Adam Long

Using QSR Software on an Apple Mac

*** UPDATE: A new version of NVivo developed specifically for the Mac is now available. You can download and use the free NVivo 10 for Mac Beta software until June 2014. Learn more about NVivo 10 for Mac Beta ***

All latest versions of QSR software are specifically designed to work on the Microsoft Windows platform. However, we have two products that have been specifically tested on a Macintosh system.

NUD*IST or NVivo 2 can be operated using Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac to host a Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional operating system and are currently recommended for Mac users who are wishing to use our products.

NUD*IST
A responsive, pragmatic tool kit for code-based inquiry and searching, N6 (NUD*IST version 6) keeps you close to your data and in charge of your growing interpretations.
Its unique Command Assistant writes macros in seconds – saving you up to several weeks of work. If your challenge is rapid access, sharp questioning, high standards of enquiry, thorough understanding and meeting firm deadlines, this is your solution. With N6 these are no longer incompatible goals.

NVivo 2
NVivo 2 is designed for researchers who need to combine subtle coding with qualitative linking, shaping and modeling. A fine-detailed analyzer, NVivo 2 integrates the processes of interpretation and focused questioning. Rich text records are freely edited and coded and linked with multimedia. A project starts as soon as ideas start. NVivo 2 enables you to take qualitative inquiry beyond coding and retrieval, supporting fluid interpretation and theory emergence.

Mac Environments
The following configurations have been specifically tested running either our NUD*IST or NVivo 2 software:

Mac G4
1GHz
640MB SDRAM
OsX V10.3.7
Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac v7.0.2
Windows XP SP2 and Windows 2000 SP4
Virtual PC Allocated Memory of 256MB

Mac G5
1.8GHz dual core
768 MB DDR
OsX 10.4.1
Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac v7.0.2
Windows XP SP2 and Windows 2000 SP4
Virtual PC Allocated Memory of 256MB

Of course these are not the only Mac configurations that can run NUD*IST or NVivo 2. Indeed these products should run on any Mac that can run the latest Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac software with the above recommended Microsoft Windows platforms.

Note that Windows 2000 Professional SP4 is the recommended platform for using our products on a Mac with Virtual PC for Mac.

What about NVivo 7?

Our brand new software product NVivo 7 has just been released and we know that Mac users have been eagerly awaiting the results of our platform tests on the Mac. We are pleased to announce that NVivo 7 will work on the new Intel-based Macintosh machines using the new Apple software product called “Boot Camp”, which is currently in Beta and available as a free download. Apple’s Boot Camp allows users to install Windows XP on a Mac and switch between both Mac and Windows operating systems.

Unfortunately, NVivo 7 will not work using Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac. This is because the latest version of Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac 7.0 emulates a Pentium II processor and NVivo 7 requires a Pentium III-compatible processor or later due to the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 component utilized.

QSR will continue to monitor any news about both Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac and Apple Boot Camp and provide further updates as these technologies continue to improve.

Success running NVivo 7 on an Intel Mac without Boot Camp (no need to reboot to use NVivo!)

System configuration

MacBook Pro

Mac OS X 10.4.6

Firmware update 1.0

Windows 2000 SP4 running under Parallels Workstation 2.1b2

Installation steps (may also work with Win XP)

1. Install Win2k and SP4 under Parallels Workstation.

2. Download and install Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.8.

3. Download and install MDAC 2.8 SP1.

4. Installing SQL Express 2005

- Download and install SQL Server Express 2005.

- After the installer completes its system configuration check, click "Next" to get to (eventually) the Registration Information screen. Ensure that the Hide advanced configuration options check box is de-selected.

- When the installer asks for the Instance Name, instead of SQLExpress, replace it with QSRNVIVO.

- When the installer asks for a service account, specify Local System from the drop down box (this was the default option under my install).

- For all other installation options, leave the defaults as they are.

5. Download and install NVivo 7. Voilà!

Early observations

Since Parallels Workstation is a virtualization application that lets Windows "talk" directly to the Mac's actual Intel processor (as opposed to Virtual PC, which fools Windows by emulating a Pentium II), Win 2k runs under it at near native speed (i.e., many, many times faster than it does under Virtual PC). With the small demo project open under NVivo 7, the speed is a bit pokey (application launch time = 41 seconds, though I don't know how that compares to the launch time on a Windows PC), but surely sufficient for most small to medium scale projects (once open, the program responds quickly to user input). And it beats the pants off having to use Virtual PC, reboot under Boot Camp, or buy a second computer just to use NVivo!

I've also recently installed Parallels (beta 4). My experiences differ from Zfirst's.

Nvivo 7 appears to run well and almost as fast as native, with the exception of the licence activation process, which crashes it, at least on my Mac. Zfirst does not appear to have experienced this (?).

However, Parallels suffers from other disadvantages: the full screen mode does not seem to implement well, so you have a choice between a small window which is inconvenient, barely fitting the Nvivo 7 interface, or a full screen in which screen fonts are badly drawn. (Zfirst: is this your experience as well?) Also, communication between Mac & Windows, which should be the strength, is implemented through networking, which I find difficult and unreliable. Drag & drop exchange of files between operating systems is being discussed for a future update of the software, but overall, for Mac users, this software has a windows feel to it, ie, a less intuitive orientation to the user, and lack of documentation; pehaps even by Windows standards it's lacking in these areas. (We are talking beta-software here, available for download for free, so some clunkiness is perhaps to be expected. Nonetheless, one would hope for a somewhat seamless, simple, intuitive, documented implementation. My disclaimer has to be that I have not stuck with Parallels long enough to get beyond the considerable learning curve for someone not used to networking computers or, in this case, operating systems).

Overall, I have to say, I really enjoy booting Windows (the dual-booting solution, though I use the Narf & Blanka solution rather than Bootcamp) to use Nvivo 7 on my mac. When I'm doing work on my data on Windows, where I intentionally have not installed the wireless driver, I'm in a cocoon--no e-mails coming in, no temptations to websurf, no other software or projects going on to switch to.

At least it's coming down to personal responses and preferences, apparently, for how to use Nvivo on a mac! Quite an improvement from the old days.

In response to prjones2's concerns about Parallels Workstation: yes, it is still in beta! Software at this stage is not finished, and often has bugs and limitations. The very good news is that the Parallel's development team have been extraordinarily hard working and responsive. Parallels is now up to beta 6, and they have implemented a full screen mode (with some limitations due to be fixed before the final product ships), shared folders between the Mac and the guest Windows OS, and a shared clipboard (for copying and pasting text and graphics between the two operating systems). All in all, it is turning out to be a great solution for those of us who want to run NVivo 7 on an Intel-based Mac without having to boot into a Windows-only environment. It's also only US$50 (40 if you purchase in advance, before the final version ships) - much cheaper than Virtual PC is likely to be, if Microsoft ever gets around to shipping a version for the Intel Macs!

Hi Adam,

Just a quick question for clarification. Your posting on this topic comments: "Windows 2000 Professional SP4 is the recommended platform for using our products on a Mac with Virtual PC for Mac". Can I clarify that this is preferred over more recent edition of Windows such as XP? I have a G4 Laptop running Mac OSX Tiger and would need to get both PC Virtual for Mac and the appropriate Windows system to support NV2 and N6.

By the way, well done getting the new Service Pack out promptly. It appears to address most of the minor irritations I had encountered that were causing crashes which is great. Hope we can soon see some more systemic improvements for handling and viewing coding - particularly the interface between Free and Tree Nodes, and the ability to print out a source with its coding showing the actual text coded at each mode.

Cheers,

Leonie

Hello Leonie,

Windows 2000 SP4 is our recommendation when using Virtual PC for Mac with QSR software because that operating system uses less memory than Windows XP. However, if you are running a Mac with a significant amount of memory (e.g. 1GB or more) I would recommend using Windows XP SP2. Just ensure that you give the Virtual machine more than the default allocation of memory.

Yes, we are currently looking at further improvements for handling and viewing coding in NVivo 7.

Regards

Adam

Thanks for the clarification, Adam. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Leonie

What about NVivo 7?

