Mattokun

NVIVO8 Crashes Inserting PDF and Photos

I just picked up NVIVO8 today and have not had much of a chance to use it. Interface looks great and the features are all very desirable.

One of the most exciting features is the ability to import PDF files directly. With so many government documents on the web in PDF format, I was really looking forward to this. I also liked the idea of importing photos, video and sound files directly as well.

However, I have tried to import 3 different PDF files - admittedly rather large but not huge - and NVIVO8 has crashed each time. I was able to import a small PDF but larger sized documents crashed the program. I also tried to import a photo two different times and it crashed as well. In the bottom left hand corner, where the bar saying how much of the job has been completed is located, each time it crashed and that read 78%.

I am using it on a Windows Vista machine and I have to say that it is much faster and just feels more stable than NVIVO7. If this bug can be fixed this is going to be great. I would like to hear if there are any other users with a similar problem. The main reason I upgraded was to make use of these functions so I hope this can be fixed quickly.

Or, perhaps it is my machine...?

Or, perhaps it is my machine...?

It must be a bug of this new version, I have exactly the same problem using on windows XP

Hello,

Please contact QSR Support directly via email. With your email please attach and send us the latest error log that was generated. The error log is a text file that is found in your My Documents folder and the title of the text file will be err and then the date and time the error occurred. This will assist us in understanding the problem and speed up a resolution.

Thanks and regards

Adam

It must be a bug of this new version, I have exactly the same problem using on windows XP

:( I also wanted to start using NVivo 8 to be able to code PDFs but it either keeps crashing, or the PDFs end up with lots of symbols inside them, figures/tables disappear or become all messed up etc etc etc... Very disappointing with the results so far I'm afraid...

:( Me too. I'm just trying 8 on a trial basis but I can't get it to load PDF's that have anything more than basic formatting in them, and it refuses to acknowledge mp3 files. Really disappointing.

:( I also wanted to start using NVivo 8 to be able to code PDFs but it either keeps crashing, or the PDFs end up with lots of symbols inside them, figures/tables disappear or become all messed up etc etc etc... Very disappointing with the results so far I'm afraid...

I am using vista with 2 gb ram. I had crashes on PDF entry when I first started using the program. I could tell that the RAM was getting maxed out when the PDF was processing - took 20- 30 seconds. Sometimes it would crash. I did two things and the problem stopped. I installed NVivo 8 SP1 and at the same time stuck in a 2gb memory stick and told Vista to use it for ram. One or the other, or both seems to have fixed the problem.

I do sometimes have the same problem with goofy characters being inserted. Seems that Nivo8 does not like the characters ff or fi in PDF files. Everytime it sees "firm" or "financial" it puts in "rm or "nancial. When it gets a "sufficient" it changes it to su$icient.

It also will not take some of the older PDF's that consist of images. These are the ones you cannot copy the text from even in adobe. I also have some PDF's that have passwords (that I do not have) , and cannot import those.