Cannot install NVivo on Windows Vista. SQL component returned consistently as one of the problems.

Any ideas on how to install ?

Thanks.

Daniel

d.cote04@sympatico.ca

Dear Daniel

We are waiting for Microsoft to release SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2. We will then release NVivo 7 Service Pack 4 which will be compatible with Windows Vista. The official word from Microsoft is that SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 2 will be released "in the first quarter" of 2007.

Based on our past experience, we are hoping this will be in the next couple of weeks. It will then take us a couple more weeks to fully integrate and test before we can release Service Pack 4.

We share your frustration that we could not have our product ready for the launch of Vista, but as you would understand we are completely dependent on Microsoft releasing an SQL product that is compatible.

Watch the announcements section of this forum for further developments.

Kind regards

Awesomeness! As always, QSR gives totally FAST and GREAT replies and service!

Thanks much. Looking forward. Nvivo runs much faster on my desktop than on my laptop, so looking forward to being a speed demon again. Now if only I could restart NVIVO on the laptop -- password I have doesn't seem to work to kick start it on the laptop :(:(

Best,

Dan

Dear Daniel

We are waiting for Microsoft to release SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2. We will then release NVivo 7 Service Pack 4 which will be compatible with Windows Vista. The official word from Microsoft is that SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 2 will be released "in the first quarter" of 2007.

Based on our past experience, we are hoping this will be in the next couple of weeks. It will then take us a couple more weeks to fully integrate and test before we can release Service Pack 4.

We share your frustration that we could not have our product ready for the launch of Vista, but as you would understand we are completely dependent on Microsoft releasing an SQL product that is compatible.

Kind regards

Awesomeness! As always, QSR gives totally FAST and GREAT replies and service!

Thanks much. Looking forward. Nvivo runs much faster on my desktop than on my laptop, so looking forward to being a speed demon again. Now if only I could restart NVIVO on the laptop -- password I have doesn't seem to work to kick start it on the laptop :(:(

Best,

Dan

Dear Daniel

Kind regards

Trying to install NVivo 7.0 on a new notebook Sony VAIO running Vista, having already successfully installed NVivo 7.0 SP4 on desktop running Windows XP.

Downloaded separate complete version of NVivo 7.0 that includes SP4 to install on notebook as instructed at http://www.qsrinternational.com/OS/Vista/nvivo.htm.

Did the naming fix to ensure computer name is in UPPER CASE.

Now I am getting the following error message:

"QSR NVivo 7.0 Installer Information

Error 1320. The specified path is too long

C:\ProgramData\Documents\NVivo 7 Samples.

Retry Cancel"

Retry gives the same message, Cancel terminates the install process.

Any ideas?

I had to UNinstall Nvivo7 before being successful with the new full Version that includes SP4. Try that and see. I run under Vista as well.

Best,

Daniel

Trying to install NVivo 7.0 on a new notebook Sony VAIO running Vista, having already successfully installed NVivo 7.0 SP4 on desktop running Windows XP.

Downloaded separate complete version of NVivo 7.0 that includes SP4 to install on notebook as instructed at http://www.qsrinternational.com/OS/Vista/nvivo.htm.

Did the naming fix to ensure computer name is in UPPER CASE.

Now I am getting the following error message:

"QSR NVivo 7.0 Installer Information

Error 1320. The specified path is too long

C:\ProgramData\Documents\NVivo 7 Samples.

Retry Cancel"

Retry gives the same message, Cancel terminates the install process.

Any ideas?

I had to UNinstall Nvivo7 before being successful with the new full Version that includes SP4. Try that and see. I run under Vista as well.

Best,

Daniel

Thanks Daniel, I appreciate the suggestion. However, I tried that, but it still didn't work. The install process gets through the initial stages of loading SQL Server 2005 and Crystal Reports, and the NVivo 7 entry of the Registration Code, but then part-way through the subsequent installation gives the same message as indicated above.

If you were able to install successfully, I am trying to work out what might be different about your system compared to mine. Is your computer name a short one? Is the administrator name where you install from a short one? Can you give a general indication of what you did for a successful installation?

I am thinking it might be a setting somewhere that restricts length of names, but have no idea on where to start looking for an answer.

Would appreciate any other ideas/suggestions or examples of success that others might have.

Hm.. Not sure...

My computer name is a long one (DANIEL_DESKTOP) all in caps as suggested. I run as an admin with DANIEL as my logon name.

I had to UNinstall Nvivo7 (from the old version) to reinstall. This was the only way to make it work. I rebooted several times.

You might try removing SQL as well, although I'm not sure if this will affect other programs. A new version will be installed though.

Hm... not sure what else could be the culprit in your case. Too bad the install isn't as easy as it perhaps could be. That's what we get for being at the cutting edge of operating systems eh!

So far, so good for Nvivo under Windows Vista. I cannot get the COMPACT/REPAIR function to work though.

