How to find common identifier between classification and dataset

mobUL
Go to solution Solved by canarik,

I have inherited a nvivo project and when I have the dataset properties open I can see a number of fields listed as classifying in Analysis Type. Included there is a unique identifier column. I have additional data I would like to associate with the dataset to enrich the analysis which shares the same unique identifier. 

I think I need to import a classification sheet but I'm not sure how to map my additional data with the existing data. 

I tried exporting a classification sheet to understand the structure but it doesn't list the unique identifier column just the name or case path but I don't have a mapping of the name or case back to my unique identifier column 

How do I see the mapping between the dataset columns and the names or cases or is there a way when importing a classification sheet to indicate which column is to be used to join with the existing nvivo content?

• Solution

Hello @mobUL,

All you need to do is to set up your second dataset for import.

Please make sure that the unique identifier for your cases exactly matches with the one that you have in your Nvivo project.

During the import make sure that you select same "cases location" and same "case classification".

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Does it matter that there won't be data in the second dataset ? i.e. it would only be metadata about dataset 1?

Would it be correct to call it a merging of 2 datasets and so if I had columns of the same name (excluding the identifier) they would be over written?

Is there any danger of loss of analysis already completed on dataset 1 from doing this and is it possible to undo if needed or is it a one way trip? 

Hello again @mobUL,

By saying "it would only be metadata about dataset 1", if you mean that the second dataset only contains close ended/attribute level data, then there is an easier workaround for you.

Please watch the video here.

Above described process imports the second dataset as a standalone file(so technically you will not be merging datasets but cases and classifications).

Therefore, it will not affect dataset 1.

I hope this helps,

Regards,