cadu

Improving the functionality of the "find => go to" tool

Hi,

Maintaining the same structure the "find => go to" (crtl + G) tool already has, I suggest adding the option "node" to the list "go to what" (populated by "page" + "see also link" + "annotation"). Attached there is a picture illustrating this suggestion.

So, the tool would improve its functionality, providing handy way to navigate through all the nodes of a coded source. Besides, the user can continue with the work of coding the source ever he wants (it would provide similar great function other CAQDAS package has to navigate throughout a source).

It is really useful considering a source with 300 pages! The "highlight" and "coding stripes" tools are great, but they are linear (one need to navigate the source page by page). On the other hand, open the node is limited since the access is restrict to just the coded source content. And simpler, the user just want to explorer the nodes direct in the source, without the need of queries and so on.

Regards,

Cadu

Thanks Carlos. There are some features coming in NVivo 10 to help you navigate (within a source view) to the next/previous reference coded at a particular node.

Regards,

Hi Marcus,

I am trying NVivo10, but I couldn't find by myself any improvement in node navigation within a source view.

Could you give me a direction about that?

Thanks,

Cadu

Hi Cadu,

The new feature that has been added to assist in navigating sources in regards to nodes, is that you can turn on highlighting for a particular node and use the 'Next' and 'Previous' button to jumped between each reference.

To do this, open a source and click on the 'View' tab in the ribbon. Select 'Highlight' --> 'Coding for Selected Items...' and choose a node that has coding from this source. Now in the 'Reference' section of the 'View' tab, you can use the 'Next' and 'Previous' buttons to jump between each reference of the selected node.

This allows you to quickly navigate the source to find and review the content that is associated with a particular node of interest.

Cheers,

Brett