Critical Discourse Analysisi

Hello,

I am using Critical Discourse Analysis (CDA) methodology in my research, and I would like to use NVivo 7, nevertheless I have not found much information of people using NVivo with CDA. I would really thank if someone using CDA could let me know of their experience with the software and how adequate/inadequate, useful or not you think this software is for CDA.

Thanks

• 4 years later...

Hello,

I am using Critical Discourse Analysis (CDA) methodology in my research, and I would like to use NVivo 7, nevertheless I have not found much information of people using NVivo with CDA. I would really thank if someone using CDA could let me know of their experience with the software and how adequate/inadequate, useful or not you think this software is for CDA.

Thanks

I'm hoping to do the same over the next few months.

How did you get on?

John

Hi murena:

I´m doing critical discourse analysis with Nvivo 9 for my PhD. thesis (T. van Dijk now prefers to call it "critical discourse studies", because he stays there is no specific form of analysis that could be called "critical"), and I used previous versions of Nvivo in other research projects with this same kind of analysis.

I found Nvivo very versatile and apt to be used with different analysis approaches. I had previously used it with another kind of discourse analysis called "cognitive semiotics of statements", and it was also very useful.

I think there is no substantial difference in the way you use the software with CDA or with Grounded theory or with a phenomenological appoach. The "critical" part lies rather in your approach, or in your focus or insight. In the categories you choose and the way you connect them. The software just helps you to handle categories, and this is not a minor help. But I mean it is not the responsible for the critical of your approach, and it is as a good assistant for CD analysts as for GT methodologists or ethnomethodologists.

If you´re interested in reading some of my articles using CDA with Nvivo (in spanish) I can indicate you the URLs or send some via email.

Regards,

Pablo

Archived