Guest niclaso

NVivo 8 crashes on startup

Guest niclaso

Hi,

I am having a problem with my NVivo 8. It keeps on crashing shortly after starting up.

I uninstalled NVivo 7, which may not have been a smart thing to do as I have no working version at the moment.

Does this crashing problem have to do with the problems of installing MS SQL server 2005, which has been a known problem for the NVivo 7?

I cant locate the problem and I really would like to start with my project? Does anyone have any ideas? I have also tried to reinstall NVivo 8, but nothing seem to help.

Best regards,

Niclas Östlund

I am having the same problem!!!! I just imported some files this afternoon and was going in to add my codes and when I click on the project to open, NVivo 8 closes and goes back to desktop!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi,

I am having a problem with my NVivo 8. It keeps on crashing shortly after starting up.

I uninstalled NVivo 7, which may not have been a smart thing to do as I have no working version at the moment.

Does this crashing problem have to do with the problems of installing MS SQL server 2005, which has been a known problem for the NVivo 7?

I cant locate the problem and I really would like to start with my project? Does anyone have any ideas? I have also tried to reinstall NVivo 8, but nothing seem to help.

Best regards,

Niclas Östlund

Guest niclaso

Hi,

I solved the problem...

It definitely had to do with me uninstalling NVivo7 after having installed NVivo8. I think the uninstallation makes unpredicted changes in the MS SQL server, which does not go away even though you´re reinstalling version 8. I also tried to, as described in the getting started document, to uninstall the different MS SQL parts, but that did not work either

This is how to solve the problem...

1, Uninstall all versions of NVivo in the Control panel

2, Install version 7 and try to see if that works fine.

3, Then install version 8 and DO NOT uninstall version 7, leave it be.

Best regards,

Niclas

I am having the same problem!!!! I just imported some files this afternoon and was going in to add my codes and when I click on the project to open, NVivo 8 closes and goes back to desktop!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi,

I solved the problem...

It definitely had to do with me uninstalling NVivo7 after having installed NVivo8. I think the uninstallation makes unpredicted changes in the MS SQL server, which does not go away even though you´re reinstalling version 8. I also tried to, as described in the getting started document, to uninstall the different MS SQL parts, but that did not work either

This is how to solve the problem...

1, Uninstall all versions of NVivo in the Control panel

2, Install version 7 and try to see if that works fine.

3, Then install version 8 and DO NOT uninstall version 7, leave it be.

Best regards,

Niclas

After trying to do what you posted Nvivo 8 still crashes on startup.

Here is the error log:

Version = 8.0.148.0
Exception = System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException
Message = Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
FullText = System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to a failure in starting the process for the user instance. The connection will be closed.
  at QSR.NVivo.Presentation.Forms.Launch.a(Object A_0, RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs A_1)
  at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnRunWorkerCompleted(RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs e)
  at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.AsyncOperationCompleted(Object arg)
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
  at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
  at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)
  at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
  at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
  at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
  at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
  at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNat
iveMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
  at QSR.NVivo.Presentation.Forms.Program.b(String[] A_0)
  at QSR.NVivo.Presentation.Forms.Program.c(String[] A_0)

Hello,

NVivo 8 can still be used without having the need to leave NVivo 7 on your computer. Of course, you can still leave NVivo 7 installed if you prefer to do so.

Please contact us via email at support@qsrinternational.com and attach the NVivo error logs that have been created in order to allow us to assist you individually.

An NVivo error log is a text file found in your My Documents folder and the title of the text file will be determined by the date and time that the error occurred, in the format of err<Year>-<Month>-<Day>T<Time>.

Please advise us of the last actions you had performed prior to the errors occurring.

Kind regards,

Dalia Hermes

QSR International

Having the same issue.

Basically just starting up NVivo8 and then attempting to load any NVivo file (either the Volunteering example project or my own project I had set up to try out the program with), makes it just crash.

Error log:

Version = 8.0.175.0

FullText = System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to a failure in starting the process for the user instance. The connection will be closed.

at QSR.NVivo.Presentation.Forms.Launch.a(Object A_0, RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs A_1)

at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnRunWorkerCompleted(RunWorkerCompletedEv

entArgs e)

at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)

at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)

at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(

TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNat

iveMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)

Error Log from earlier:

Version = 8.0.175.0

at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnRunWorkerCompleted(RunWorkerCompletedEv

entArgs e)

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(

I am having the same problem, which first occured after I install SP1. I uninstalled Nvivo 8, uninstalled the SQL programs, and reinstalled the new Nivo 8 with SP1 already included. Same problem. Here is the latest error message. A system reflection target invocation exception does seem to have theological roots. Perhaps God does not like my project?

Version = 8.0.175.0

entArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.GetOpenFileName(OPENFILENAME_I ofn)

at System.Windows.Forms.OpenFileDialog.RunFileDialog(OPENFILENAME_I ofn)

at System.Windows.Forms.FileDialog.RunDialog(IntPtr hWndOwner)

at System.Windows.Forms.CommonDialog.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)

at QSR.NVivo.Presentation.Forms.NVivoApplication.b7()

at QSR.NVivo.Presentation.Controls.StartViewControl.b(Object A_0, EventArgs A_1)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)

I wrote support on this and got a prompt and helpful reply.

