csilver

INCONSISTENT autocoding

:angry:

I am unfortunately driven to write this because I have just spent another several hours being utterly FRUSTRATED by NVivo 7.

The one thing about the software which is potentially really really useful when working with large or complex datasets is currently inconsistent - resulting in ME having to clean up after the software. Grrrrrrr.....

In earlier incarnations of NVivo, its consistent recognition of Heading Levels has been incredibly useful. Now, in NVivo 7 with the addition of the reworked Case Node functionality, IF IT WORKED, I'd be able to organise repeated structure across large datasets quickly, easily and cleanly, allowing me to get on with more interesting things.

I've just attempted this AGAIN in preparation for a customised workshop with researchers working with a large number of open-ended questions - and tried it on 2 different computers (both updated to SP2 before you ask). When you do it using the Autocode function it codes each document into a seperate node - which then need merging to achieve the desired result. There is absolutely no logical reason why this should happen.

When you do it by text search and spread to the surrounding heading level it codes the whole of each document at each node. This is clearly wrong. I know that my documents have been consistently formatted because I used a template in order to ensure identical identifiers.

This topic has probably been discussed on the forum before, and I wish I didn't have to raise it again - but this is really important and it needs to be sorted in the next Service Pack.

Christina Silver

CAQDAS Networking Project

Christina, I'm not sure what you are doing wrong because I have been doing this without a problem. Are you using one document where each case is a heading 1 and each open ended question is a heading 2? If so, when you autocode are you doing it in two steps - the first time selecting heading 1 and locating it at the case nodes to autocode each case. Then the second time, selecting heading 2 and locating it a tree node to create a node for each question?

If you are doing that and it is still not working for you, then check that the heading styles you are using in WORD are the default styles.

OR are you organising the raw data in a different way?

Best wishes,

Silvana

Dear Christina

I apologise for the frustration NVivo 7 has caused. There is an outstanding issue in the software as follows:

If any heading level contains characters \ / : * ? " < > | then a separate node is created for each instance of the heading and appends a number to make the node name unique. We have already fixed the problem as part of our work on Service Pack 3, which will be released in mid January 2007.

For now, if you remove the above offending characters from the source documents, I think you will find your autocoding works as expected. You can do this quickly using Find and Replace (i.e. replace with nothing).

Again, I apologise for the inconvenience.

Kind regards

I am using the trial version. My supervisor is thinking to purchase NVivo 7 soon.

I wonder whether the trial version gets the same auto coding function as the formal version.

The auto coding function simply did not work at my pc.

:unsure:

Your response will be very appreciated.

Dear Christina

I apologise for the frustration NVivo 7 has caused. There is an outstanding issue in the software as follows:

If any heading level contains characters \ / : * ? " < > | then a separate node is created for each instance of the heading and appends a number to make the node name unique. We have already fixed the problem as part of our work on Service Pack 3, which will be released in mid January 2007.

For now, if you remove the above offending characters from the source documents, I think you will find your autocoding works as expected. You can do this quickly using Find and Replace (i.e. replace with nothing).

Again, I apologise for the inconvenience.

Kind regards

Dear chienni

The trial software is exactly the same as the purchased version. The only difference is the time limit of 30 days. Autocoding definitely works, so I would suggest that there is an issue with the structure of your source documents.

Check that you have applied the heading levels correctly, and if you need further assistance, send a sample of one of your documents to our Help Desk and they will be able to assist you further.

Kind regards

Dear chienni

The trial software is exactly the same as the purchased version. The only difference is the time limit of 30 days. Autocoding definitely works, so I would suggest that there is an issue with the structure of your source documents.

Check that you have applied the heading levels correctly, and if you need further assistance, send a sample of one of your documents to our Help Desk and they will be able to assist you further.

Kind regards

Daniel -- Does autocode rely on use of the default heading styles in the Word Normal template (as shipped) or does it pick up on the heading level regardless of any bespokemodifications? My Word ndocuments are all formatted to use heading levels 1-4 plus body text, so that I can use the Word Outliner to organise the contents. But to fit in with my organisation's house style the text attributes (font, size, spacing) of the heading have been modified. Will N7 recognise the modified heading levels

David Cairns

Daniel -- Does autocode rely on use of the default heading styles in the Word Normal template (as shipped) or does it pick up on the heading level regardless of any bespokemodifications? My Word ndocuments are all formatted to use heading levels 1-4 plus body text, so that I can use the Word Outliner to organise the contents. But to fit in with my organisation's house style the text attributes (font, size, spacing) of the heading have been modified. Will N7 recognise the modified heading levels

David Cairns

Dear David,

For autocoding to work you do need to use the default heading styles though you are able to modify the look of those headings should you need to and it will still recognise them. It does not however recognise heading styles that you create yourself.

Hope that helps

Warm regards, Fiona