KMcLilli

Node structure and relevant coded text

KMcLilli    1

I am pretty sure the questions I have are simple, but I can not find a simple solution to them. Below are my questions:

1) I have not found a way in NVivo 9 to make in a document (.doc, .xls., .pdf, .etc) my node structure (showing the hierarchy) and have the properties of those nodes also contained in this document.

2) I would like a document that is broken down by each node that shows the text that has been coded under that node. For example, what it looks like when you double click on a node when you are in the program and it shows you all the pieces of coded text.

I have found ways to do the two things by printing but not making documents. I have played a lot with the different reports and tried to make my own reports, but none of that works. Also when I print my second question I have to go one-by-one on each of my nodes and it takes forever to do.

I am hoping there is a way to do what I am asking.

Thanks.

marcusogden    20

Hi and thanks for your enquiry.

1) I assume you're printing this information by printing the List View of your nodes? If so, you can also export the List View to a file by right-clicking in the List View (or selecting the External Data tab in the ribbon) and choosing Export > Export List.

Also, you say you've been trying to create Reports and "none of that works". Could you explain what you tried to do?

2) You can print or export multiple nodes in one go by selecting these nodes in your List View, right-clicking, and selecting Print > Print Nodes or Export > Export Nodes. (N.B. You can only select nodes at the same level of the hierarchy in this view... if you want to select all nodes, you can go to the "All Nodes" Search Folder under "Collections" in the Navigation View.)

This will allow you to print your nodes, or export them to one file per node. (N.B. The ability to generate a single file containing the contents of multiple nodes isn't currently available in NVivo 9, but it's a request we've had from a few people, and we're looking at options for providing a solution to this in an upcoming release.)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Laurajd    0

We are very interested in this capability as well: being able to export or print content organized by node for multiple nodes at a time. Way back (even in Versions 2 and/or 7), we used to be able to export to Word but now the only options look like doing one file at a time in HTML or printing. Having multiple nodes exported into separate files is not very helpful. Your last option of selecting all nodes from the Collections/search folder only allows printing/exporting of this list itself and not coded content. Am I missing something? I am very interested in being able to produce reports with coded content organized by multiple nodes (at different levels) in a single report or output.

marcusogden    20

we used to be able to export to Word but now the only options look like doing one file at a time in HTML or printing.

You can export nodes to Word in NVivo 9 (albeit to one file per node). Select the nodes in the list view, choose Export > Export Node from the context menu, and in the Export Options dialog, select 'Reference View' from the Export picklist.

Your last option of selecting all nodes from the Collections/search folder only allows printing/exporting of this list itself and not coded content. Am I missing something?

Again, you need to run Export Nodes here, not Export List.

KMcLilli and Laurajd, could I ask you a few questions to help us improve this area of NVivo?

1. If you were able to export the content of multiple nodes to a single Word file, what would you use this for – i.e how would having all this data in one file help you do your research?

2. For each node you want to export, would you want all of the node’s coded content, or would you want the node’s coded content for specific sources?

3. Do you use audio, video or picture sources in your NVivo project? If so, what would you expect the exported file to include regarding coded content of these sources?

• Like 1

KMcLilli    1

You can export nodes to Word in NVivo 9 (albeit to one file per node). Select the nodes in the list view, choose Export > Export Node from the context menu, and in the Export Options dialog, select 'Reference View' from the Export picklist.

Again, you need to run Export Nodes here, not Export List.

KMcLilli and Laurajd, could I ask you a few questions to help us improve this area of NVivo?

1. If you were able to export the content of multiple nodes to a single Word file, what would you use this for – i.e how would having all this data in one file help you do your research?

2. For each node you want to export, would you want all of the node’s coded content, or would you want the node’s coded content for specific sources?

3. Do you use audio, video or picture sources in your NVivo project? If so, what would you expect the exported file to include regarding coded content of these sources?

Thank you for assistance it was very helpful! Per your questions on how to improve this area of NVivo here are my responses in order of your questions:

1: All the projects I work on are team projects. Typically a couple people on the team have the role of coder. This team meets on a weekly basis and during these meetings we all look over the code. We look over the code for analysis, but also for the rest of the team members to have a better idea of what is being coded. The non-coders check the coded data for consistency and that everything makes sense (i.e. the node structure, definitions of nodes, nodes need to merged or divided, etc.). Sometimes, not all team members have NVivo so being able to export everything to a word document is how we share data. We also do not meet around a computer so we use paper documents to provide examples for the team. Also, some of the research team members still prefer doing somethings by hand and they feel they can visualize the data better by seeing it all in a print out and making changes on the print out before the coders make the changes to the node structure.