Unfortunately, NVivo 7 will not work using Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac. This is because the latest version of Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac 7.0 emulates a Pentium II processor and NVivo 7 requires a Pentium III-compatible processor or later due to the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 component utilized.

Hi guys,

The nicest professor bought an iMac G5 and wants to run NVivo 7. I was saddened to tell him it only runs in Parallels (my NVivo setup on a MacBook Pro) or Boot Camp, which unfortunately meant he needed a new Mac with an Intel processor.

... or so I thought!

I got it NVivo 7 working in Virtual PC 7.0.2, on an iMac G5!

I'm sure the details can be tweaked, but here's my exact setup.

1. Set up virtual machine with a fixed size partition of 2GB or larger.

2. Install Windows 2000.

3. Update to SP4. While you're at it, install all the recommended software updates.

4. Download and install MDAC 2.8 (link below).

5. Install NVivo 7 from "NVivo 7.exe".

Tada!

Takes a while, but it works.

Cheers!

Colin

-----

Technical info.

SQL Express 2005 wants, but does not require, a Pentium III. The independent installer, is more helpful with error messages:

1. Warning - you don't have the minimum hardware (i.e. your emulated processor sucks). True, but not fatal, as it runs albeit slowly.

2. Error - your MDAC is out of date. For this, it refuses to install! Hence step 4 is in bold.

MDAC can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...37-185d0506396c

You must go through the Genuine Advantage test - this can be done in Internet Explorer in the Virtual PC.

Ack! Sorry, I was wrong.

NVivo installs, and even launches, but eventually fails and quits with a database-related error. Doh!

SQL Express 2005 requires cache prefetching, a feature of the Pentium III not found in:

- Virtual PC 7 when run on a Mac

- AMD K6 III, K6-450, etc.

- Transmeta processor on the HP Tablet PC TC1000, etc.

Sorry folks! Unless Microsoft releases a version of SQL Express 2005 that runs on the older hardware, we'll have to upgrade to an Intel-chip based Mac (ICBM) :)

Colin

Links:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost....379689&SiteID=1

so hello,

you 've got a dualcore, i've got an ibook G4 (with the latest version of macosx) and i guess, i will not arrive to work on nvivo7 with my computer?

I've also recently installed Parallels (beta 4). My experiences differ from Zfirst's.

Nvivo 7 appears to run well and almost as fast as native, with the exception of the licence activation process, which crashes it, at least on my Mac. Zfirst does not appear to have experienced this (?).

However, Parallels suffers from other disadvantages: the full screen mode does not seem to implement well, so you have a choice between a small window which is inconvenient, barely fitting the Nvivo 7 interface, or a full screen in which screen fonts are badly drawn. (Zfirst: is this your experience as well?) Also, communication between Mac & Windows, which should be the strength, is implemented through networking, which I find difficult and unreliable. Drag & drop exchange of files between operating systems is being discussed for a future update of the software, but overall, for Mac users, this software has a windows feel to it, ie, a less intuitive orientation to the user, and lack of documentation; pehaps even by Windows standards it's lacking in these areas. (We are talking beta-software here, available for download for free, so some clunkiness is perhaps to be expected. Nonetheless, one would hope for a somewhat seamless, simple, intuitive, documented implementation. My disclaimer has to be that I have not stuck with Parallels long enough to get beyond the considerable learning curve for someone not used to networking computers or, in this case, operating systems).

Overall, I have to say, I really enjoy booting Windows (the dual-booting solution, though I use the Narf & Blanka solution rather than Bootcamp) to use Nvivo 7 on my mac. When I'm doing work on my data on Windows, where I intentionally have not installed the wireless driver, I'm in a cocoon--no e-mails coming in, no temptations to websurf, no other software or projects going on to switch to.

At least it's coming down to personal responses and preferences, apparently, for how to use Nvivo on a mac! Quite an improvement from the old days.

I have also had issues with parallels in terms of simply activating the program. After a few bugs in terms of installation (for some reason it was deleting what it installed unless I set the install location to program files with no enclosed QSR folder) the program was working fine and transferring the documents over is working fine.

However, the deciding problem is that it will not activate.

