I think it would be valuable to be able to "cluster" nodes. Essentially you would pair up one or more branches of tree nodes and then when you coded something at this "cluster" you would have to select sub-nodes from each branch. Below is an example to make it clearer.

Imagine that I have the following tree nodes:

Refers To

Refers To \ Student Work A

Refers To \ Student Work B

Adequacy

Adequacy \ Adequate Work

Adequacy \ Inadequate Work

And for methodological reasons I only code complete sentences. Then in one of my pieces of data someone says "Yeah student work A was pretty good, but student work B really needed more."

This would get coded with all four nodes, but that would be completely unhelpful. Instead I'd like to code it once at (Student Work A AND Adequate Work) and then again at (Student Work B AND Inadequate Work).

So the "cluster" would be that I could somehow "cluster" the "Refers To" nodes and the "Adequacy" nodes. Then when I coded something at this "cluster" I would have to select sub-nodes within each branch.

Currently, to get around this what I end up doing is creating "duplicate" sub-nodes, so my tree nodes actually end up looking like this:

Adequacy

Adequacy \ Adequate Work

Adequacy \ Adequate Work \ Student Work A

Adequacy \ Adequate Work \ Student Work B

Adequacy \ Inadequate Work

Adequacy \ Inadequate Work \ Student Work A

Adequacy \ Inadequate Work \ Student Work A

This often results in either very unclear nodes (for instance "Student Work A" means two different things above) or very long names for nodes (for instance, I call the sub-node "Adequate - Student Work A").

Hi there,

The idea you suggest is how you should code, that is, “code it once at (Student Work A AND Adequate Work) and then again at (Student Work B AND Inadequate Work)”. Otherwise as you say, you will have a node hierarchy that is difficult to manage.

You may not have experimented with coding queries yet, but a coding query where you include what is coded at Student Work A and Adequate Work will give you that result only.

There’s a very good topic on this forum under Working with projects: tips and techniques. See: Node Wrangling 101 - Build an efficient node hierarchy.

If you wanted to learn more about the coding query, check out Tutorial 8: Explore your coding here: http://www.qsrinternational.com/support_tutorials.aspx?productid=20.

Finally the NVivo online help will also provide you with the help you might need to get you started with playing with queries - http://help-nv9-en.q...out_queries.htm.

Hope that helps

Sue

• Like 1