I've read through some previous posts in which users were asking about using a foot pedal with Nvivo's transcription tool. The answers from QSR staff are fairly elusive and do not give a clear response. Can you please tell me exactly:

- Can I use a foot pedal in Nvivo to transcribe?

- The step by step procedure to connect my foot pedal with the software.

I have found that the sound quality of my recordings is better in Nvivo and would prefer to transcribe inside my project.

Thank you.

Hi Seanna,

To answer your questions, Yes, you can use a foot pedal in NVivo to transcribe your media files. However, in order to get the foot pedal to this point you will need to first install the foot pedal correctly and then configure it to use the shortcut key strokes in NVivo ( F7 "Start", F8 "Stop", F9 "Skip Back"). This will require the software CD that comes with the your foot pedal.

In terms of the step by step instructions to get this working, you will need to speak with your I.T department for further assistance.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

David Tran

Hi David,

Thank you for your response.

For anyone else trying to understand how to set this up, I have some additional suggestions.

- download and use the 'pedalware' freeware. the software that came with my pedal was very limited in the way i could assign tasks to each pedal. this allows for more functionality.

- in assigning keystrokes for each of the pedals, the pedalware software wouldn't allow me to enter the function keys. so what i did was i changed the shortcut keystrokes in nvivo to something the pedalware software would let me type in.

- you can change the nvivo software shortcuts by going to tools>customize>keyboard then select the media menu in the categories. now you can change the commands

- i selected crtl+shift+0 for play, crtl+shift+1 for rewind and crtl+shift+2 for fast forward in nvivo

- then i changed these commands in the pedalware software to correspond.

* also, if you are trying to get the pedalware software to recognize your pedal - in options>foot pedal options> pedal type - select VEC pedals (usb). this is going to apply to most people unless you are using an old pedal with a different connection port.

Hi Seanna,

To answer your questions, Yes, you can use a foot pedal in NVivo to transcribe your media files. However, in order to get the foot pedal to this point you will need to first install the foot pedal correctly and then configure it to use the shortcut key strokes in NVivo ( F7 "Start", F8 "Stop", F9 "Skip Back"). This will require the software CD that comes with the your foot pedal.

In terms of the step by step instructions to get this working, you will need to speak with your I.T department for further assistance.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

David Tran

• 9 years later...