help

Location of autosave files

help    0

Hi everyone,

As I was working on NVivo 7, it crashed... Is there a default location for the autosave files?? Despite the fact that I saved it many times this morning (both with autosave every 15 minutes and with the Save button in the menu) I can't find it... Can somebody help me please?? Thank you very much!! :)

QSRSupport    76
Hi everyone,

As I was working on NVivo 7, it crashed... Is there a default location for the autosave files?? Despite the fact that I saved it many times this morning (both with autosave every 15 minutes and with the Save button in the menu) I can't find it... Can somebody help me please?? Thank you very much!! :)

Hi,

Normally if you have made a saved change to your project and your project has crashed, when you reopen the project again you will be able to recover all the work up until the point of the last save. This will not happen if you are working from a network location, as when a project is opened a copy of the project is saved to a temporary location on your local drive and the project information will not be transferred back to the network drive unless the project has been successfully closed.

To be able to retrieve the project from your local drive, Please go to the following location: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temp (If you cannot see the Local Settings folder, please ensure that you have the option turned on to show hidden files and folders.)

Now, look for a file that has the same name as your NVivo 7 project, but with a .tmp file extension, so it would be "<project name>.tmp.nvp".

Once you find the file please make a copy of it first, so that you can be assured that you have a backup of that version of the project. You should also rename (right mouse click on the file and select "Rename") this project file to "<project name>.nvp".

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Justin

ewisem    0
Hi,

Normally if you have made a saved change to your project and your project has crashed, when you reopen the project again you will be able to recover all the work up until the point of the last save. This will not happen if you are working from a network location, as when a project is opened a copy of the project is saved to a temporary location on your local drive and the project information will not be transferred back to the network drive unless the project has been successfully closed.

To be able to retrieve the project from your local drive, Please go to the following location: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temp (If you cannot see the Local Settings folder, please ensure that you have the option turned on to show hidden files and folders.)

Now, look for a file that has the same name as your NVivo 7 project, but with a .tmp file extension, so it would be "<project name>.tmp.nvp".

Once you find the file please make a copy of it first, so that you can be assured that you have a backup of that version of the project. You should also rename (right mouse click on the file and select "Rename") this project file to "<project name>.nvp".

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Justin

Hi,

I have just had the same problem as described above

I followed the instructions that were given but the system crashed again when I tried to open the saved and renamed temp file.

are there any further suggestions or ways around this problem?

thanks

Erica

QSRSupport    76
Hi,

I have just had the same problem as described above

I followed the instructions that were given but the system crashed again when I tried to open the saved and renamed temp file.

are there any further suggestions or ways around this problem?

thanks

Erica

Hi Erica,

To be able to further investigate this issue, can you please send an email to QSRSupport, and attach a copy of these latest error logs that have been generated. The NVivo 7 error log is a text file that is found in your My Documents folder and the title of the text file will be err and then the date and time the error occurred.

Regards,

Justin