maga.kijak

"saved" but not saved... - is it normal?

I've been working a lot with NVivo 7 this week and I've noticed that even though I press the "save" button after every significant action (and also reply "yes" to the autosaving message) when NVivo7 crashes - which has been happening a lot while I was trying to import and edit sources - I seem to lose everything since the last time the project was "closed". :(

It seems as if the "save" button wasnt really saving anything... Am I doing something wrong or is it something that happens to others as well? I will be grateful for any suggestions.

hi Maga,

this sounds to me as a problem related to the Service Packs, i.e. are you running the latest SP, Service Pack 4 (SP4)? I remember this was an issue that got resolved in one of the SP's, so please check you are up to date. If this does not work you would probably be better off sending a mail straight to support for in-depth assistance.

Similar problem occured yesterday with workmate. She lost all her work, even though she had been saving during the day. I came out of the software and went back in at regular intervals and when the system crashed as it does... I at least had my work up to that point. Might be worth 'closing down' NVivo every once in a while.

Pozzy the latest service pack was in place.

Similar problem occured yesterday with workmate. She lost all her work, even though she had been saving during the day. I came out of the software and went back in at regular intervals and when the system crashed as it does... I at least had my work up to that point. Might be worth 'closing down' NVivo every once in a while.

Pozzy the latest service pack was in place.

Interesting. This recently happened to me. It seems to be transient, however, as when I shut down and restarted NVivo it did not recur.

My versions of NVivo 7 and OP (XP) are all up to date.

David Cairns

Hi All,

Please be aware that what may be common in all of these instances of data loss is that you may all be working on your project from a network drive location, and that the program was shut down or closed down unexpectedly (most likely after receiving an error message).

If the above does not apply to you please contact QSR directly via email at support@qsrinternational.com and attach any error logs that were created, where the error log is a text file that is located in your My Documents folder where it is in the format of err<Year>-<Month>-<Day>T<Time>, so that we can investigate these specific issues further.

While if the above does apply to you then you should be able to recover all your lost work up until the point of the last save. As when a project is opened from the network drive a copy of the project is also saved to a temporary location on your local drive and the project data you have saved will not be transferred back to the network drive unless the project has been successfully closed.

To be able to retrieve the project from your local drive, Go to the following location: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temp (If you cannot see the Local Settings folder, please ensure that you have the option enabled to show hidden files and folders.)

Now, look for a file that has the same name as your NVivo 7 project, but with a .tmp file extension, so it would be "<project name>.tmp.nvp".

Note: Please ensure that you are looking for the file on the computer that you had last saved your work on.

Once you find the file please make a copy of it first, so that you can be assured that you have a backup of that version of the project. You should also rename (right mouse click on the file and select "Rename") this project file to "<project name>.nvp".

If you are able to find the backed up version of the project, I would still advise you to attach any NVivo 7 error logs that have been created with an email to support@qsrinternational.com that was generated at the time of the crash, so that we can investigate the cause of the issue.

Regards,

Justin

Dear all!

I encoutered the same problem, that NVIVO seemed to save my work just fine but in the end it did not save my work at all. However, thanks to your suggestion to look into the temp file, I did retieve my data. Thanks a lot! I am very happy that my work was not 'gone' for real.

I am wondering though whether this problem occurs very often. At the moment I use the 'evaluation' version, so I guess this is the most up-to-date one there is.

Regards,

Rosera

Dear all!

I encoutered the same problem, that NVIVO seemed to save my work just fine but in the end it did not save my work at all. However, thanks to your suggestion to look into the temp file, I did retieve my data. Thanks a lot! I am very happy that my work was not 'gone' for real.

I am wondering though whether this problem occurs very often. At the moment I use the 'evaluation' version, so I guess this is the most up-to-date one there is.

Regards,

Rosera

Hi Rosera,

Just to let you know the situation you described will only occur if you are working on your project from a network drive location, and that since opening the project you had saved your project, and that for some reason your project does not close down successfully (i.e due to an error message generated). Then your most up to date version of the project will not be saved back to the network drive location, but instead will be saved to that Temp location.

If you wish to instead work on your project direct from your computers local drive, then there will be no need for you to ever need to go to that Temp location. If you do decide to work on your project from your computers local drive I would still recommend that at the end of each day's work that you then back up your project to your network drive.

Also please email support@qsrinternational.com with the error log that has been generated so that we can investigate and determine the cause as to why the error occurred in the first place.

If you downloaded the trial version in July 2008 then you would have the most up to date version of NVivo 8, though if you still wish to check that you do have the latest version and to receive the instructions to download and install the latest updates, please click on the following link: http://www.qsrinternational.com/support_downloads.aspx

Regards,

Justin

I have had the same problem. I saved all day yesterday, but towards the end of the day Nvivo 8 crashed. When I reopened the project, the complete day's data was lost...my project file showed that it had been last modified two days before, when I last used it. I searched the entire hard drive + looked at the temp folder in detail but there was no file created yesterday with anything remotely resembling the project file name.

Today, I've been watching carefully. My default file options are set to a folder on my C drive. When I perform a save, and refresh the folder, the file shows no change in either modified date/time, or file size. It only shows a change when I formally close the project. Which of course doesn't happen if it crashes.

Having lost a very productive day's work, I am now not relying on saving my project, either when reminded or by selecting the save icon. I now close the project at regular intervals, to be sure that changes are being saved. It's disruptive, but it's better than losing a whole day's data.

Since starting to use NVivo I've had a few crashes. Yesterday was the first time I noticed that the file hadn't been updated, because it was a whole day's work lost. I now have no idea what I might have lost on previous crashes, but am pretty certain I will have lost data. I'm not quite sure how to deal with the knowledge that my coding is not as complete as I thought it was.

edited to add: I found the temp file, as suggested above. Thank you!!!! I'm a lot more confident knowing I can find anything that gets lost!

I have had the same problem. I saved all day yesterday, but towards the end of the day Nvivo 8 crashed. When I reopened the project, the complete day's data was lost...my project file showed that it had been last modified two days before, when I last used it. I searched the entire hard drive + looked at the temp folder in detail but there was no file created yesterday with anything remotely resembling the project file name.

Today, I've been watching carefully. My default file options are set to a folder on my C drive. When I perform a save, and refresh the folder, the file shows no change in either modified date/time, or file size. It only shows a change when I formally close the project. Which of course doesn't happen if it crashes.

Having lost a very productive day's work, I am now not relying on saving my project, either when reminded or by selecting the save icon. I now close the project at regular intervals, to be sure that changes are being saved. It's disruptive, but it's better than losing a whole day's data.

Since starting to use NVivo I've had a few crashes. Yesterday was the first time I noticed that the file hadn't been updated, because it was a whole day's work lost. I now have no idea what I might have lost on previous crashes, but am pretty certain I will have lost data. I'm not quite sure how to deal with the knowledge that my coding is not as complete as I thought it was.

edited to add: I found the temp file, as suggested above. Thank you!!!! I'm a lot more confident knowing I can find anything that gets lost!

Hi,

I am glad to know that you have now been able to recover your project.

While just to let you know the modified date and time details in your project.nvp file (in for example your Windows Explorer) are not updated until after the project has been closed down. Though please be aware that if you are working on your project that is stored in a local drive location, and you do experience an error then the next time the project opens your last saved changes should be displayed.

Regards,

Justin