twilli29

'Database Component Failure' Message

I have the student version NVivo 8 on my home computer. The program loads, but when I try to open an exisitng project I get the following Message:

Database Component Failure

The service 'SQL Server (QRSNVIVO)' failed to start. Please see your sytsem administrator to resolve this problem.

If anyone knows what I should do, please help!

Hello,

This error message may indicates that there was an initial installation error. To ensure that the installation is successful please refer to the following FAQs: http://www.qsrinternational.com/support_fa...l.aspx?view=354,

if you are using windows vista, please refer to http://www.qsrinternational.com/support_fa...l.aspx?view=418

If the suggestions from the FAQ do not resolve the problem please follow the steps below:

The issue may be related to a Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express (which is the database component that NVivo 8 uses) permission issue. To help ensure that you have adequate permissions to use SQL server, please perform the steps below:

1. Stop the service

Click Start -> Settings -> Control Panel

Double click Administrative Tools

Double click Services

Double click SQL Server (QSRNVIVO8)

Currently, on the General tab the service 'Startup type' should be set to 'Automatic', and the 'Service status' should be 'Started'.

Press the Stop button, wait for the service to stop

Click on the Log On tab

For the 'Log on as:' option, select the Local System account radio button. This will eliminate any potential security conflicts the Network Service account.

Press OK

2. Rename the old system database files

Open Windows Explorer

For Non-Vista: Go to C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Data\QSRNVIVO8

For Vista: the folder location is C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Data\QSRNVIVO8

Rename the QSRNVIVO8 folder to something like 'QSRNVIVO8 - old'

You may be required to Show hidden files and folders if the Local Settings folder, or the AppData folder for Windows Vista, is not visible.

To view this folder you will need to do the following:

For Non-Vista:

· Double Click the 'My Computer' icon

· Click on Tools from the menu bar

· Select Folder Options

· Click on the View Tab

· Locate the heading 'Hidden files and folders'

· Ensure that Show hidden files and folders is selected

· Click on Apply and select Yes if a message is displayed

· Click on OK and close the screen

Windows Vista:

Display all hidden files and folders:

. Right mouse click on the Windows Start button -> Explore

. Click on Organize -> Folder and Search Options

. On the Folder Options dialog, click on the View tab and check 'Show hidden files and folders' option

. Uncheck 'Hide protected operating system files (recommended)' option, click on the Apply button

NOTE: If unable to rename the folder receiving access denied, please turn off the User Account Control from Control Panel -> click ‘Classic View’ on top left hand corner, then click on ‘User Accounts’ -> click ‘Turn User Account Control On or Off’ -> uncheck ‘Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer’ -> click ‘OK’ (PC will restart)

Rename the QSRNVIVO8 folder to something like 'QSRNVIVO8 - old'

3. Restart the machine

4. Open a project

· Double click on the NVivo 8 icon on the desktop.

· When NVivo is first launched after the QSRNVIVO8 system database folder has been removed, SQL will attempt to recreate all of the files in that folder. So on this occasion, once NVivo 8 launches just wait for about 10 seconds before moving to the next step.

· Click on the Volunteering tutorial project link to open the project.

If the project opens successfully then the SQL service and system database components are running as expected.

If the problem persists, please contact QSR Customer Service and Support directly via support@qsrinternational.com

Kind Regards,

Glenys Veith