Daniel Buffett

Problems installing Microsoft SQL Server

One of the reasons NVivo 7 is such a powerful program is its use of the database component Microsoft SQL Server, which is installed as part of the NVivo 7 installation process.

We have received feedback from a few users that they are experiencing a variety of issues when installing NVivo 7. All of these issues seem to relate to problems with installing the Microsoft SQL Server component.

We are currently investigating these issues and will update this forum progressively with helpful tips to ensure your Microsoft SQL Server installation runs smoothly. Like any software, Microsoft SQL Server has its own required hardware and software platform configurations.

So far, we can communicate that the following may prevent the successful installation of Microsoft SQL Server:

1. You must have full Administrator privileges for the machine on which you are trying to install NVivo 7;

2. Microsoft SQL Server cannot be installed on compressed or virtual drives, so if you have set up your computer in this manner to conserve disk space, you need to install NVivo 7 on an uncompressed drive.

3. If there is an existing installation of Microsoft SQL Server Native Client on your machine then this must be uninstalled before trying to install NVivo 7. It will be replaced during the installation process. You can uninstall this very simply via Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs

4. If the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server directory or any of its subdirectories have the 'Compress' or 'Encrypt' options enabled then SQL Server may not install or run correctly. You can check this by opening Windows Explorer and navigating to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server. Right click on this folder and select Properties from the context menu. In the General tab, click on the Advanced button and ensure both the 'Compress...' and 'Encrypt...' checkboxes are unchecked. Then reinstall NVivo 7 (you may need to uninstall first depending on when your error occured).

5. If you have a Beta Version of the Microsoft .NET 2.0 Framework, or .NET Framework 1.2, installed on your computer, this needs to be uninstalled (again, you can easily check this via the Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs function). Please note that Microsoft .Net Frameworks 1.0 and 1.1 should NOT be uninstalled.

6. In some cases, simply reinstalling NVivo 7 resolves any problems.

7. You should disable Norton Internet Security (Antivirus and Firewall) before installing NVivo 7, as this can impact the successful installation of the SQL component. Obviously switch these back on after you have installed.

We will provide further information as our investigations continue. The majority of users are unaffected by this issue and have successfully installed and operated NVivo 7.

Kind regards

Daniel Buffett

Test Manager

QSR International

1. You must have full Administrator privileges for the machine on which you are trying to install NVivo 7;

4. If the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server directory or any of its subdirectories have the 'Compress' or 'Encrypt' options enabled then SQL Server may not install or run correctly. You can check this by opening Windows Explorer and navigating to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server. Right click on this folder and select Properties from the context menu. In the General tab, click on the Advanced button and ensure both the 'Compress...' and 'Encrypt...' checkboxes are unchecked. Then reinstall NVivo 7 (you may need to uninstall first depending on when your error occured).

Kind regards

Daniel Buffett

Test Manager

QSR International

Daniel,

Thanks very much for this posting. That helps a great deal.

Questions about 1 and 4 as follows:

1 - Can the software be run without administrator rights after it has been installed using admin rights?

4 - We are required to use encrypted file systems for some research projects in health, mental health, research on school children, etc. Does that mean that I can have to install the application in an unencrypted location, but can put the data in an encrypted file space? Or are encrypted filesystems not supported at all?

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris

1. Yes, admin rights are only required to install the software.

2. Encryption isn't the main problem, compression is. I think encryption will not adversely affect SQL Server, but if you find differently let me know. I was just being extra cautious in my instructions.

Cheers

Daniel

Does the virtual drive limitation apply to installations of NV7 on Virtual PC running on a Mac? I am currently trying to install the demo on Win 2000 SP4 running under Virtual PC 7 on Mac OS X 10.4, and cannot get past the SQL Server installation error.

Since there is a whole class of us Mac users out there who want to use your product, but have no good alternative to running it under Virtual PC, I am hoping that there's a workaround here!

