Exploring codes

Effe
Go to solution Solved by canarik,

Is there another way of exploring codes than coding stripes? When doing, for example, open coding where there are initially many codes the stripes just do not work.

Hello @Effe,

Coding stripes feature is the default tool for viewing coding in a project item.

Could you please elaborate on in what way this feature does not work for you?

Regards,

We are coding interviews with 2 people. When I open the file, I can use highlights to see which text my colleague coded, but I cannot easily see what codes my colleague used. It seems the only open is to use coding stripes but that does not work well when dealing with a larger amount of codes.

Ideally, I would expect one could let this pop up by doing mouse over or by clicking on the highlighted text. alternatively something like how the annotation view works.

• Solution

Hello again @Effe,

It is possible to see codings of a specific coder with coding stripes feature.

All you need to do is to enable coding stripes with Selected items>Users>"Coder/User Name

Coding stripes will be displayed for codings done by that coder/user. Then, you can mouse-over the stripe to see coding details.

For further details please refer here.

Regards,

Thanks for your help. It does not really work with the amount of codes we have and the hierarchy we are using. It has been my main frustration with Nvivo over the years, dealing with the interview text and going through the codes there in the data (before you start mainly working with the codes themselves). It would be nice if in the future there would be an alternative for viewing codes other than stripes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - I would use a matrix coding query or a crosstab coding query to explore the data - it is easy to set up a crosstab coding query to show a large number of codes in a tabular form - not sure if this might help

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, this is a common frustration among users like us. It should be easy to see every code applied to any given piece of text! Coding stripes does not accomplish that very well for many users.