mnls

Importing interview transcripts (.doc or rtf) containing a table

mnls    0

Hi,

I wish to enquire about importing transcripts containing 2 tables as follows:

Formatted transcripts comprising 8 questions labelled Q.1 to Q.8 (heading 1 applied). However, for heading 2 applied to the questions that appear on a table such that column 1 is the item/concept under consideration, column 2 is the response/rating on a 9 point scale (i.e., a number) and column 3 being the explanation for the rating. So for questions 1 I have: Q.1a for the item under consideration in column 1 and the next 2 columns for the rating and explanation respectively. Q.1b for the next item under consideration (column 1 and row 2), and next 2 colums under under row 2 for rating and explanation. For question 8 I have the same format as for question 1(e.g., Q.8a, Q.8b, Q.8c for item, rating and explanation.

Importing 1 transcript with above format into NVivo 9 results in some errors - some of the text for explanation under colum 3 for all items is cut out by the table border on right hand side. How can I resolve this?

Also tried cutting out questions 1 and 8 from transcript (word document) and putting them into a spreadsheet, then importing into NVivo. Challenge is how to tell Nvivo that imported data set (for Q1 and Q8 components) is one set of data with the transcript, such that I can use auto code to gather all the responses from all participants to Q.1, Q.1a, .....Q.1f, Q.2, Q.3, Q.4, Q.5, Q.6, Q.7, Q.8, Q.8a, Q.8b,.....Q.8t.

Looking forward to some insights.

Kindest regards,

MS

QSRSupport    76

Hi MS,

This could be happening as data is in table cells. It is recommended that you convert the table to text in Word before importing into NVivo. You can remove tables from the Word document and then try to import the document to do autocoding.

Please refer to http://webhelp-nv10.qsrinternational.com/procedures/automatic_coding_in_document_sources.htm for information regarding autocoding.

If the issue persists please submit a contact support form mentioning this forum post with your word document attached and we will be able to assist you further.

Kind regards,

Rahul Gupta

SusannaR    0

I have experienced a similar problem with tables in Word. Although the margins of the columns are correctly formatted in the original document, when uploaded to NVivo 10, the right hand table border is cut off mid-way and the text in final column is not legible. I uploaded my files as "read only". Advice please?

SusannaR    0

As an update to this: I followed instructions from "Help" to edit the transcript which I had formatted as a table, changing it to text. Now all formatting has been lost. Can you help?

QSRSupport    76

Hi Susanna,

Thanks for your query.

You may try and change your page layout in NVivo to see if it helps with this issue. To do so:

1. Import your document into NVivo
  2. Open the document in detail view
  3. In the Layout tab, under the Page section, click on Page Setup
  4. Change the Orientation to Landscape and select A4 from the size drop down list (Please select A3 if it is visible in the size list)
  5. Click OK

Once you have followed the above steps, you may be able to expand your table by dragging the right hand margin to further right. To expand or contract the table cells move your cursor over the margin,
once you see a bold arrow pointing in both directions, click and drag it in the desired direction.

As another workaround to this issue, you may also try and copy your table from the word document into an excel spreadsheet. You can then import the excel document into NVivo by clicking on Dataset button
under the External tab.

Regards,

Rahul