lmw242

Help with Looking at Data

Please help. I'm new(ish) to NVivo, but reached a point where I can't figure out what to do next.

I have 22 participants in my research project. Each has a first interview, second interview, telephone call and diary each recorded as a document. I have coded all documents and have a great tree structure and can see trends developing. All great! However, I would like to look at my tree nodes but only 'seeing' the data from participant #1, or participant #2. How do I do this? I have set up all the documents for a participant as cases. But I'm stuck......Help Please! :o:o

You use the Search Tool to do this.

Open the Search tool. Click on the Node button at the top of the tool and select the node you want to look at. It will put the results in the default location called Search Results - but you might want to rename the node to something more meaingful than 'Single Node Lookup' (such as Jane on Topic X). Then click OK. In the middle of the Search Tool, you want to restrict the search to just a particular participant's case node. To do this, first untick the box next to Document Set and tick the box next to Node Set. Then click the button - New Node Scope. The Node Set Editor will open. In the drop down box on the left, select All Case and Case Type Nodes. In the drop down box on the right, select Working Set. Remove any nodes from the Working Set if it is not empty. In the left hand window, select the participant case node you want to look at and click the Copy button between the two windows. It will move into the Working Set. Click somewhere on the right hand window to make it active. At the top click the Save As button and name this new node set - use the participant's name so it is easy to use again. Click OK. Do Not close the Node Set Editor but click on the Search button at the top to get back to the Search Tool. You will get a message - Do you want to change the existing node scope to the specified set. Click Yes. Now run the search. You will get just that particular person's coding for the node you selected.

Hope this helps.

Silvana

Actually, I just realised there is a quicker way to do the same thing.

Open the Node Explorer and select the case node you want to restrict your search. Then click on the Search button in the Tool Bar at the top of the Node Explorer. When the Search Tool opens you see that the scope is already restricted to that case node. Then click on the Node button on the top of the Search Tool and select the node you want to look at and click OK. Then run the Search.

This is actually quicker as you do not have to keep making new node sets each time.

Funny how your brain (or at least mine) sometimes gets locked into one way of doing things. :rolleyes:

Silvana

If you want to look at a number of nodes at once for the same case, use a matrix intersection with the case (or cases if you want more than one) in the first box (to make rows) and the tree node/s in the second box (to make columns).

Incidentally, this is the nearest you can get to doing a proximity search where the 'distance' is 'within the same case'.

Pat