TamaraS

How do I generate a report to show nodes by case?

Hi Tamara,

I am assuming that you are using NVivo 8.

You can run a Matrix Coding Query to get the intersections of your free nodes and cases. Run a new Matrix coding query and select your 19 cases as your rows and the 300 free nodes as you columns.

This will give you intersections of those free nodes and cases. You can right click in the query results and change the Matrix cell content to 'Sources Coded', 'Words Coded', 'References' etc.

To export the query results follow the below steps:

1. Save the query results as a new matrix using the 'Query Options' tab in the Matrix Coding query options dialog box.
2. Copy the matrix
3. In the nodes folder, choose ‘Paste’
4. A dialogue box will ask 'Paste as Node'
5. Once you click ‘Yes’, the matrix is pasted as a new hierarchical node:
• Root: Name of the matrix
• Parent level : Each row item
• Child level: Each cell within the row.

You can then export these nodes by right clicking on the node and selecting 'Export' -> 'Export Tree Node'

I hope this helps.

If you require any further asssistance regarding this query, please contact us directly via our support form

Regards,
Mohammad Shakeb

Hi Tamara,

I am assuming that you are using NVivo 8.

You can run a Matrix Coding Query to get the intersections of your free nodes and cases. Run a new Matrix coding query and select your 19 cases as your rows and the 300 free nodes as you columns.

This will give you intersections of those free nodes and cases. You can right click in the query results and change the Matrix cell content to 'Sources Coded', 'Words Coded', 'References' etc.

To export the query results follow the below steps:

1. Save the query results as a new matrix using the 'Query Options' tab in the Matrix Coding query options dialog box.
2. Copy the matrix
3. In the nodes folder, choose ‘Paste’
4. A dialogue box will ask 'Paste as Node'
5. Once you click ‘Yes’, the matrix is pasted as a new hierarchical node:
• Root: Name of the matrix
• Parent level : Each row item
• Child level: Each cell within the row.

You can then export these nodes by right clicking on the node and selecting 'Export' -> 'Export Tree Node'

I hope this helps.

If you require any further asssistance regarding this query, please contact us directly via our support form

Regards,
Mohammad Shakeb

I'm working in NVivo 9....

NVivo 9 doesn't have case nodes (or cases) like NVivo 8. When you say you have 19 cases, can you please explain what you are referring to by cases here ?
If they are just nodes that have been coded to the source documents, you can select those nodes as your rows for your Matrix Coding Query.

The instructions provided in my previous post apply to NVivo 9 as well.

If this isn't what you are after, Please contact us directly via email at our support form

Regards,

Mohammad Shakeb

NVivo 9 doesn't have case nodes (or cases) like NVivo 8. When you say you have 19 cases, can you please explain what you are referring to by cases here ?
If they are just nodes that have been coded to the source documents, you can select those nodes as your rows for your Matrix Coding Query.

The instructions provided in my previous post apply to NVivo 9 as well.

If this isn't what you are after, Please contact us directly via our support form

Regards,

Mohammad Shakeb

In NVivo 9, I made the 19 cases (case nodes) from my source documents. In the Nodes section, I have three folders: Cases, Free Nodes, and Tree Nodes.

Hi Tamara,

Here are some steps that I think will help you achieve what you are after. You can create a report to show nodes by 'case' node in NVivo 9 using the Report Wizard.

1. Choose the Node view and click Next.
  2. Add Node.Name and Intersecting Node.Name into the Selected fields list and click Next.
  3. Click Add, specify the following filters (Node.Classification.Name Equal to Case) (Intersecting Node.Name In <select a node folder or specific nodes>) , and then click Next
  4. To group the report by case, move Node.Name into the Selected fields list.
  5. (Optional) If you want to count the number of free nodes linked to each case, Click the Group Options button and, for Intersecting Node.Name, select Count records and click OK.
  6. The next two steps of the wizard relate to the layout and look of your report, click Next to accept the defaults.
  7. On the last step give your report a name and title and click Finish.

I hope this helps.

Rose Craig

Technical Writer

QSR International

Hi Tamara,

Here are some steps that I think will help you achieve what you are after. You can create a report to show nodes by 'case' node in NVivo 9 using the Report Wizard.

1. Choose the Node view and click Next.
  2. Add Node.Name and Intersecting Node.Name into the Selected fields list and click Next.
  3. Click Add, specify the following filters (Node.Classification.Name Equal to Case) (Intersecting Node.Name In <select a node folder or specific nodes>) , and then click Next
  4. To group the report by case, move Node.Name into the Selected fields list.
  5. (Optional) If you want to count the number of free nodes linked to each case, Click the Group Options button and, for Intersecting Node.Name, select Count records and click OK.
  6. The next two steps of the wizard relate to the layout and look of your report, click Next to accept the defaults.
  7. On the last step give your report a name and title and click Finish.

I hope this helps.

Rose Craig

Technical Writer

QSR International

Hello, Rose:

Thank you for these instructions. These steps helped to generate a useful report. The report generated more than 100 pages, I believe in part because I had so many free nodes (I'm reducing/collapsing them), or possibly the formatting of the pages. If you have any tips on how to collapse the pages, that would be helpful.

Thanks.

Hello, Rose:

Thank you for these instructions. These steps helped to generate a useful report. The report generated more than 100 pages, I believe in part because I had so many free nodes (I'm reducing/collapsing them), or possibly the formatting of the pages. If you have any tips on how to collapse the pages, that would be helpful.

Thanks.

Hi Tamara, I'm glad you were able to use the instructions to generate a useful report. I have a few suggestions if you want to reduce the number of pages of the report. I'm guessing that you want to display all 300 nodes, otherwise I would have suggested filtering to weed out any nodes you don't want to include in the report.

You could try selecting a different layout in the Wizard. For example, if you have included grouping in your report, you might find that the 'Block' layout takes up less space than the 'Stepped' layout.

NVivo 9 allows you to export report results for use in other applications. So, you could export your results into Microsoft Word and then change the formatting in Word. For example, I was able to change the row height of the resulting table in Word to reduce a 75 page report to 37 pages.

Regards, Rose