Firstly I wanted to just activate over the phone because I did not want to go through the complication of setting the internet up through my emulated windows xp.

The problem lies when I click to generate an installation key.

After calling technical support the reasoning is believed to be due to the fact that Nvivo 7 can't get the information it needs about the processor so it can generate a registration key. From what it seems (and I could be wrong) Nvivo uses the processor details to ensure the copy is used on a specific machine.

For some reason Parallels won't give correct access causing a fatal error.

On the upside if I click wait to activate for 7 days it works fine... for the next 7 days, not enough time to do my thesis in!

Going to try boot camp now.

If there is a way let me know? If activating over the internet will work also let me know, but from my above reasoning I think it will have the same problem.

Cheers,

Steven

Dear Adam and all,

I am just about to buy a macbook pro intel thing. But I also anticipate needing to buy a QSR program to manage qualitative data. I am not worried about the age of the program but I do want it to work on the Mac. Should I buy parallel and Nvivo 7 or should I buy virtual PC and use NUDIST 6 or Nvivo 2. Or should I just forget it?

Rob

Rob,

I'm not sure about using parallels, but I'm currently running NVivo 7 flawlessly on my 20" intel iMac using Bootcamp. The idea of using parallels and not having to reboot everytime I want to use NVivo sounds good, but its pretty much the only application I have on my PC side, so there are no distractions (i.e email, internet) while I'm using it.

Microsoft have said that Virtual PC won't work with the intel Macs, so I'd go for the option of using Bootcamp and NVivo 7. I have 1GB of RAM in my iMac and NVivo 7 run very fast, in fact much faster than it did on my 18 month old Dell Laptop.

Dear Stephen

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I had just gone out on a limb and purchased an intel mac with 1 GB of Ram so I am feeing mighty relieved that it can all work out. The sales people for Apple all told me that ehen they have used Parallels it has outperformed Bootcamp. So if it is designed for the same thing it might be the best option - but it is great to know if parrellels does not work out that I can effectively use bootcamp.

Thanks again

Rob

Rob,

I'm not sure about using parallels, but I'm currently running NVivo 7 flawlessly on my 20" intel iMac using Bootcamp. The idea of using parallels and not having to reboot everytime I want to use NVivo sounds good, but its pretty much the only application I have on my PC side, so there are no distractions (i.e email, internet) while I'm using it.

Microsoft have said that Virtual PC won't work with the intel Macs, so I'd go for the option of using Bootcamp and NVivo 7. I have 1GB of RAM in my iMac and NVivo 7 run very fast, in fact much faster than it did on my 18 month old Dell Laptop.

I haven't seen any recent posts on this topic about using boot camp and/or parallels, so I thought I would make a commment and ask a question.

I have found that installing Nvivo 7 on an intel Mac after having started up in Boot Camp works flawlessly. I was never able to get the install to work in Parallels, but I have not tried zfirst's approach, yet.

Now, I rejoiced when Parallels newest Beta enabled booting directly from the boot camp partition (provided it was formatted as FAT32 - not NTFS). So, when I boot WinXP from the boot camp partition in Parallels, NVivo7 does not load. It crashes.

Anybody able to direct we to the tweaks that need to be made using NVivo as described above? Has anyone tried Fusion from VM software? It is in a free Beta right now.

Monte

Dear bobele

I have not even got to trying to sort out Nvivo 7. I bought the Mac then my supervisor decided to leave the university I have not yet worked out if I am allowed to continue with the topic I would need Nvivo 7 for. I mus admit I do not feel encouraged to even try given the troubel everybody seems to be having. So sorry bobele and good luck.

Rob Hall

I haven't seen any recent posts on this topic about using boot camp and/or parallels, so I thought I would make a commment and ask a question.

I have found that installing Nvivo 7 on an intel Mac after having started up in Boot Camp works flawlessly. I was never able to get the install to work in Parallels, but I have not tried zfirst's approach, yet.

Now, I rejoiced when Parallels newest Beta enabled booting directly from the boot camp partition (provided it was formatted as FAT32 - not NTFS). So, when I boot WinXP from the boot camp partition in Parallels, NVivo7 does not load. It crashes.

