mjhill02

Best platform for large data sets?

For those of you running large data sets, what in your experience is the best platform for running NVIVO9? I am trying to analyze 100 transcribed interviews (12-15 pages in length in MSW), and another 3,000 MSW documents from annual reports (that run on average of 15 pages). I've tried analyzing the interviews on a Macbook Pro with VMWare fusion, and on an MS Enterprise Server using a remote desktop connection, and have found the performance to be slow in both configurations (even after setting the project size to large). If you've had success running large data sets, I would be curious to know what operating system and configuration have worked for you.

Thanks in advance!

Just a comment on my own post: I found that connecting to the MS Enterprise server running NVIVO 9 with a Windows based machine improved performance considerably. There seems to be better compatibility between Windows machines when connecting to a server through a VPN.

Hi mjhill02,

We don't have any recommendation for which platform you should be using. Just as long as the machine you’re using meets the recommended system requirements or exceeds it.

Please refer to the FAQ link below for the system requirements:

http://www.qsrintern...l.aspx?view=724

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

I worked for years with nvivo. My greatest disappointment is the slowness of the software (I've complained many times here). If you have a dataset of a some size, each operation takes several seconds. This does not seem serious, but when you repeat some coding operations 1000 times, it ended up taking time. The problem actually started with version 8. I went from version 8 to version 9, because the advertising said it would improve the speed. But in fact, the improvement may be 20%, which solves nothing since, for example, from 10 seconds to 8 seconds, it is still 8 times too long! Now we are told that version 10 is faster. But what is it really? is there people working with "normal" corpus of qualitative research (eg, 50 interviews is 1000 pages)?

Hi alexquse,

If you have a dataset of a some size, each operation takes several seconds.

If you're working with Dataset (spreadsheet) sources in NVivo, there are a number of specific performance improvements in NVivo 10. You'll notice that working and scrolling in the Dataset view is faster (due to fewer rows being kept in memory at once), as well as speed improvements in classifying and autocoding Datasets, opening nodes that code Datasets, and running coding queries where Datasets are in the scope.

Or if by "dataset" you're referring to your project data as a whole, you'll also notice performance improvements in NVivo 10 - of the order of 30% faster than NVivo 9 across a range of key scenarios.

Feel free to download a free trial of NVivo 10 from http://www.qsrintern...l-software.aspx and try it out.

Regards,

Just curious - has the ability to edit datasets been added to NVivo 10? That is a critical missing feature for me with NVivo9.

Hi shiphra. No, datasets are not editable in NVivo 10.

Regards,