Daniel

Sudbury, Canada

Hm... not sure what else could be the culprit in your case. Too bad the install isn't as easy as it perhaps could be. That's what we get for being at the cutting edge of operating systems eh!

So far, so good for Nvivo under Windows Vista. I cannot get the COMPACT/REPAIR function to work though.

Daniel

Sudbury, Canada

Thanks again Daniel - haven't got an suggestion for you, but I did find a solution to my problem, after searching for similar problems people were having elsewhere with the message 1320 on install, and Sony Vaio notebooks. (See http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?t=9...a23d12ec12b174b for the similar problem with other software)

So, the solution for NVivo 7 on Sony VAIO with Vista is this (based on Josh Holmgren's solution in the Delorme forum):

1. Attempt to install NVivo 7

2. When the error 1320 pops up, leave it, and then go to C:\ProgramData\Documents. You won't be able to look inside the folder, but you will see that it is a shortcut. You will need to make sure that you have made the invisible system files visible beforehand, otherwise you won't see it at all.

3. Move the shortcut to the desktop. Although you don't have access to open it, you do have access to move it.

4. Click Retry on the error box, and the install proceeds successfully.

5. Now move the Documents shortcut (which now contains the NVivo 7 Samples file), back to it's original location (C:\ProgramData) - you will see that it is no longer a shortcut, but a Folder.

I have no idea why this works, and wouldn't have thought of it as a solution but for it being suggested in the other forum for the other product!

Sounds great and creative. Good stuff!

I was able to ship my file to QSR and they repaired the database and sent it back within a matter of days. Great service. I'm now checking to see if everything is intact and it looks like they did a good job.

Best,

Daniel

Thanks for this. While I could find the program data hidden folder I could not find the documents shortcut in this folder? Any advice? Thanks

You might have to make the invisible files visible in the programdata file as well, it might be a separate action. I can't remember now whether it was something that had to be done for each folder.

Thanks for this. On the program data file I right clicked and sure enough the Hidden files was unchecked. However each time I check it I still cannot seem to see the documents shortcut. In fact I cannot seem to see any new files or shortcuts. I double checked to see if the hidden files was checked for program data and it was. Strange. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for this. On the program data file I right clicked and sure enough the Hidden files was unchecked. However each time I check it I still cannot seem to see the documents shortcut. In fact I cannot seem to see any new files or shortcuts. I double checked to see if the hidden files was checked for program data and it was. Strange. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try only looking when you are half way through the install ... after you get the error message.

If that doesn't work, you could try moving the whole file to the desktop and see if that works.

I can't think of anything else to suggest, other than doing a web search for similar problems others might be having with other software.

Can you confirm you have a Sony VAIO, or is this on another computer?

Another possibility is that the software loaded could have been updated since I had my problem, so files might be in different places.

Thanks again. The computer is a Sony VAIO, purcahsed last week. I tried moving the whole Program Data file however the file did not move to the desktop when I used cut/copy or when I dragged on to the desktop using windows. The error 1320 is stating the that file name is too long and ndicated C:\\programdata\documents\NVivo 7 sample files

Thanks again. The computer is a Sony VAIO, purcahsed last week. I tried moving the whole Program Data file however the file did not move to the desktop when I used cut/copy or when I dragged on to the desktop using windows. The error 1320 is stating the that file name is too long and ndicated C:\\programdata\documents\NVivo 7 sample files

There is another setting - Hide Protected Operating System Files - which you need to UNtick - see if that helps at all. You'll find it the same place you found the Show Hidden Files option. So you need to have Show Hidden Files ticked, and Hide Protected Operating System Files unticked. This should then reveal the file you need to drag to the desktop.

Thanks again Daniel - haven't got an suggestion for you, but I did find a solution to my problem, after searching for similar problems people were having elsewhere with the message 1320 on install, and Sony Vaio notebooks. (See http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?t=9...a23d12ec12b174b for the similar problem with other software)

So, the solution for NVivo 7 on Sony VAIO with Vista is this (based on Josh Holmgren's solution in the Delorme forum):

1. Attempt to install NVivo 7

2. When the error 1320 pops up, leave it, and then go to C:\ProgramData\Documents. You won't be able to look inside the folder, but you will see that it is a shortcut. You will need to make sure that you have made the invisible system files visible beforehand, otherwise you won't see it at all.

3. Move the shortcut to the desktop. Although you don't have access to open it, you do have access to move it.

4. Click Retry on the error box, and the install proceeds successfully.

5. Now move the Documents shortcut (which now contains the NVivo 7 Samples file), back to it's original location (C:\ProgramData) - you will see that it is no longer a shortcut, but a Folder.

I have no idea why this works, and wouldn't have thought of it as a solution but for it being suggested in the other forum for the other product!

Great!! I had spent hours trying to install NVIVO8 in a Sony VAIO with Vista but having no success. I had followed many suggestions found in other discussion boards but this is the only one that solved the problem!!! Thank you so much!!