for any inconvenience you might have had with my previous mail.

I failed to add the above message to the quote.

Anybody has problem about importing text file to NVivo 7?

I tried to import a text file to casebook that I have used for NVivo 1.3.

But NVivo 7 did not accept that file.

Any idea?

Hello Chienni,

If you are using the same file as you used for NVivo 1.3, it could be that you have the word 'node' or 'document' in the first cell because you needed to tell NVivo 1.3 what sort of attributes you were importing.

No need in NVivo 7 so remove any text in this cell and the casebook should import fine.

Hope that helps

Sue

Chienni,

The other problem you could be having with importing the casebook is that you are choosing the wrong format. If your file was formatted for NV1 or 2, it would have been saved in tab separated format, and the default for NV7 is unicode, so when you import the tab separated file, you will need to choose US ASCII as the format.

Pat

Hi again Chienni,

Pat's response is probably the one that is stopping your file from importing. It seems that NVivo 7 doesn't care if you have some text in the first cell (unlike NVivo 2 which needs this to know what sort of an attribute table you are importing).

As Pat suggests, try changing the import format from the default Unicode to ASCII and if the problem persists, you are probably best to send a request for service to the helpdesk.

Sue

Thank you Sue and Pat,

I used Unicode to save and import, then things went all rigth so far.

Thank you for your valuable suggestions!

Sincerely,

Chien-Ni

Hi again Chienni,

Pat's response is probably the one that is stopping your file from importing. It seems that NVivo 7 doesn't care if you have some text in the first cell (unlike NVivo 2 which needs this to know what sort of an attribute table you are importing).

As Pat suggests, try changing the import format from the default Unicode to ASCII and if the problem persists, you are probably best to send a request for service to the helpdesk.

Sue

I haven't been able to get NVivo 7 to work at all. Before I installed the Service Pack, it was immensely sluggish and didn't seem to behave (in coding, for example, when I selected text, it would arbitrarily select additional text). It responded very slowly to coding.

After installing the Service Pack, I haven't been able to get it to run at all. It crashes. The first time, it saved a message for the QSR techies, but they haven't responded to my request for help. The next time, it sent a message to Microsoft.

Because I can't put my PhD on hold while I wait for some help, I've reverted to NVivo 1.2, but now I'm worried about conflicts between the two files for my project.

I'm using a bog-standard Dell desktop with a 2.2 processor, 512 memory & more than 40 gig of hard drive, well over the recommended system, but not a super gamer's computer.

Right now I'm really dismayed; for me, it simply doesn't run at all.

erik

Hi Eric

Can I suggest you run your computers various optimisation utilities, especially the disk defragmentation utility, and see if this makes a difference.

It also very much depends on what other software is running at the same time. Even if you don't have other packages open, there may be services running that are using memory and that are not really required.

If you would like to log a Request for Service and send us the error logs, this will help us to diagnose your particular problem.

Regards

Daniel Buffett

QSR International

I run disk defrag every week. I'll try running it with all packages off. I think QSR should be more explicit about this when describing the resource requirements.

I sent in a request for service on 9 June 06, including the error log when, after installing the Service Pack, the programme crashed. I have yet to get a response.

Erik

Hi Erik

We responded to you on 12/6. I hope you received the email, which said partly as follows:

"In the interim to get around the error you have been presented with if coding when the error occurred, we recommend that you check your Application Options and change a particular setting with the following steps:

1. Launch NVivo

2. Go to the Tools menu

3. Select Options

4. Tick the option for 'Enable plain text'

5. Click Apply

6. Click OK

If problems still persist, once you have checked the 'Enabled plain text' option, the 'Size of node' slider becomes activated. Set the slider to specify the relative size of nodes that should be displayed as plain text.

Please let me know if you are still experiencing errors when coding or trying any of the other functionality within the software so we can investigate this further for you."

If you could confirm whether our recommendation has worked, that will help us progress your issue.

Kind regards

Daniel Buffett

QSR International