Zach First

Does the virtual drive limitation apply to installations of NV7 on Virtual PC running on a Mac? I am currently trying to install the demo on Win 2000 SP4 running under Virtual PC 7 on Mac OS X 10.4, and cannot get past the SQL Server installation error.

Since there is a whole class of us Mac users out there who want to use your product, but have no good alternative to running it under Virtual PC, I am hoping that there's a workaround here!

Zach First

My experience: I tried doing Xpro SP2 bunch of times on a G4 mac: under virtual pc, and under Q, but got nowhere--never beyond SQL server installation. Virtual pc creates a virtual drive, thus apparently SQL is not going to happen there, as per the preceding message. But even if you did manage to get it installed, performance would likely be frustratingly slow. Unfortunately for G4 & G5 users, this problem now seems even less likely to be resolved now that the new macs do Windows.

Well, this is curious... I am running Windows 2000 SP4 under Parallels Workstation 2.1 b2 on my MacBook Pro (OS X 10.4.6). Unlike VirtualPC on the Mac, which fools Windows into thinking that it is working with a Pentium II CPU (incompatible with SQL Express), Parallels Workstation is a virtualization application that allows Windows to "see" the Mac's Intel Core Duo CPU (compatible with SQL Express).

I am able to successfully install SQL Express 2005 under this configuration if I download the installer straight from Microsoft's web site. But when I run the NVivo 7 installer, it insists on first installing SQL Express 2005, even though it is already installed. Installation then fails as per usual under the NVivo installer, and I am nowhere. Since I can get SQL Express installed, is there a way I can skip straight to the NVivo 7 installer?

The problem you are experiencing is because just installing SQL Server Express does not configure the installation for NVivo 7...and then when you try to install NVivo 7, it can't install the SQL Server 2005 component and so the installation fails. If you are going to install the SQL Server comoponent natively, you need to follow the steps below:

1. Run the SQL Server Express Installer.

2. When The installer gets to the “Registration Information” screen, ensure that the “Hide advanced configuration options check box” is de-selected.

3. When the installer asks for the Instance Name, instead of SQLExpress, replace it with QSRNVIVO.

4. When the installer asks for a service account, specify Local System from the drop down.

5. Install with the rest of the defaults.

Of course, you will need to uninstall SQL Server 2005 and reinstall to be able to complete the above steps. I hope this helps.

Daniel Buffett

QSR International

Hi

We done some work on creating an unattended installation routine for Deploying NVivo 7.0.7 and all its dependencies using SMS Server. While doing this, we came across this issue of the SQL Service failing to start.

We have found that if the command line issued in the PRQ file for SQL Express 2005 dependency were to be changed from:

SQLEXPR.EXE /qb ADDLOCAL=ALL SQLAUTOSTART=1 INSTANCENAME="QSRNVivo" SQLCOLLATION="Latin1_General_BIN" requiresmsiengine="1"

to

SQLEXPR.EXE /qb- ADDLOCAL=ALL SQLAUTOSTART=1 INSTANCENAME="QSRNVivo" SQLACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" SQLPASSWORD= SQLBROWSERACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" SQLBROWSERPASSWORD= AGTACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" AGTPASSWORD= SQLCOLLATION="Latin1_General_BIN" requiresmsiengine="1"

the installation would succeed. This is because in the second situation, the SQL Express 2005 services would be forced to run under the context of LocalSystem and not NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService

In order for SMS Sever to deploy this application we have broken the installation down into each individual application component and issued the unattended commands this way.

Hope this helps anyone having similar issues with failing service.

problem: SQL express install failed! The system reponded with an error message that "sqlncli.msi" is missing, or something like that.

Solution:

1. Turned Norton AV real time protect off. (dont know if that helps or not, its part of the instructions).

2. Before trying a re-install, make sure you uninstall the SQL components installed using the add/remove programs. Apparently, even if the previous installation failed it still created entries in the add/remove program. Remove all entries with the word "sql" in it.

3. Run the installer file again.

java script:emoticon(':D')

smilie

Success!

