Sign in to follow this  
DavidEare

Coding to tree nodes (Nvivo 7)

One thing that is annoying me with Nvivo 7 is that when I code to tree nodes using 'drop and drag' sometime the nodes collapse (and have to be expanded again) and sometimes they don't.

I can't figure out why this happens - I have tried pointing to the same part of the line each time and it sometimes it stays expanded and sometimes it doesn't.

a few more annoying behaviours

• if you are coding to child items at the bottom of the tree, the screen stops automatically scrolling at the last parent item - so difficult to get to the child items
  • Then the tree will either collapse or reposition to the top of the tree

I support you : this is very annoying. The ergonomy could be improved, even though it has already been so since Nvivo 2. These kind of things are petty things, that could perhaps be fixed in a future SP 3 ? Would someone at QSR be able to tell us something about this potentiality, please ? :)

Definitely agree with the need for the coding tree to stay expanded - could it default to the expanded form? The program is brilliant, but having to continually re-expand the tree every time you need to change documents or open a new document is really annoying - I actually logged on to the forum to try to find a way around it. Next SP?

Would like to add to this topic as I am also having this difficulty. Dragging and dropping is the most efficient way of coding once you have established tree nodes, so collapsing nodes become a big bug bear. I not only have the difficulty of the tree node collapsing, but find that when I try to code to some trees near the bottom of the screen, the tree collapses and then the cursor jumps right to the top of the viewing screen. I then have to scroll right down and do the drag and drop again. It always works fine the second time (i.e.the tree node does not collapse this time, and the cursor does not leap to the top of the viewing screen). I think there is something odd going on here, and have experimented with holding the cursor very steady etc. but the problem persists.

Definitely agree with the need for the coding tree to stay expanded - could it default to the expanded form? The program is brilliant, but having to continually re-expand the tree every time you need to change documents or open a new document is really annoying - I actually logged on to the forum to try to find a way around it. Next SP?