David Cairns

Could we have a 'comment' facility in NVivo?

I'm finding I want to do more and more of my analysis work in NVivo 7 and I was just asked to do a review of a research report. I have been trying to think how I could do my review in NVivo 7 and realised that one tool currently present in Microsoft Word which NVivo 7 lacks is the capacity to add a balloon comment to text. This is very valuable to me and I have been driven back to writing the raw material for my review in Microsoft Word.

Would it be possible to add a facility to a future version of NVivo 7 that would provide a facility to add the equivalent of a balloon comment to a document -- if for example by providing a hyperlink direct to a phrase or paragraph in a memo?

Just a thought.

David Cairns

Hi David,

Although it's not quite the same, you could use annotations as comments... This would even allow them to be printed as endnotes should you wish to print the document at some point.

Jen

Hi David,

Although it's not quite the same, you could use annotations as comments... This would even allow them to be printed as endnotes should you wish to print the document at some point.

Jen

Thanks, Jen

I think that will be helpful as a stop-gap. As far as I can see, though, you can't code annotations. Is that correct?

Many thanks

David

David,

In addition to Jen's suggestion about using Annotations, you also mentioned being able to create a hyperlink to a Memo. This can be done with See Also Links.

Regards,

Leonie

Hi David,

Yes, that's correct - you cannot code annotations. However, you can text search them.

You are, of course, able to code memos, the linking to and creation of which are Leonie's suggestion above.

Maybe you could annotate that you have a memo about a particular issue? :)

Jen

Hi David,

Yes, that's correct - you cannot code annotations. However, you can text search them.

You are, of course, able to code memos, the linking to and creation of which are Leonie's suggestion above.

Maybe you could annotate that you have a memo about a particular issue? :)

Jen

Thank you Jen and Leonie for your help. I'll give your suggestions a try and let you know how I get on.

Many thanks

David Cairns