Node list issue when auto coding interview responses to exactly worded questions using Paragraph Style

Go to solution Solved by benmeehan,

I am using auto coding to look at study participants' answers to exactly worded questions in interview transcripts in a large study. Everything is working well, except for one problem: Although I have numbered each interview question using Heading 1 in Word, in the resulting node list, the questions are no longer numbered. Instead they are alphabetized. This makes organization problematic because of the sheer number of questions asked. Is there a way for NVivo to recognize the number of each interview question just as I have entered them using Heading 1 in each transcript so the result would be a numbered node list rather than an alphabetized list? Thanks for any help.

• Solution

When you apply a heading style to a numbered list in MS Word, it gets changed to a heading by Word, which does not contain a number. If you add the number manually before or after applying the style, the number will be retained by Word and so your code list will index numerically when auto-coded. 

I hope this response was helpful but do let me know if you need more information.
Kind regards,
Ben
Platinum_Trainers_Badge_2021-239x300-1-2