PDF Document Integration

It would also be nice to see a better integration of PDF documents into future versions. Many PDf documents are text readable and the step of translating these documents to txt, rtf or doc format can be rather tedious and often results in the loss of some of the non-textual elements of the document or problematic document formatting. Having the ability to work right from source would be much more efficient.

I agree, converting from PDF into RTF or DOC is a pain, and not always successful.

Please add handling of PDF files as a priority in the development list.

The ability to work directly from a pdf document has come to my mind on several occasions; i think it's important to make this alternative available for more scrutiny and efficiency.

Hello,

NVivo 8 will allow you to work directly with PDF documents.

Further details mentioned here:

http://www.qsrinternational.com/news_whats...il.aspx?view=83

Regards

Adam

Agree that it is now possible to import PDF-files. Though, why isn't it possible to import PDF-files as PDF-files with page haeder and footer. It appears that the PDF-files are automatically converted to some kind of text file when imported to NVivo8. For example if the original PDF-file has multiple columns these should not be translated into one column when imported into NVivo8. Something to consider for future versions.

Merry Christmas

Søren

I agree with your comment. I would like to have an explanation from QSR staff about the technical reasons that make the software transform pdf files from their original format. It would be nice to have the option to work with pdf files as kind of WYSIWYG !!

Agree that it is now possible to import PDF-files. Though, why isn't it possible to import PDF-files as PDF-files with page haeder and footer. It appears that the PDF-files are automatically converted to some kind of text file when imported to NVivo8. For example if the original PDF-file has multiple columns these should not be translated into one column when imported into NVivo8. Something to consider for future versions.

Merry Christmas

Søren

Hi all,

I've just been thinking about the future of NVIVO and wondering what the possibilities are. Surely the PDF issue, and a larger question of how to handle documents that are 'text' but are not only fieldnotes, is something that could be usefully addressed in future versions. It would be great to hear about what the development team thinks about all of this. I made some of these points over at the "General Discussion" section of the forum (http://forums.qsrinternational.com/index.php?showtopic=2534).

These questions seem pretty pressing given the increasing availability of less expensive options for doing some of the things that people seem to do with NVIVO... I really would like to see NVIVO become a tool for organizing my research beyond merely coding fieldnotes and analyzing codes (which it does well). Having that function be at the center of a platform that allows several other research actions (like linking theory/the literature to the analysis of data) would be very helpful.

J