Hello-has anyone else experienced system instability with N7? I have installed the service pack (just today). During a coding session after installation, (I had about 30 free nodes specified), the program flagged me that there was a fatal error, it was shutting down, and that any unsaved material would be lost. I didn't panic, because I had saved multiple times and very recently, yet when I reopened the program the nodes had disappeared. Any advice?

• 4 weeks later...
Hello-has anyone else experienced system instability with N7? I have installed the service pack (just today). During a coding session after installation, (I had about 30 free nodes specified), the program flagged me that there was a fatal error, it was shutting down, and that any unsaved material would be lost. I didn't panic, because I had saved multiple times and very recently, yet when I reopened the program the nodes had disappeared.  Any advice?

Dear Shannon, I have the same problem, sometimes I feel that the program is so sensitive to each extra click so it shuts down. I'm experiencing this problem mostly when Im working on my models, by the way I wish someone tells me why Im not getting to my connectors as I need to draw some conncting arrows, but the system does not do it ??

• 3 weeks later...

I also had problems with sudden crashes. Had several while in the MODELS (with SP1 version). Also had some for no known reason -- still tracking errors here. (When it was installing the Microsoft SQL, it gave an error message but worked fine afterwards)... until the crashes.

BUT... QSR support staff responded to my error logs within 24 hours. That's WOW service! I'm sending them new error logs are things move on, so hopefully the logs will be helpful in some way.

QSR... I don't like the crashes, but I love your service!

Best,

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Daniel

We uploaded the service pack today and since then I have been working on a copied version of the product with a new name so that multiple researchers can code simaltaneously, just know I was trying to adjust margins in the nodes sections as I was coding within nodes and have been since 3pm today. As Shannon expereinced, I received the fatal error and I thought dont panic I have been saving every 5 mins since 3pm. Guess What ! All gone, cannot located the lates copy only the 3pm version. If we are saving I dont undesrtand why this occurs. There is an error log but I need to got through IT etc to log request and dont have time for this just need to know what I am doing wrong so it doesnt happend again !!!

PLEASE HELP !!

Dear Shannon

This sounds like an issue for our Help Desk. Working through software problems like this is just not possible on a forum, as so much information needs to be exchanged. Please log a Request for Service.

Kind regards

Daniel Buffett

QSR International

Hi Jacqui

What you have experienced is a problem when accessing projects across networks. Nvivo 7 actually creates a temporary version of the project on your local drive and copies this back to the network location when you close Nvivo 7. Unfortunately, because you experienced a crash, Nvivo did not get the opportunity to copy this back. You should be able to find the temporary project in the following location:

C:\Documents and Settings\your username\Local Settings\Temp

It is a hidden / system folder so make sure you set these to being visible via Windows Explorer>Tools>Folder Options.

We have made improvements to Nvivo 7 which we are including in Service Pack 2 (not long now!) that should prevent this from occuring in the future. In the meantime, if you work with your projects on your local drive, this won't occur.

I hope this helps!

Kind regards

Daniel Buffett

QSR International

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks again Daniel, we have just loaded the SP2 last week so hopefully will have no more problems.

:blink:

Hi Jacqui

What you have experienced is a problem when accessing projects across networks. Nvivo 7 actually creates a temporary version of the project on your local drive and copies this back to the network location when you close Nvivo 7. Unfortunately, because you experienced a crash, Nvivo did not get the opportunity to copy this back. You should be able to find the temporary project in the following location:

C:\Documents and Settings\your username\Local Settings\Temp

It is a hidden / system folder so make sure you set these to being visible via Windows Explorer>Tools>Folder Options.

We have made improvements to Nvivo 7 which we are including in Service Pack 2 (not long now!) that should prevent this from occuring in the future. In the meantime, if you work with your projects on your local drive, this won't occur.

I hope this helps!

Kind regards

Daniel Buffett

QSR International

• 4 months later...

I loaded and started using NVivo7 yesterday. I had two crashes - the second time I could not find the "saved" file and your response did help me locate it. Now that I have it back I would like to learn how to avoid the crashing. We do have SP2 and I am working off a network - required to share project work. I'm not really sure when the crashes happened (i.e., what I was doing right then).

Any suggestions for avoiding them.