Anybody able to direct we to the tweaks that need to be made using NVivo as described above? Has anyone tried Fusion from VM software? It is in a free Beta right now.

Monte

I used this thread to help me get started with NVivo7 on my new Mac running parallels and windows xp. I just extended and activated the trial software (download at the end of march 2007) with a purchased license. It did not crash and seems to work fine so far.

I used this thread to help me get started with NVivo7 on my new Mac running parallels and windows xp. I just extended and activated the trial software (download at the end of march 2007) with a purchased license. It did not crash and seems to work fine so far.

That is great news Whizaway. I hope it continues to work well. Given the trouble and complications people seemed to have had it all most seems too good to be true. Please let us know if it continues to work fine and you do not get crashes. I wonder what it would be like with the new windows operating system?

Rob Hall

Thinking about buying an IMAC but want to make sure Nvivo7 runs under it. I think Parallels is the software the store is recommending in general .

So just checking for latest (May 15) updates here...

1) Does NVIVO run under Parallels without special tweaks etc?

2) if there are tweaks, are they complicated?

3) can you run Nvivo FULL SCREEN now?

Best,

Daniel

Thinking about buying an IMAC but want to make sure Nvivo7 runs under it. I think Parallels is the software the store is recommending in general .

So just checking for latest (May 15) updates here...

1) Does NVIVO run under Parallels without special tweaks etc?

2) if there are tweaks, are they complicated?

3) can you run Nvivo FULL SCREEN now?

Best,

Daniel

Dear Daniel

thank you for your question and keeping thisconversation alive. I am still not in a position to inform you. I have bought a Macbook pro but I have not take the leap into buying NVIVO. My research proposal is still being formed and with the costs of everything it is not a program that I can affford as I am not with any department or supported in anyway.

I encourage others who have used the equipment you mention and the programs you mention to respond.

Thanks again.

Rob

Thanks much, Rob. I have read earlier reports from last year that NVivo did run to some degree, but if it runs only in a small window, it's not going to be easy to use.

Still leaning towards the IMAC, but NVIVO is an important part of that decisions.

Best,

Daniel, Canada

Hi Daniel,

I can confirm that I'm running NVivo perfectly on my macbook using the latest version of Parallels. I've also tried it on my 20" iMac and it works just as well.

I've installed and activated NVivo without the need for any special tweeks (using Windows XP), and yes you can absolutely use it full screen. Using the coherence feature of Parallels, you can have NVivo running in a fully maximised window (actually you can drag the window to whatever size you like) on the OSX side, or you can switch the screen to Windows and have it running full screen there.

Haven't had a single problem or crash since I installed the program. I would suggest though that you get as much RAM in your iMac as you can afford. I've got 2G in my macbook and it runs very smoothly.

Good luck,

Stephen

Hi Daniel,

I can confirm that I'm running NVivo perfectly on my macbook using the latest version of Parallels. I've also tried it on my 20" iMac and it works just as well.

I've installed and activated NVivo without the need for any special tweeks (using Windows XP), and yes you can absolutely use it full screen. Using the coherence feature of Parallels, you can have NVivo running in a fully maximised window (actually you can drag the window to whatever size you like) on the OSX side, or you can switch the screen to Windows and have it running full screen there.

Haven't had a single problem or crash since I installed the program. I would suggest though that you get as much RAM in your iMac as you can afford. I've got 2G in my macbook and it runs very smoothly.

Good luck,

Stephen

Thanks much for the information. Glad that NVivo7 now runs smoothly on the IMAC without special tweaks. Sounds like your installation is quite good.

I have purchased (still waiting for delivery though) an IMAC 20 inch, 2 gigs ram, 500 gigs hard disk, 256mb video ram. Was pretty worried about Nvivo not running, but now that I know it does, things are great.

I will likely have to contact QSR about an activation license though. When I installed Windows Vista, I had run out of activation licenses and couldn't install beyond the initial trial period built into the software. This is probably what happened for someone else in this forum, saying they couldn't activate Nvivo. I simply emailed QSR and they provided me with information on how to do it (another activation number).

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Best,

Daniel