This fixed it.

Firstly, please restart your computer. If this action has not rectified your problem, the issue may be related to a Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express (which is the database component that NVivo 8 uses) permission issue. To help ensure that you have adequate permissions to use SQL server, please perform the steps below:

1. Stop the service

· Click Start -> Settings -> Control Panel

· Double click Administrative Tools

· Double click Services

· Double click SQL Server (QSRNVIVO8)

· On the General tab can you make sure that the 'Service status' is 'stopped'. If the 'Service status' is listed as 'Started'. Then press the Stop button, and wait for the service to stop.

· Can you also make sure that you have the 'Startup type' as 'Automatic'.

· Click on the Log On tab

· For the 'Log on as:' option, select the Local System account radio button. This will eliminate any potential security conflicts the Network Service account.

· Press OK

2. Rename the old system database files

· Open Windows Explorer

· Go to C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Data\QSRNVIVO8 (the folder location on Windows Vista is C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Data\QSRNVIVO8)

· Rename the QSRNVIVO8 folder to something like 'QSRNVIVO8 - old'

You may be required to Show hidden files and folders if the Local Settings folder, or the AppData folder for Windows Vista, is not visible.

3. Restart the machine

4. Open a project

· Double click on the NVivo 8 icon on the desktop.

· When NVivo is first launched after the QSRNVIVO system database folder has been removed, SQL will attempt to recreate all of the files in that folder. So on this occasion, once NVivo 8 launches just wait for about 10 seconds before moving to the next step.

· Click on the Volunteering tutorial project link to open the project.

If the project opens successfully then the SQL service and system database components are running as expected.

If the above steps have not resolved your issue, another cause of the problem may be that Microsoft SQL Server 2005 hasn't been installed successfully on your machine. You can check this by selecting the Start menu, then Control Panel, then select ‘Add or Remove Programs’. Scroll down the list of currently installed programs and look for the following:

Microsoft SQL Server 2005

Microsoft SQL Server Native Client

Do both of these programs exist on your machine?

Here's the error text:

Version = 8.0.180.0

Exception = System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException

Message = '.', hexadecimal value 0x00, is an invalid character. Line 18169, position 102. (C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\QSR_International\NVivo.exe_Url_opbo15fsyy2jcksnpcuhifq43tnwl3qv\8.0.175.0\user.config line 18169)

FullText = System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: '.', hexadecimal value 0x00, is an invalid character. Line 18169, position 102. (C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\QSR_International\NVivo.exe_Url_opbo15fsyy2jcksnpcuhifq43tnwl3qv\8.0.175.0\user.config line 18169) ---> System.Xml.XmlException: '.', hexadecimal value 0x00, is an invalid character. Line 18169, position 102.

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String[] args)

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowInvalidChar(Int32 pos, Char invChar)

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseText(Int32& startPos, Int32& endPos, Int32& outOrChars)

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseText()

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent()

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()

at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read()

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Skip()

at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Skip()

at System.Configuration.XmlUtil.StrictSkipToNextElement(ExceptionAction action)

at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ScanSectionsRecursive(XmlUtil xmlUtil, String parentConfigKey, Boolean inLocation, String locationSubPath, OverrideModeSetting overrideMode, Boolean skipInChildApps)

at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ScanSectionsRecursive(XmlUtil xmlUtil, String parentConfigKey, Boolean inLocation, String locationSubPath, OverrideModeSetting overrideMode, Boolean skipInChildApps)

at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ScanSections(XmlUtil xmlUtil)

at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.InitConfigFromFile()

at System.Configuration.ConfigurationSchemaErrors.ThrowIfErrors(Boolean ignoreLocal)

at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ThrowIfParseErrors(ConfigurationSch

emaErrors schemaErrors)

at System.Configuration.Configuration..ctor(String locationSubPath, Type typeConfigHost, Object[] hostInitConfigurationParams)

at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationHost.OpenExeConfiguration(ConfigurationF

ileMap fileMap, Boolean isMachine, ConfigurationUserLevel userLevel, String exePath)

at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.OpenExeConfigurationImpl(Configuration

FileMap fileMap, Boolean isMachine, ConfigurationUserLevel userLevel, String exePath)

at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.OpenMappedExeConfiguration(ExeConfigur

ationFileMap fileMap, ConfigurationUserLevel userLevel)

at System.Configuration.ClientSettingsStore.ReadSettingsFromFile(String configFileName, String sectionName, Boolean isUserScoped)

at System.Configuration.LocalFileSettingsProvider.GetSettingValuesFromFile(String configFileName, String sectionName, Boolean userScoped, SettingsPropertyCollection properties)

at System.Configuration.LocalFileSettingsProvider.Upgrade(SettingsContext context, SettingsPropertyCollection properties, Boolean isRoaming)

at System.Configuration.LocalFileSettingsProvider.Upgrade(SettingsContext context, SettingsPropertyCollection properties)

at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.Upgrade()

at QSR.NVivo.Business.Services.ApplicationConfiguration.LoadConfigurationSettings()

at QSR.NVivo.Business.Services.ApplicationConfiguration.get_Instance()

at g3.y()

at QSR.NVivo.Presentation.Forms.Launch.p()