I would like to see the annoying content length limitation on annotations removed.

I would also like to be able to access (view) the content of ALL annotations in a project in a single output. At present this is only possible (to a limited degree) by generating a very generic text querry which takes a lot of time to run and can crash less powerful systems.

Hi Marcus.

I am interested in both the annotation and the content but I am not interested in having to locate each annotation/content pair within each individual document. As I read through documents I node code, map relations and I annotate ( I rarely use memos as they are far too disconnected from the content and require opening other docs as opposed to viewing in context). My second and third passes of content usually involve me going back to my annotations and developing nodes or models based on the ideas that appear within my annotations. I also use the annotations to identify particular themes in content (mostly literature) that I want to address/explore in my analyses. What I need is an easy way to retrieve all my annotations (with linking to associated content) so that I can facilitate these processes. At present this is not something that is easy to accomplish via N10.

be well,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Marcus.

Yes, at the moment I am using a very cumbersome text search query that either retrieves annotations that use a standard defining string such as [ANNOTATION] at the beginning of an annotation or specifying a series of wild cards that cover any word that could be used (e.g., a* OR b* OR c* OR d* OR etc) - to acquire a user-friendly contextual display of all the annotations in a single project. Even on avery powerful system this takes a lot of time and there is a high risk of crashing the program.

Chris

• 2 months later...

Hi Karma,

I've started using Nvivo for an inductive or grounded theory type of research. Up to now it has been great to use the coding and nodes to define the larger issues of the research. Yet for the next step I've started, it's going to be quite difficult to use:

We're working on refugee integration policies and have had semi-structured interviews with the beneficiairies. After having review the different interviews (around 20), we've located a number a subjects and issues that we grouped under different nodes. For example, housing is an important issue.

But the housing issue is composed by different elements: the housing market, discrimination, debt problems, urban vs rural etc... That only "appear" while going through the coded elements.

More over, some declarations or sentences may be linked to other elements such as health issues, job market or education access.

As such, it would be extremely useful to be able to detach the nodes from their sources (while keeping the content) and being able to annotate each issue as a standalone. At the moment, I'm annotating by using HO: for housing HE for health etc... and I have notes with different paragraphs HO: ... HE: ...

But my wish would be to have the issue HE with its contents, be able to annote the declarations and having only the notes pertaining to the issue node and not all the notes.

Another possibility would be to be able to create a Housing Issue Memo, and then having Nvivo move the selected phrases from the node (with the reference) to the memo and be able to comment.

This would allow the user to refine his or her thematic research while noting thoughts and links...

Maybe I've missed another way of doing this and would gladly hear you suggestions.

best,

David