(second post for today, sorry everyone!)

What I'd really like is to just be able to show highlighting as I'm creating new codes. Is there any way to do this? That way I can see where I'm up to in the source document and where I last coded something.

Thanks

(second post for today, sorry everyone!)

What I'd really like is to just be able to show highlighting as I'm creating new codes. Is there any way to do this? That way I can see where I'm up to in the source document and where I last coded something.

Thanks

Hi Kristy (again!)

Go to View in the drop down menu. Choose Highlight -> Coding for all nodes.

Alternatively you could open the coding density bar.

Remember that cases are actually nodes, so if you entire document is saved as a case then the whole thing will be highlighted as coded.

Hope that helps.

Perelandra

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Kristy (again!)

Go to View in the drop down menu. Choose Highlight -> Coding for all nodes.

Alternatively you could open the coding density bar.

Remember that cases are actually nodes, so if you entire document is saved as a case then the whole thing will be highlighted as coded.

Hope that helps.

Perelandra

Thanks Perelandra

As my participants are all cases, if I highlight for all nodes it highlights everything. I'd like to be able to see new free

nodes highlighted as I make them (like I'm highlighting with a pen as I read something) rather than having to keep going back into the view->highlight->show highlighting for selected nodes and then ticking the boxes of recently created nodes. I find that coding stripes are too hard to read when I'm doing free coding with lots of new categories (often with long names).

Thanks Perelandra

As my participants are all cases, if I highlight for all nodes it highlights everything. I'd like to be able to see new free

nodes highlighted as I make them (like I'm highlighting with a pen as I read something) rather than having to keep going back into the view->highlight->show highlighting for selected nodes and then ticking the boxes of recently created nodes. I find that coding stripes are too hard to read when I'm doing free coding with lots of new categories (often with long names).

Hi Kirsty and Perelandra,

Kirsty's question sounds very similar to mine so I'm tagging on here. I've finally got around to installing Nvivo 8 and importing my project from version 2. Now in Nvivo 2 I did a lot of free coding using something called 'the coder' , a separate window which showed all your nodes in the usual kind of layout. Whenever you clicked on a node in this window all text coded at that node was highlighted in the source. Like Kirsty I found the ability to quickly - with one click - highlight all text coded at a node was extremely helpful.

Perelandra, can you confirm that the coder does not exist in Nvivo 8? Are the alternative multi-click ways of highlighting coded text the only way of doing this very basic thing now?

Thanks,

Rob

nb. what I mean by the coder window is shown here

Rob,

The nearest thing would be to right click on the coding density bar (which I recommend you have open all the time you are coding), and select Show stripe and then select the node you are interested in. You will get a stripe for just that node which shows which lines are coded with it right through the document. Simply clicking on it will highlight the exact coded text, or a right click on it gives you various other options as well you might want to experiment with. If the highlighting persists (it depends how you asked for it), then you can clear it by going View > HIghlight > None, or clicking on the appropriate toolbar icon.

Pat