Dear ...

I have almost finished coding my interviews, and am now working on my journals. The journals I had done in word, in table format, with a column for date, a column for observations/notes/impressions and a third column for interpretations/follow up. When I try to code different portions of one section of one column, it seems not to be allowed, as the coding stripes seem to apply to the entire section, rather than to just one portion of it. Help?

Hello,

Although the coding stripe displays for the whole cell, if you right-click on the stripe and choose highlight coding, only the coded text will be highlighted. If you open the node, you will find that the surrounding cell context is shown (slightly lighter font) but the coded text is a stronger font. So it might seem like the whole cell is coded because of showing the surrounding context, but rest assured, it is only what you have selected to code at a node or nodes. The only workaround is to convert your table to text - this won't lose the coding but you might prefer the display. Try it and if you don't like this ;) hit the Undo button quickly.

Hope that helps.

Sue

Hello,

Although the coding stripe displays for the whole cell, if you right-click on the stripe and choose highlight coding, only the coded text will be highlighted. If you open the node, you will find that the surrounding cell context is shown (slightly lighter font) but the coded text is a stronger font. So it might seem like the whole cell is coded because of showing the surrounding context, but rest assured, it is only what you have selected to code at a node or nodes. The only workaround is to convert your table to text - this won't lose the coding but you might prefer the display. Try it and if you don't like this ;) hit the Undo button quickly.

Hope that helps.

Sue

Thanks!