I cannot start NVivo project. I am getting "Database component" error, possibly related to SQL

vvuk
Go to solution Solved by QSRSupport,

When I install NVivo, and want to start a new project, I get a message "Database component did not respond in time. Unable to start service."  It offers to run a troubleshooter, which detects something with SQL, but when I run it and a new SQL server is installed, the exact same problem persists.

I tried reinstalling, updating to newest version and running the troubleshooter multiple times. But nothing helped. I wrote to NVivo about it a week ago, and still no answer. 

Hello @vvuk,

This might require further investigation with your system.

Please submit a support request form following: https://support.qsrinternational.com/nvivo/s/contactsupport/contact-support-form

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I'm getting the same error on my windows 11 PC. I have done multiple reinstalls of the software but to no avail. This is a widely reported issue. Will there be a patch to resolve this issue and is there a work around so that I can open my existing projects.

Thanks

Brian

Hi Brian,

Please enure you are installing the latest version (1.7). Check you have all NVivo updates (they are free) for your release. You should be running version 1.7. To check which version you are running, run NVivo and navigate to "File>Product info>About NVivo" If you are on a lower version than 1.7, then take the free update. To do this, run NVivo, and navigate to "File>Product info>Check for software Updates". You will be prompted to download and install the update. follow the on-screen instructions to install the update. 

If you are on 1.7 and still get the error, please make a request for technical assistance using the request form below:

https://support.qsrinternational.com/nvivo/s/contactsupport/contact-support-form

I hope this response was helpful but do let me know if you need more information.
Kind regards,
Ben
Platinum_Trainers_Badge_2021-239x300-1-2

Make sure it is not opening two instances of NVivo. This can cause the same error to occur. If you are like me, you will have clicked 15 times on your startup icon while waiting for the splash screen to appear. Check the taskbar to ensure there is only one instance of NVivo running. If there is more than one, close all but one. Has NVivo ever run on this device? If all else fails, you may need to make that technical support request using the link sent earlier. 

I hope this response was helpful but do let me know if you need more information.
Kind regards,
Ben

I just want to add to the conversation, that i also experience this issue on my windows 11. Also had this checked with the IT deppartment at my University, so i have checked every possible way to resovle it. We came to the conclusion that something must be missing in the newest version of NVIVO download .

I have written to NVIVO about the issue, and hope to get it resolved it as fast as possible.

• Solution

Hi Brian,

Sorry for the delay!

NVivo uses Microsoft SQL as a database component. If the SQL instance is unable to start, the 'database component' error appears.

NVivo 1.6 and NVivo 1.7 users can follow the steps below to resolve the issue.

1. Click on the Search box on bottom taskbar and search for PowerShell. Windows PowerShell will appear as a search result.

2. Click Run As Admin in front of Windows PowerShell.

3. Paste the below commands and press Enter

New-Item -Path 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15E.LOCALDB\MSSQLServer\Parameters' -Force

4. Paste the below commands and press Enter
New-ItemProperty -Path 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15E.LOCALDB\MSSQLServer\Parameters' -Name 'SQLArg0' -Value '-T1800' -PropertyType String -Force

5. Close Power Shell.

Create a batch file on your desktop as per steps below.

1. Right click on the empty space on your desktop, click Create New>Text Document. Name this document StartNVivo.

2. Open the document, paste the below text into it and click File>Save.

@echo off
sqllocaldb delete QSRNVIVO20.6
sqllocaldb create QSRNVIVO20.6 15.0
sqllocaldb start QSRNVIVO20.6
start "" "C:\Program Files\QSR\NVivo\NVivo.exe"

3. Open the File Explorer from the bottom taskbar on the computer. 

4. Select the Show option under the View tab and tick 'file name extensions'.

5. Rename the StartNVivo.txt file to StartNVivo.bat and click Yes on the confirmation dialogue.

6. Double click on batch file to open NVivo.

You should no longer receive the database error and do not need to repeat the above steps to use NVivo thereafter.

Kind Regards,

Bhupesh

Sorry Bhupesh

I made the edits you suggested but with no success.

I still get the same error. 

Note the version I am trying to run is Nvivo 12 Pro. 

I edited the batch file to point at the right executable but still no joy (see attached)

NVivo_j1O2BbLi1I.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Brian,

NVivo 12 instructions will be slightly different because it uses a different version of SQL.

Power Shell Instructions:

New-Item -Path 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL12E.LOCALDB\MSSQLServer\Parameters' -Force
New-ItemProperty -Path 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL12E.LOCALDB\MSSQLServer\Parameters' -Name 'SQLArg0' -Value '-T1800' -PropertyType String -Force

Batch file instructions:

@echo off
sqllocaldb delete QSRNVIVO12
sqllocaldb create QSRNVIVO12 12.0
sqllocaldb start QSRNVIVO12
start "" "C:\Program Files\QSR\NVivo 12\NVivo.exe"

Kind Regards,

Bhupesh

Hello,

Similar to the above, I am receiving this message and cannot access the software. Bhupesh I have followed your instructions however I still cannot gain access. I have spoken with IT support at my University who cannot resolve this either. What can I do to get past this please? I have paid for a licence and really do need access very soon.

Thanks,

Neal

Hello @Neal,

If above steps did not help, please submit a support request form following: https://support.qsrinternational.com/nvivo/s/contactsupport/contact-support-form

Regards,

• 1 month later...

Hi Zizi,

Please see earlier replies in this discussion for solution. 

I hope this response was helpful but do let me know if you need more information. Kind regards, Ben

• 1 month later...

I've submitted a support request already.

I'm a bit frustrated as this post thread is from months ago and this issue persists as we're here in January, I purchased a license for this program directly from my university on Sunday, and I can't access the program at all despite following all the above noted steps, as well as steps noted in another forum thread. 

Hi, if the steps outlined above do not work for you, please request technical support from the technical support group at this link:

https://support.qsrinternational.com/nvivo/s/contactsupport/contact-support-form

Please provide significantly more information than you have provided here including which version of NVivo you are using, what issues you are encountering, and any error messages received. 

I hope this response was helpful but do let me know if you need more information. Kind regards, Ben