Hi All,

I have been coding with N7 for three days and it crashes on average every 10 mins even though I save often I am still loosing data - any suggestions?

ALSO

When I try to drag & drop the text from the transcripts is moving and rearranging the text - thank god for undo - but I dont feel confident in N7 that I am actually coding data correctly.

FINALLY - Can you copy any of N7 back to NVivo2 just for the coding phase?

Its seem to be a great program with lots of potential but so many gliches.

:(

JacquiC@TP

Dear Jacqui

This sounds like a job for our Help Desk. Please log a Request For Service so we can deal with you directly to get to the bottom of the problem.

Nvivo 7 is not compatible with NVivo 2 (ie they is no way of creating an NVivo 2 projevt from your NVivo 7 project).

Kind regards

Daniel Buffett

QSR International

I'm not having problems with crashing. But I am having a problem when I block text to code it, the formatting does shift at times - I'm not sure whether or not I'm losing text, so I also use the undo command. This has happened enough times that when I read jacqui's post, I realized I had been having the same problem.

The solution to accidentally moving text when drag and drop coding is to turn on the coding density bar (via coding stripes options) - the document then becomes read only (just means you have to turn it off again if you want to edit, annotate or link).

Pat

Pat, I'm still confused. Should I therefore always have the document in read-only format when I'm coding? Will I still be able to code if it's read-only? Thank you.

Q1: Anybody has problem with viewing the the strips? I have around 30 sub-nodes in one single document. But Nvivo 7 can only show 7 strips at one time. I have to repeatedly go to the "view" function to select 7 nodes along my reviewing through the whole document. Is it an issue to anybody else?

Q2: NVivo 7 does not allow me to manually save the project before I close it. How can I know whether it has saved all the recent changes?

Q3: I tried to merge the files from another colleague into my project. NVivo put all the merged files into "Document." It was hard to move those file to a new folder. I could use "copy" and "paste"--gosh, that took a lot of time and made my pc frozen.

Summary:

First, while Nvivo 7 has the flexibility between documents (we can easily merge documents, save them in one place), Nvivo 1.3 has the flexibility within individual documents, especially regarding the strips and case function.

In NVivo 1.3, I can use the "cases" to store different things, such as reorganized tree nodes, sets of documents, or some search results. The flexibility with the Case funtion does not exist in NVivo 7.

Second, we can drag the nodes among tree, case, and sets in NVivo 1.3, but not in NVivo 7. Finally, I feel that the table formate (main menu) in NVivo 2 is much user friendly than NVivo 7. You clearly see the two systems--document vs nodes on the table.

On the other hand, we can see NVivo 7 is super-powerful beyond the individual project levels. Too many great functions to mention here. I just wish that NVivo 7 could retain some flexibility with those new advanced functions.

I am new NVivo 7 user --apologize if I sound too ignorant.

I and my 10 doctoral students are having the same problem where text in documents gets easily selected and moved around, particulalry when trying to highlight text for coding. This has been BEYOND frustrating! The undo function seems to save the day, but its S L O W and it doesn't return you to same spot as you just undid, and you have to find the spot again to make sure everything is back to normal. We are very nervous about what this is doing to our text files.

Is there an easy fix for this?

-Wayne

Wayne E. Wright, PhD

University of Texas, San Antonio

Pat, I'm still confused.  Should I therefore always have the document in read-only format when I'm coding?  Will I still be able to code if it's read-only?  Thank you.

Of course (re being able to code)! Up to you and how much of a problem it was re 'always'.

When you're not sure about something, save your project and try it and see! I find that the best way to find my way around new software on issues not covered in Help is to have that 'experimental attitude' - then you can discover all kinds of neat functions (or make-do workarounds - some of the former and a few too many of the latter at the moment)!

Pat

Pat,

I work with the coding stripes and coding density bar on and it does not stop me annotating the text or using the see also links. While the document itself appears to be in read-only mode because I cannot change the text, it does not stop the annotation and the links features.

Silvana

The solution to accidentally moving text when drag and drop coding is to turn on the coding density bar (via coding stripes options) - the document then becomes read only (just means you have to turn it off again if you want to edit, annotate or link).

Pat

Of course (re being able to code)! Up to you and how much of a problem it was re 'always'.

When you're not sure about something, save your project and try it and see! I find that the best way to find my way around new software on issues not covered in Help is to have that 'experimental attitude' - then you can discover all kinds of neat functions (or make-do workarounds - some of the former and a few too many of the latter at the moment)!

Pat

Pat,

This is a great workaround. Thanks a million! :D

I do hope though that the next NVivo 7 patch takes care of this problem.

-Wayne

Wayne E. Wright, PhD

Pat,

This is a great workaround. Thanks a million!  :D

I do hope though that the next NVivo 7 patch takes care of this problem.

-Wayne

Wayne E. Wright, PhD

I am having the same problems that Wayne and his PhD students had. However in my case turning on the coding density did not solve anything. :blink:

I did not experience any of these problems (editing within the text, coding) when I used the Trial version. Wonder if the source of my problems is the service pack (which I did not have installed when testing NVIVO 7)- that would be very funny, a SP creating more troubles

Hope somebody can help

thanks