dangvutrung

Complex font format

I wish that new Nvivo will support Unicode characters in all it's function. I am using Nvivo2 for Vietnamese text. Many features do not support Vietnamese character encoded in Unicode.

Hope that new version can fix that problem

The next release of QSR’s NVivo software is currently being developed and is planned to be completed by the end of 2005. It will be based on the Microsoft Windows operating system, and will deliver a huge range of features via an interface that is easy to learn and easy to use.

QSR will be using innovative and advanced technologies to deliver the widest range of functionality ever seen in qualitative research software. This will include full support of multi-language capabilities, including the ability to input and analyse data in Vietnamese.

Will the next version keep font changes (i.e. bolding) that is currently eliminated when exporting and printing documents?

Nivo's current exporting abilities are terrible. Converting node reports into usable files for printing or publishing does not work well, and exporting the attributes table is particularly frustrating. Say I want one or two tables in a published report, each with a selection from attributes tables and nodes; currently the only way to do this is to export to word, and physically cut out the superfluous and reformat the text style, line breaks etc.

However, I think the current biggest problem with nvivo is the inability to annotate text. While reading through and coding the text, one often finds something that is an excellent example of a theme, or may point to a bigger theme but not enough to develop one, I'd like to be able to add a 'sticky note' or footnote to that section of text. (as can be done in ATLAS.ti). Futher, the only way to make little notes for memory or for other researchers on the team is to make an entire memo, but often it's only one brief thought that you don't want to lose.

Hello Catherine,

What you are asking is already available in NVivo (it always has been right back to NVivo 1.0).

Any node or text report can be saved as a RTF file which will maintain any formatting.

An attribute table is exported as a tab delimited file which can be easily opened in any spreadsheet application (e.g. Excel) or even as a MS Word table if that is your preference.

And your biggest problem is solved by using annotations. Select a piece of text and create a databite to link to an annotation. Search for annotation via the NVivo online help on how to do this.

So there you go, all problems solved. ;)

Sue

Hi Sue,

Thanks for your quick reply.

To export tables, the only options I see are text (*.txt) or SPSS files (*.dat), which Excel does not recognize.

When I export tables, words in the titles are chopped off (yes, even after widening the columns), and the disaster it creates in the formatting takes forever to fix.

Thanks for the tip on the annotation feature; I didn't see it because you can't annotate nodes. Is there any way to print them along with the text? What about viewing all of the annotations of the project (say, if you can remember your note, but not where in the text it was placed).

The default save is as a text doc (*.txt), which doesn't keep formatting, and I didn't think to save it as something else!

Thanks,

Catherine

Hi all,

Just to let Forum readers know that I've responded to Catherine's latest question 'off-line' via the Helpdesk as the content is now moving towards using other software (e.g. Excel) rather than a "Suggestion" topic.

Happy weekend to all (a warmish Friday here in Australia).

Sue