In NVivo 7, service pack 2, I have one specific tree node in my project that collapses every time I code content to one of its child nodes. This is somewhat frustrating, as it is a node I access often. I have to expand it again each time I want to drag more content to a related child node.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Cori

Hi Cori,

Yes, NVivo 7 is very tidy in that each time you move to another source, it collapses the tree nodes but I can see working this way could be frustrating.

Lots of different ways to code in NVivo so perhaps try another method. Have you tried coding via the coding toolbar? Try moving this toolbar at the bottom or to the right of the detail view (if you have your detail view displayed this way for coding). Select some text, check the name of the node in the current view of the toolbar and select the green tick to code. Once you've coded to a node, it's name can be selected from the coding toolbar pull down list.

New nodes can be created by typing the name directly into the Name field of the coding toolbar but be sure to check where the node is being created (i.e. Free Node, Tree Nodes, etc.).

Hope that helps

Sue

Thanks for the feedback, Sue. I could have been a little more specific in my original post, though. I actually use a dual screen set up, where I have my document on one screen and my NVivo main screen showing the expanded tree nodes on another. I usually code by highlighting, dragging, and dropping from the document screen onto the node of choice on the other screen. There is one particular node that will often collapse when I drag and drop to a child node beneath it heirarchically. This doesn't happen to any of my other tree nodes, even as I switch back and forth between screens, so it is an ideal setup in all other regards. I continue to have problems with this specific node each time I open the project, even after NVivo has been shut down and restarted.

Kind of curious, huh? Perhaps this is a good question I should refer to your Help Desk. But any insight is appreciated.

Many thanks,

Cori

• 1 month later...

I also have this problem when coding and it is driving me crazy! Dragging and dropping is really the most efficient method of coding when you have an established set of nodes, so I fervently hope that this issue might be resolved in the service pack to come in January.

Clare

Thanks for the feedback, Sue. I could have been a little more specific in my original post, though. I actually use a dual screen set up, where I have my document on one screen and my NVivo main screen showing the expanded tree nodes on another. I usually code by highlighting, dragging, and dropping from the document screen onto the node of choice on the other screen. There is one particular node that will often collapse when I drag and drop to a child node beneath it heirarchically. This doesn't happen to any of my other tree nodes, even as I switch back and forth between screens, so it is an ideal setup in all other regards. I continue to have problems with this specific node each time I open the project, even after NVivo has been shut down and restarted.

Kind of curious, huh? Perhaps this is a good question I should refer to your Help Desk. But any insight is appreciated.

Many thanks,

Cori

• 1 month later...
I also have this problem when coding and it is driving me crazy! Dragging and dropping is really the most efficient method of coding when you have an established set of nodes, so I fervently hope that this issue might be resolved in the service pack to come in January.

Clare

I also have this problem, the fact that N7 is so efficiant in closing nodes is very frustrating, I also us the coding toolbar and right detail view but agree that coding by dragging is most efficent and agree that the closing of nodes is incredibly frsutrating ! Does anyone know if Service Pack 3 will resovles this issue?

Jacqui :blink: