chaug

Bulk assign speakers in an audio transcript?

chaug    0

Hi,

I have an audio file with a transcript table that I imported from an rtf document. The table includes the columns Timespan, Content, and Speaker. However, the speaker column is still empty and my aim is to find an easy way to fill it in since the speaker information is already included in the content column (indicated by the first two or three characters like F1, F2, M1, M2, ...)

First I thought I could solve this by autocoding, but I was thinking the wrong way around there because auto coding is of course only possible the other way around, i.e. I can assign a code to a transcript row based on what it says in the speaker column.

So now I am trying to select all rows for speaker M1 by simply filtering the content column to show only those rows that contain "M1". Having selected all relevant rows, I am now looking for a way to bulk assign the value M1 to the speaker column for all of those rows in one go.

How do I do that?

Or is there another way to achieve this?

Regards,

Christoph

QSRSupport    76

Hi Christoph,

I’m afraid there is no direct way of doing this within NVivo.

One option is to export this document out of NVivo and make the required changes. This updated document can then be imported back in NVivo.

Another option is to enter the speaker information manually within NVivo. You may consider using the Find text feature within NVivo to make this process easier.
The following help link has more information on Find text:
http://help-nv10-en....iniTOCBookMark2

Please contact QSR support by submitting the contact support form referring to this post if you require any further assistance with this.

Regards,
Faraaz

chaug    0

Is this still not possible four years later in NVivo 11? Isn't it a very common need amongst users to import not only timestamps but also speaker names?

I have wasted a lot of time trying to transform the transcript into a format that NVivo would read correctly, but it just won't work.

If it can't be done during import, could you at least make it easier to add the speakers later. The find function doesn't really help much if I still have to manually insert the name into every row, but it should be no more than a few lines of code to automate this. It is already possible to filter displayed rows based on cell content, so I can easily hide all rows except those from speaker X. If I could now populate the speaker column for all visible rows, that would make things a lot easier.

Regards,

Christoph

QSRSupport    76

Hi Christoph,

Speaker names can be added at import time provided that the transcript is formatted accordingly. http://help-nv11.qsrinternational.com/desktop/procedures/import_audio_or_video_transcripts.htm

Please see my attached screenshot which shows both an example transcript containing speakers, and the view you will see when you import it into NVivo.

At this time there is still not bulk way to modify the speakers from inside NVivo, but setting additional custom columns from inside NVivo is possible, which is what my colleague was referring to in his previous reply when he says: One option is to export this document out of NVivo and make the required changes. This updated document can then be imported back in NVivo.

Cheers, Tane

Screen Shot 2016-11-08 at 4.01.00 pm.png