Sign in to follow this  
susans

Multiple classifications of interviews

I am doing a longitudinal study where i am interviewing individuals at several points in time. The interviews are assigned to a particular case, whose attributes define that case so that I can query the resulting codes based upon various attributes that define that person. However, I also want to be able to compare coding for a specific case (attribute) at different points in time. I am trying to figure out how to set this up in NVIVO. Since the case if defined for a specific person, how can I account for differences in that person's nodes over time? I was thinking of using sets, one for all responses in year 1 and one for all responses in year 2. However, it does not appear that I can do a comparison query, as I am now comparing nodes on 2 dimensions, both time and attribute dimension (or case). Would anyone have some suggestions how to organize this?

Susans

At every time you import in NVivo an interview realized with Robert, you immediately create a node, a “case” node that codes that entire source content. So, for example, you will get 3 interviews (sources) with Robert and also create three nodes for each interview (Robert1, Robert2, Robert3).

In your “cases” folder, you could create a new node named Robert. In the properties of this new (empty) node, you could select “aggregate”. You drag all Robert’s nodes (Robert1, and 2…) under this new node. You know have one node about your case (Robert) and three or four children case nodes for each interview with Robert.

The new node Robert aggregates all the children nodes content. All what Robert has said is saved in this “master node” (for every meeting). You are now able to create attributes and select values for information will never change with Robert (sex, age, etc.).

In child nodes (Robert1, Robert2…) you only have to create and complete attributes which are specific to this particular interview (Interview number = 2 ; feeling about the program two months after the beginning = agree, etc.).

Is my English understandable on this warm Saturday night ???

I hope this can help you.

Didier.

Susans

At every time you import in NVivo an interview realized with Robert, you immediately create a node, a "case" node that codes that entire source content. So, for example, you will get 3 interviews (sources) with Robert and also create three nodes for each interview (Robert1, Robert2, Robert3).

In your "cases" folder, you could create a new node named Robert. In the properties of this new (empty) node, you could select "aggregate". You drag all Robert's nodes (Robert1, and 2…) under this new node. You know have one node about your case (Robert) and three or four children case nodes for each interview with Robert.

The new node Robert aggregates all the children nodes content. All what Robert has said is saved in this "master node" (for every meeting). You are now able to create attributes and select values for information will never change with Robert (sex, age, etc.).

In child nodes (Robert1, Robert2…) you only have to create and complete attributes which are specific to this particular interview (Interview number = 2 ; feeling about the program two months after the beginning = agree, etc.).

Is my English understandable on this warm Saturday night ???

I hope this can help you.

Didier.

Yes, this is very understandable. Thank you.