Sign in to follow this  
austinb

Fix problem that causes corrupt files!

When NVivo isn't shut down properly, there is some file path that gets corrupt and project files can no longer be opened (they are "corrupt"). Generally, I am able to go through the "exit" preocedure. Sometimes, however, it can't be helped and NVivo will be shut down improperly.

I have spent MANY, MANY, HOURS and MANY, MANY, DAYS trying to recover my work NUMEROUS times over the past year and a half with NVivo. I have tried switching from XP to Windows 7, uninstalled and reinstalled, worked with the help desk, installed trial versions of the software on other computers hoping to open my corrupt file on another machine, and the problem continues. Here I sit frustrated again, yet another weekend which was to be dedicated to coding my data using NVivo, waiting for Monday morning Australia time so that I can get my data recovered.

THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED!!!!!!!

For a long time I wish that qsr make a more stable, lighter, more practical in terms of usal practice of research (efficiency, flexibility, speed). I lose a lot of hours because nvivo often freezes. But I had only once a corrupted file: am I lucky?

I am not sure if the latest update to NVivo solved this problem or if it was solved by switching to a SSD drive. In any case, NVivo has gotten MUCH more stable for me. It still occasionally crashes when I ask it to carry out something very complex, but even when it does I no longer get the "corrupt file" problem. This is a huge relief!