2: For each node we would like to export, it would be nice to have the ability to customize it to what we need at that time. During some phases of our analysis we look at the definitions of the nodes and does it make sense for the text that is coded within that node. Other times we are just looking at the coded text. Being able to select items such as node name, node definition, node hierarchy, coder initials, coding strips next to the data (not having to print two pages onto to one page to do this), coded text, maybe even memo notes or annotations that have been attached to the node or the text would be some of the options I would find useful.

3: Sorry. I can not help much with this question. Currently we do record all of the interviews but we have a professional transcriptionist that puts everything into word and we upload from there. We do have pictures but we have never coded them. If I was to code audio, photos, video I would want my codes from these sources to all populate the same node structure. There could be a visual cue that would show where the sources are coming from, maybe even a count that broke it down by source. So, in the printout if an audio file has been transcribed inside NVivo it would be great to have that coded text shown in the print out. If it was an audio file that was not transcribed in NVivo having the what audio file it is and the time where the piece of audio file was recorded would be helpful. For pictures and videos, have a reference of the picture would act as a visual reminder.

I hope my comments help. If you have additional comments please let me know.

Thanks.

• Like 1

pgardois    1

Hi, just wanted to check if there were any new developments on this topic. I have the same problem already pointed out by other users in this thread: I need to share a coded document with my phd supervisors who do not use nVivo, and went into lots of troubles.

Firstly, I tried to print a PDF copy of the document with the coding stripes for all codes, but the result was absolutely impossible to read. Then I tried to print out in a single file all the nodes and the relevant coded text for each node, but it was possible to do so only after searching for all nodes in a given location in the nodes tree, and even then I ended up with 60 different files which I then merged using an external application - I was advised to use the export option "Coded Text and Content Range" but wasn't able to find it (is it still available?). A further export then allowed to share the node structure as well.

Having said that, I perfectly understand that for a single researcher, or indeed a group of researchers, who are proficiently using nVivo, the ability to export coded documents is not a priority. However, sharing your insights with colleagues and supervisors requires quick and easy-to-use export tools, which I hope will be very soon implemented - also because they seem to me absolutely simple to create. Thanks for the attention.

• Like 1

marcusogden    20

Hi Paolo,

I was advised to use the export option "Coded Text and Content Range" but wasn't able to find it (is it still available?)

This is an option when running a Coding Summary Report in NVivo 8 (Tools > Coding Summary). This option is not available in NVivo 9.

However, sharing your insights with colleagues and supervisors requires quick and easy-to-use export tools, which I hope will be very soon implemented - also because they seem to me absolutely simple to create. Thanks for the attention.

We're currently looking at our options for addressing this in an upcoming release. I'll post some proposals on this thread for comment later this month.

Thanks and regards,

• Like 1

pgardois    1

Hi Marcus,

thanks for your quick reply. I'll look forward to your request for comments then, and I'll be very glad to contribute with any suggestions and proposals.

Best wishes.

Paolo

sdspieg    0

Could I inquire about the logic of excluding an important (for us one of the MOST important) functionalities out of Nvivo? We have just spent a few weeks coding a number of texts in Nvivo 9, and so now we can NEITHER downsave them to Nvivo 8 (or can we?) NOR generate the report we need.

-Stephan

marcusogden    20

Hi Stephan,

Could I inquire about the logic of excluding an important (for us one of the MOST important) functionalities out of Nvivo? We have just spent a few weeks coding a number of texts in Nvivo 9, and so now we can NEITHER downsave them to Nvivo 8 (or can we?) NOR generate the report we need.

-Stephan

The reports system was redesigned in NVivo 9 to provide customisable reporting of quantitative information about projects. The Export Node (Reference view) feature is available in NVivo 9 for exporting coding reference data.

Regards,

CWD    0

Hi,

Not sure if I've completely understood what people are after, but I exported the coded references into multiple word documents as described above. I then used the Insert: Object: Text from file option in word. You can select multiple word documents to import at once, so it quickly puts it all in one word document.

denisadl    0

Hi,

Not sure if I've completely understood what people are after, but I exported the coded references into multiple word documents as described above. I then used the Insert: Object: Text from file option in word. You can select multiple word documents to import at once, so it quickly puts it all in one word document.

