esaraiva

Cluster Analysis example

As a Trainer, I feel difficult to demonstrate a practical example of cluster analysis. Could you form support create some example of using and reading the output of a cluster analysis. The creation process is quite simple but the interpretation fo results is not that easy. If you do so, make it for the three different kinds of criteria (words similarity, coding similarity and attribute values similarity).

Regards,

Ernani

• Like 1

Ernani,

An example I often use in workshops is to compare a cluster analysis of a set of interviews by word similarity to one by coding similiarity. Comparing the results, some items will shift (a few of those that had been very similar in word content, may be quite different in coding). In an analysis, this would raise the question - why has this occurred? Double clicking an item in the cluster display will cause it to open with coding stripes displayed for 'Nodes Most Coding.' Opening two items that have discrepant 'similarities' will then allow you to examine the text content and your coding to look for an explanation. Did my coding vary? What is it that's making these two interviews so similar in content but so different in coding?

Hope that helps as a way to begin exploring.

• Like 1

Well Cynthia,

Aparently, this exploration makes sense, although I tried to do that with the interviews of the sample Environmental Change Down East. I noticed a difference between the diagrams, but, sincerely, I looked at intervies and was not able to understand why the clusters were so discrepant. Perhaps is you demonstrate this possibility and how you create the interpretation, I could understand better. I thought about creating a cluster analysis about the survey respondents (Nodes folder, Places and People subfolder; subnodes of Survey Respondents node). I choose th esimilarity by atributes. However, as I donĀ“t have a clue about which atributes were determinants to create the clusters, it is very hard to explain tle created clusters.

Regards,