Annotations and comments

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I think that importing comments as annotations would be an excellent addition to Nvivo as much collaborative writing these days involves the extensive use of comments in MS Word and even in Adobe Acrobat.

• 3 months later...

I agree. If NVivo could automatically import AND export from/to Word the information in 'comments' (for example, as suggested, in the form of annotations) that would be helpful.

Similarly, the information in headers (which in many cases could be transferred to/from the 'description' field of documents) and footers, especially if the user is given the option to import/export that type of information.

• 1 year later...

I agree, especially with regards to PDFs - comments, underlining, etc. Currently, underlining and other markup of a PDF done in Acrobat (or in an ipad reader like PDF Expert) is imported into the internal document. But it is not editable. It would be great if it were possible to have a full-fledged PDF reader/writer/annotator inside of NVIVO. Indeed, if it were possible to maintain the PDF as an actual PDF outside of NVIVO, but code it inside of NVIVO, that would be ideal. Any comments, underlines, etc., added in NVIVO could be added to the actual pdf document, so that when it was accessed by another program, the new commentary would be visible. This would allow the PDF to remain an active document, to be accessible from Zotero or other programs, etc.

I keep my PDFs in a folder in an online "cloud" storage server, with links to it from Zotero; this way, I'm able to access any PDF from my ipad, to read, take notes, annotate, etc. When I sync it back to the server, my PDFs reflect the new annotations, and remain in place to be opened by any number of other applications, including Zotero. It would be great if NVIVO adopted this approach to source documents, instead of sort of freezing them in time and locking them in place within the larger NVIVO database file.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Agree, 2021 and despite YEARS of requesting more features with respect to annotations, little has been done.