I did that too. But the problem is the coded references from each node has to be exported separately. What I think we all need is to be able to export the code reference from multiple nodes in one go so that we can examine what have been coded in a particular, say a Participant or a case.

sdspieg    0

SO you STILL haven't fixed this? I know lots of customers who need the EXACT same functionality (exporting ALL code references from ALL nodes into ONE file). Again - this is probably THE main reason why we use Nvivo - our analysts (in various locations) code, some seniors then look at it and they want a report (exactly like what you had in Nvivo 8). You said you'd post soon - it's two months later now. What gives?

-Stephan

MJ Drennan    0

@Marcus

I want to be able to do this too! I would like to look at my content with the codes as the secondary pieces of data, rather than the codes with scraps of the content as secondary. That way, I could have a better feel for the flow and shape of my findings. (This makes sense in my own head, at least.) I use strictly text. I'm picturing something like a Word doc in marked up edited mode.

marcusogden    20

Hi all,

I'm pleased to advise that NVivo 10 (to be released later this month) will include new "Coding Summary by Node" and "Coding Summary by Source" reports, which will include the coded text (organised either by node then source, or vice versa). You can choose which nodes and/or sources to include in the report, and you can save the results to a range of file formats.

@MJ Drennan - What you're asking for ("content with the codes as the secondary pieces of data") is somewhat different to what's being discussed in this thread, but it's also been requested before. One possibility you could consider (depending on the number of nodes involved) is to print with Coding Stripes turned on. We are looking into other ways we could better meet this need.

Regards,

• Like 2

Jason Flett    11

Hi all

In response to the previous query that you have raised with us, we have now included two new reports/extracts in NVivo 10. Coding Summary by Source, and Coding Summary by Node, which include the text of the coding reference.

For information on purchasing or upgrading to NVivo 10, or to download a free trial, go to http://www.qsrinternational.com/products_nvivo.aspx

Regards

Jason

• Like 2

Jake    0

This is exactly what I was looking to do - thank you. However problem is my University is still only using NVivo 9 - not sure when they will upgrade. Is there any way I can do this from within NVivo 9?

Jake

QSRSupport    76

Hi Jake,

Just recapping what has been discussed in this forum thread

There is a pre-defined Coding Summary report in NVivo 9 which lists the Sources and the Nodes that code each Source. However, this report does not include the coding references of the Nodes.

As a workaround, you can Export the Node(s) in Reference View. The exported file(s) shows the Node’s coding references grouped by Source.

Please refer to the link below for detailed information on how to Export a Node with coding references.

http://help-nv9-en.q...iniTOCBookMark4

To Export multiple Nodes simultaneously, hold down the Ctrl key and highlight each Node you want to Export. A separate file, titled <Node name>.doc, will be generated for each Node in the folder where you have exported the Node(s).

If you have exported your Nodes into Microsoft Word documents or Rich Text Files, you can choose to combine them into a single document using Microsoft Word. The actions required to perform this task will vary depending on the version of Word you are using. Below is a general guide for the steps you need to take:

1. Open one of your exported documents or files in Microsoft Word
  2. Choose to Insert a File, or Insert > Text from File
  3. Select the documents or files you want to insert
  4. Click Insert

Refer to Microsoft Office Online Help for more details.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

David Tran

Hi,

@ Marcus, about the following questions:

As anthropologists, a large part of our data are on our field books. I'm trying to figure out how to include these handwritted notes in NVivo.

One of the options is to use pdf. In particular, this become particularily convienient when using Livescribe, which produces pdfs of our handwritted notes (http://www.livescribe.com).

We can then code the pdf the same way we code the transcribed interviews, ...

The problem now is that we would like to see the coded part of the pdf along with the coded texts, coded to a specific node.

In the same way, when producing a report, we need also to be able to print the coded parts of the pdfs, not only the reference to them.

In addition, it will be better, when opening a node, to have only coded part of the pdf appearing instead of the whole page with the coded part highlighted.

I just checked in NVivo 10 and pdf seems handled quite similarly than in NVivo 9, at least for our specific needs.

Can you help on that issue?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Véronique