Can I Customize Keyboard Shortcuts in NVivo 9?

I see that the Tools>Customize dialog box that was present in Nvivo 8 was removed from version 9. Is there another way to customize keyboard shortcuts in Nvivo 9? I can't imagine why such a feature would be removed, since keyboard shortcuts really make a difference for many operations, including working with media files. Does anyone know how to do this in NVivo 9?

Hello jacobrhickman,

Thank you for your post.

NVivo 9 now uses the new Ribbon interface which has replaced the menus and toolbars that were used in NVivo 8. Unfortunately, the feature to customize keyboard shortcuts is not available with the use of the new Ribbon interface.

However, you can still use keyboard shortcuts in NVivo 9 through a set of pre-defined commands. For a full list of keyboard shortcuts that are available in NVivo 9 for the most used commands, go to the Help topic 'The NVivo workspace > Keyboard shortcuts' or alternatively, simply search for the terms 'keyboard shortcuts' in the Help.

You can also view the keyboard shortcuts by using your mouse to hover over a command on the Ribbon to see its tool tip. Another way is to press and release the 'Alt' key to display the KeyTips over each Ribbon tab, and then press the letter shown in the KeyTip over the tab you want to use. More information is available in the Help, under the topic 'Accessibility'.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Dalia Hermes

I see that the Tools>Customize dialog box that was present in Nvivo 8 was removed from version 9. Is there another way to customize keyboard shortcuts in Nvivo 9? I can't imagine why such a feature would be removed, since keyboard shortcuts really make a difference for many operations, including working with media files. Does anyone know how to do this in NVivo 9?

Hello -

I've had some success using AutoHotKey to trick Windows into using the hotkeys I'm used to. I think it's just a utility to map any key combination you want onto any other key combination. So you could set Cntl+F1 to act like Cntl+F9, or whatever. It seems like kind of a bulky solution, but I didn't want to learn new shortcuts.

• 1 month later...

From QSR's spiel on what's new:

"Enjoy enhanced usability

NVivo 9‟s interface now includes a ribbon to help you

quickly find frequently used commands so tasks can

be completed with fewer steps."

So in attempting to enhance usability, they've added the often hated clutter causing ribbon interface and removed customisable shortcuts - one of the key features that actually enhances workflow. As consumers, people should not be paying more to receive less.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

I'm really sad to see that IT IS NOT POSSIBLE to customize keyboard shortcuts... Working with keyboards instead of working with menu and mouse is an important thing for me... I understand that it is a big problem in upgrading to NVivo 9. I really don't understand how come this feature was removed...

• 1 year later...