coolrat33

Seeking advice for organizing data for project

coolrat33    0

Hi

I'm new to Nvivo In the coming weeks I will finish preparing my field note data and will use it to begin my analysis.

My data consists of audio interviews, photos and video footage of folk religious groups in China. I have written my fieldwork notes from 2007 to 2010 in one long OpenOffice .odf document.

Most of the interviews have been transcribed into text (Chinese language) and I was planning to:

a) insert the interviews into my field notes in the OpenOffice .odf document. The reason for doing this is to keep each day's personal observations/notes together with the interviews that took place on each day.

B) insert photos of particular events into the OpenOffice .odf document.

Is this a good idea? Is there a better way of doing this?

I want to be able to have a clear chronological understanding of my data.

Should I use one long document? Or should I divide it up by years? And should I keep the interview transcripts separate from my field notes?

Finally, how can I associate video material with the text?

Thank you for any advice you can provide!

coolrat33    0
Hi

I'm new to Nvivo In the coming weeks I will finish preparing my field note data and will use it to begin my analysis.

My data consists of audio interviews, photos and video footage of folk religious groups in China. I have written my fieldwork notes from 2007 to 2010 in one long OpenOffice .odf document.

Most of the interviews have been transcribed into text (Chinese language) and I was planning to:

a) insert the interviews into my field notes in the OpenOffice .odf document. The reason for doing this is to keep each day's personal observations/notes together with the interviews that took place on each day.

B) insert photos of particular events into the OpenOffice .odf document.

Is this a good idea? Is there a better way of doing this?

I want to be able to have a clear chronological understanding of my data.

Should I use one long document? Or should I divide it up by years? And should I keep the interview transcripts separate from my field notes?

Finally, how can I associate video material with the text?

Thank you for any advice you can provide!

I'm surprised there are no replies :) I would have thought MANY people ask such questions... I will hope that someone will reply soon :)

• Like 1

coolrat33    0
I'm surprised there are no replies :) I would have thought MANY people ask such questions... I will hope that someone will reply soon :)

Waiting for some interesting replies and discussion

Hi, coolrat. Don´t hesitate. Here am I to the rescue :) (i´m kidding obviously).

First of all just excuse me if I´m not clear, because spanish is my native language.

I don´t think having only one big document is a good strategy. It would be slow to work and very less practical. I suggest having each interview in a single document, each image being imported as a separate image file and field notes divided in several documents. Depending on the quantity of text you can make one field notebook per year, semester or month.

You can store the different sources in separate folders in Nvivo and link them using Nvivo tools.

Besides, you will have to save the OpenOffice document to M$ .doc format or to rtf format, or Nvivo won´t read it (they have an agreement with M$ <_< )

Regarding to the way to associate the video with the text, if you mean the video transcription, you have a special window to do it. It looks like a table where the rows represent video segments of some specified length and are associated with the film. In that transcription you can insert links to other texts in your project. I cannot give detailed help with video transcripts because I never used them. I use to work with text documents and audio transcriptions. Not with the audio file directly.

Regarding the chronological order of your field notes, you can use the document attributes to assign dates to each one of them. It will let you use this attribute to search, order and classiffy the field notes.

I hope this helps a little. Good luck!

Pablo

Pat Bazeley    3

Another way of associating images and video clips with text data, if you don't want to analyse them but just to be able to access them, is to create a hyperlink from the text document to the external file holding the image or video.

Pat