Hello,

I am still having problems installing Nvivo 7 because of the Microsoft express server. My problem is that when installing Nvivo 7 the installation of the server fails because:

"SQL server setup failed to execute a command for server configuration. The error way [microsoft]

cannot alter the login 'sa', because it does not exist or you do not have permission. Refer to the server error logs and setup logs for detailed error information."

The computer help desk at work has not been able to sort this out. They have set up user accounts for a user with the 'sa' but this has not helped. Initially they thought it might have something to do with the network, but this happens on unnetworked laptops as well. If we ignore this dialogue box and continue the installation Nvivo 7 does not work.

I have (like others in the forum) tried to download the server from Microsoft, but this has given the same error message.

Any suggestions to sort this problem out?

Carla

"Installatin of MS SQL Server seems to have failed" continues to deny my usage of NVivo 7 on my Dell laptop. And no suggestions for why it fails are offered.

I have NEVER had this much difficulty installing a program!!!

1. I have full Administrator privileges.

2. I disabled McAfee Virus Scan.

3. I do not use compressed or virtual drives.

4. I have uninstalled MS SQL Server Native Client and its support file.

5. No "Compress" or "Encrypt" options are enabled in the SQL Server directory.

6. I do not have a Beta version of MS .NET 2.0 Framework.

I have uninstalled NVivo 7 as well and tried to reinstall it again.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Murray

In addition to Posting #13 above, InstallShield MSIdelete10 would not close (was not responding and had to be ended by me) when I shutdown my computer.

I dont' know if that helps in diagnosing this problem.

Murray

Re-install?

I bought one N7 license (CD-ROM) and installed it at home & work.

Now, I have a new computer at home and unable to install N7 (CD-ROM locked).

NVivo answer: Buy a new license...

Pierre :(

You said:

7. You should disable Norton Internet Security (Antivirus and Firewall) before installing NVivo 7, as this can impact the successful installation of the SQL component. Obviously switch these back on after you have installed.

We will provide further information as our investigations continue. The majority of users are unaffected by this issue and have successfully installed and operated NVivo 7.

Kind regards

Daniel Buffett

Test Manager

QSR International

Dear Pierre

If your new computer is a replacement computer, you do not need to buy another license of NVivo 7. Simply do a manual activation and contact us explaining why you need to exceed your allowed number of activations and we will gladly assist you.

A single license of NVivo 7 allows you to have the software installed on one desktop and one portable device.

Kind regards

Daniel Buffett

QSR International

In addition to Posting #13 above, InstallShield MSIdelete10 would not close (was not responding and had to be ended by me) when I shutdown my computer.

I dont' know if that helps in diagnosing this problem.

Murray

Dear Murray

Try deleting the following folder and reinstalling:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield

If your problems persist, please log a Request for Service with our help desk.

Kind regards

Daniel Buffett

QSR International

Is there a way to access the administrative account of the SQL database backend directly?

I have just went through the installation issue with SQL server. I tried everything listed in this thread. It wasn't until I involved my tech person that we figured out why we cannot install the SQL...it was because my computer was named with a name that included lower case letters. Go figure!

BTW, for the record, I am running Vista on my Toshiba Portege M400. Vista has it's challenges.

I can't install NVivo 7 on my laptop (Sony Vaio VGN-S5HP, Vista, Office Ultimate including Business Contact Manager, which seems to use MS SQL Server as well). I get the following error message:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Setup

------------------------------

SQL Server Setup failed to execute a command for server configuration. The error was [Microsoft]

[sql Server]Windows NT user or group 'INES-LAPTOP\SQLServer2005MSSQLUser$INES-LAPTOP$QSRNVIVO' not found. Check the name again.. Refer to the server error logs and Setup logs for detailed error information.

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=2047...QL%4080%40x3c29

BUTTONS:

&Retry

Cancel

I have tried the CD and the downloaded version including SP4. And before that - as recommended - I shut down my firewall and antivirus program (not Norton but I thought it can't hurt), de-installed MS SQL Server native client and I have full admin rights, my computer name is in capital letters, no encryption or compression and no Microsoft NET. What else could be the problem?

