Machine Learning and NVivo

Go to solution Solved by canarik,

Hi, I have used NVivo from time to time but now I need to use a tool that supports natural language processing and machine learning -- I'm working with larger sets of news article (about 10,000 articles) and I want the system to learn from a set of human annotations to create a digital pattern that can be used to find matches (so I code 100 examples of "COVID vaccine availability" and it can find all the mentions. Does NVivo support this kind of automated coding (human-in-the-loop). Thanks in advance! Sarah 

• Like 1

• Solution

Hello @S Oates,

In Nvivo you can perform a text search query for the desired word (combinations) and code the results.

For further details please refer here.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Thank you! that is just what I needed to know (in other words, NVivo has useful tools but not full computational linguistics capabilities). You saved me a lot of time!!!

Hi Sarah,

Actually there is machine learning in NVivo - it is called autocoding using existing coding patterns. This YouTube video explains how it works - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvoDzMtu4V8

Best wishes,

Silvana

• Thanks 1

This is a really excellent You tube video - thanks for sharing these really helpful features of Nvivo for handling large quantities of text. Are there any papers that you have written that report on the substantive findings of a project where you have used these AI autocoding features?

many thanks

Jane

Hi again - I've just tried the auto code facility but run into a glitch that you may not be aware of. I am coding dozens of responses to an open ended question which is part of a quantitative survey i.e. doing mixed methods research. This means that all my responses are contained in a single 'file'. Each response is coded to an individual case and I have put these into 'batches' (static sets) of 30 to make the coding more manageable. I was hoping that having coded four of six batches I could get nvivo to auto code the remaining two batches, but unfortunately I can't tell Nvivo which cases I have already coded only which files I have already coded and of course all my open ended responses are nested within the same file, together with their attributes....it would be great if Nvivo had a work around e.g. if cases could be automatically extracted to create an individual file for each response.

I have included a screen shot below so you can see my problem,

any advice?

thanks

Jane

image.png.5a7935c736b3d5d4b395114cf9bb809a.png

Hi all, just joining into the convo since I have a question related to machine learning and the autocoding feature: Does anyone know what kind of algorithm NVivo is using for the autocoding feature? I assume it is more sophisticated than just keyword search but I am struggling to find reliable information on what algorithm is used for autocoding. Any hints/help highly appreciated! Thank you!

Hello @MeGu,

There are different techniques that you can auto-code.

For detailed information, please refer here.

Regards,

I also have a question regarding machine learning using NVivo via the "Automatic coding using existing coding patterns" method as described in NVivo here.

I am preparing for auto coding based on existing coding patterns by applying custom context coding for 5 words surrounding my word/phrase of interest using the text query. I save the text search query results twice in my nodes (one as a raw file and one as a file to clean for record keeping purposes). At first glance, both nodes of references retained the entire paragraph, with the sentence highlighted in bold to show coding (Eg: Reference 1: word word word word code code code code code code code code code code code word word word)   However, for some reason, after doing this for some time, when I check the node files again, the references have lost all context and only retained the coding (eg: Reference 1: code code code code code code code code code code code). 

Firstly, I require the context in order to determine which references I need to uncode from the node. How do I ensure NVivo retains the context surrounding the coding in my node/references? I am doing this since Nvivo's "Automatic coding using existing coding patterns" recommends I code shorter sentences and not paragraphs. 

Secondly, if NVivo cannot do this, will having the context be removed in the references/nodes affect Nvivo's ability to accurately perform the auto coding using existing coding patterns function? ie will the specificity of coding based off of my existing coding decrease?

Thanks in advance for your help in answering my questions!