ofabro

What is coded

Hi there,

It would be good if we could have the option to list which nodes are coded in a particular selection of text. For example: I select three words from a source, right-click and in an info windows Nvivo tells me which nodes are already associated to that selection.

fabrolino

• Like 1

A potential work-around is to open a Source file, then go to "View" from the main menu. Select "Coding Stripes" and "Coding density only". This will turn on one stripe, which will display a darker black next to passages that have more coding applied to them and a ligher white with passages that have little coding). If you over over one of those dark patches in the coding density stripe, it will provide a list of the codes in that area of text.

Cheers.

Hi there,

I do not use coding stripes that often because they are system consuming. What I do use however is the highlighting facility.

What I would like to do is to click in a passage and an info box let me know in which nodes that passage is coded. that way I can easily check/un-check any mistakes I have done. What I am doing know is that I have to activate the coding stripes, look what is coded there and then hunt the node I want to uncheck. And if there is more than one coding per line, the coding stripes results are ambiguous because they refer to multiple passages.

fabrolino

I have exactly the same need. Also, I do not know if it only happens to me, when I enable the stripes, it took time for it to be enabled, and once it is enabled, it makes coding extremely low. For each piece of text I try to code, it takes about 20-25 seconds to finish coding. So right click and shows the code of the selected text would be greatly helpful!

One idea our product development team has been discussing to address this need is:

1. Provide a Highlighting mode where passages of coded content are shaded lightly or heavily depending on how many nodes code the passage

2. When you hover the mouse over a shaded passage, the nodes coding that passage are listed in a bubble of text

Would this be useful to you?

Regards,

• Like 1

Coming back to this topic in two years. Yes, I would love that function. Using the coding strips make the computer run really slow.

Coming back again to this topic.  I like the text highlighting.  However, the two functions mentioned in Marcus's post would be really valuable.   In particular, as someone running a team project, it would be really helpful for me to be able to go through files and see which nodes the individual highlights have been coded at.

I'm also struggling with this issue. I import survey responses which can create hundreds of cases. Is there a way to create a query to identify which cases have not been coded?