Hello,

I have installed N-Vivo 8 previously on my laptop and it operated quite well with windows Vista. Nevertheless, for other reasons I had to re-install windows Vista and N-Vivo 8 too.

Unfortunately, this time I am having a problem while installing Microsoft SQL 2005. It always stops the install process and reports this:

"SQL Server Setup failed to execute a command for server configuration. The error was [Microsoft]

[sql Server]Windows NT user or group 'OLHARAPO-PC\SQLServer2005MSSQLUser$OLHARAPO-PC$QSRNVIVO8' not found. Check the name again.. Refer to the server error logs and Setup logs for detailed error information. 

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=2047...0%40x3c29"

Could anybody help me to sort this out.

Regards

I had the WMI configuration error with SQL, and used the following fix which resolved the installation error:

Receiving WMI configuration error

Copy this into notepad as save as fixwmi.cmd and then from a command line run c:\fixwmi.cmd.

It takes several minutes to complete and at points it appears that it is not running but it is. After it is complete, you see the :END statement start the SQL server installation again and you should be fixed.

FIXWMI.CMD

------------------------

@echo on

cd /d c:\temp

if not exist %windir%\system32\wbem goto TryInstall

cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem

net stop winmgmt

winmgmt /kill

if exist Rep_bak rd Rep_bak /s /q

rename Repository Rep_bak

for %%i in (*.dll) do RegSvr32 -s %%i

for %%i in (*.exe) do call :FixSrv %%i

for %%i in (*.mof,*.mfl) do Mofcomp %%i

net start winmgmt

goto End

:FixSrv

if /I (%1) == (wbemcntl.exe) goto SkipSrv

if /I (%1) == (wbemtest.exe) goto SkipSrv

if /I (%1) == (mofcomp.exe) goto SkipSrv

%1 /RegServer

:SkipSrv

goto End

:TryInstall

if not exist wmicore.exe goto End

wmicore /s

net start winmgmt

:End

I have major problems getting past installation of SQL. I am running XP Tablet PC edition 2005 Version 2002 SP2. The first time I tried to install I got a BSOD which quickly rebooted and went into a crash reboot cycle - couldn't read the error due to the rapidity of it's disappearance. I booted in safe mode and did a restore to prior to NVivo installation. I then cam on here and tried the advice listed and watched the installation carefully.

It failed when it came to "SQL Database Services". First I got a message that files in MSSQL.1/...../Data had to be moved - I did this and things proceeded. Then I got the BSOD just as the program was trying to "start VSS Writer". BSOD read "fatal error C000021a". After another system restore here I am.

What am I supposed to do now?

John

One of the reasons NVivo 7 is such a powerful program is its use of the database component Microsoft SQL Server, which is installed as part of the NVivo 7 installation process.

We have received feedback from a few users that they are experiencing a variety of issues when installing NVivo 7. All of these issues seem to relate to problems with installing the Microsoft SQL Server component.

We are currently investigating these issues and will update this forum progressively with helpful tips to ensure your Microsoft SQL Server installation runs smoothly. Like any software, Microsoft SQL Server has its own required hardware and software platform configurations.

So far, we can communicate that the following may prevent the successful installation of Microsoft SQL Server:

2. Microsoft SQL Server cannot be installed on compressed or virtual drives, so if you have set up your computer in this manner to conserve disk space, you need to install NVivo 7 on an uncompressed drive.

3. If there is an existing installation of Microsoft SQL Server Native Client on your machine then this must be uninstalled before trying to install NVivo 7. It will be replaced during the installation process. You can uninstall this very simply via Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs

5. If you have a Beta Version of the Microsoft .NET 2.0 Framework, or .NET Framework 1.2, installed on your computer, this needs to be uninstalled (again, you can easily check this via the Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs function). Please note that Microsoft .Net Frameworks 1.0 and 1.1 should NOT be uninstalled.

Kind regards

Daniel Buffett

Test Manager

QSR International