Hi,

I'm having trouble working out the most efficient way to set up coding for 60 interview transcripts.

I have two participant groups who completed separate interviews, however sometimes they spoke in each other's interviews as well, which I will include in my coding. So I don't think I can analyse accurately through the use of an attribute query.

I am analyzing interviews where these participants discussed why they were satisfied or dissatisfied with three different services they received. The sources of satisfaction and dissatisfaction will be my themes. From what I can see, it seems the three services will have different themes but there will also be some themes that are consistent across the three services. I want to see the results overall as well as by participant group and by services individually.

I would like to analyse the themes under a) satisfaction and B) dissatisfaction for the following combinations:

1. participant group 1, covering service 1

2. participant group 1, covering service 2

3. participant group 1, covering service 3

4. participant group 1, covering all three services combined

5. participant group 2, covering service 1

6. participant group 2, covering service 2

7. participant group 2, covering service 3

8. participant group 2, covering all three services combined

9. both participant groups covering service 1

10. both participant groups covering service 2

11. both participant groups covering service 3

12. both participant groups combined, covering all three services combined

What is the best way to code themes of satisfaction and dissatisfaction so I can discuss the results according similarities and differences between the participant groups and services?

Thank you for your help!

Hello,

I would suggest three types of nodes to get you started - 'Participant Group', 'Service' and 'Satisfied/Dissatisfied'.

• Code each participant group to the appropriate 'Participant' node, e.g. Participant Group 1 or Participant Group 2.
  • Create a sub (or child) node for each service under the 'Service' node, e.g. Service 1, 2, 3
  • Create a Satisfied and Dissatisfied Node
  • Presumably you will want to pull out why a particular participant group is satisfied or dissatisfied with a service so create thematic nodes as they are found in the data.

Then....when participant 1 talks about how satisfied/Dissatisfied they are with a particular service, you code the same piece of text at four nodes -

• Participant Group
  • Service 1 or 2
  • Dissatisfied or Satisfied node
  • and.....the 'Why' node that may be created on the fly.

The coding queries (matrix and coding) can then be used to asked any of your questions outlined in your message.

BTW: If you have any software questions, best to post to the Question and Answer forum rather than this one.

Hope that helps.

Sue