Managing text coded at multiple nodes

Hi folks,

I am switching to NVivo 10 part way through my study and am struggling to adapt my clunky "manual" codes to ones that are better suited to use in qualittive software. For example, my old coding scheme used codes such as these:

- participating in class (parent code)

----aids learning (child code)

----waste of time (child code)

- presenting in class (parent code)

I understand from some very helpful forum posts that a cleaner way to code in NVivo would be:

- participating in class (parent code)

- presenting in class (parent code)

- usefulness for learning (parent code)

In theory this second approach should make it easier to make good use of the analytic tools in NVivo.

For purposes of this conversation let's imagine some of the codes act as nouns (the act of participating, the act of presenting) while others act as adjectives modifying those nouns (aids learning, does not aid learning).

My challenge is this: often sections of source text relate to more than one code. This is challenging when I can no longer tell which "noun" codes are being modified by which "adjective" codes. For instance, a subject might say, "Participating in class and presenting - they're kind of the same, but the first one really helps me learn, where the other is useless." In my old coding scheme, I would have coded that sentence as both particpating in class/aids learning AND presenting in class/waste of time. But in the new coding scheme, I would code it as participating in class AND presenting in class AND aids learning AND waste of time. How will I know which behaviour aids learning and which is a waste of time?

This is only one combination of a clash of codes. I have many more. How have others addressed this issue? Is there a better way to structure the coding scheme, or can the software offer a solution?

Thank you in advance,

Michelle from Vancouver

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Michelle,

One option may be to code parts of the sentence instead of coding the entire sentence to various nodes. So, for example, in the sentence “Participating in class and presenting – they’re kind of the same …” you can code ‘participating in class’ to ‘participating in class’ parent node and code ‘really helps me learn’ to ‘aids learning’ child node and so forth.

To find out which behaviour aids learning and which is a waste of time, you can then run ‘Matrix Coding’ or ‘Advanced Coding’ queries to find ‘NEAR content’ between two (or two set of) nodes . Refer to the link below for more information:

http://webhelp-nv10...._in_queries.htm

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Mohammad